Old 02-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
LOSANO
Human being with feelings

Default Yesu, Nzambe na Nguya

https://soundcloud.com/wbc-studio/yesu-nzambe-na-nguya
Old 02-22-2020, 02:04 AM   #2
ivansc

Nice - I found the choir slightly overshadowing the rest of the recording/instruments, but nice. I take it this was done in Reaper?
Old 02-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
LOSANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Nice - I found the choir slightly overshadowing the rest of the recording/instruments, but nice. I take it this was done in Reaper?
Thanks, I take your constructive critics very seriously. I will go ahead and bring the choir a little bit down. Yes, it was done in reaper, with Reaper plugin (EQ/Compressor). Again, thank you.
Here is the remixed one: https://soundcloud.com/wbc-studio/ye...na-nguya22eb20

Last edited by LOSANO; 02-22-2020 at 08:13 PM.
LOSANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:42 AM   #4
ivansc

On my laptop so hard to tell... I will get back to you after I try it on my studio monitors. Wish someone else would take time to comment.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #5
LOSANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
On my laptop so hard to tell... I will get back to you after I try it on my studio monitors. Wish someone else would take time to comment.
Yes, I wish that was the case. But, your comments are helping out a lot. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #6
martifingers

Hi Losano. Very attractive music indeed. I have one thought which I am struggling to pin down. It's almost to my ears that the choir (especially in the first section) are occupying a separate acoustic/sonic space to the rest of the instrumentation. This may not be an issue at all as I am not very familiar with this genre and it may indeed be the sound you want.

I might also be under the influence of this video where Mike Senior talks about adding artificial reverb to a vocal to match it to the rest of the band recorded sort-of separately. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnbI4FPognw&t=143s

Hope this is helpful.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
tspring

Hi Losano. Your recordings continue to improve. This one is one of your best for sure. I have two suggestions for you to consider. First, think about cutting out some of the repetitions of the "Hosannas" in the first part of the performance. They repeat almost exactly for nearly a minute and a half. This will cause many listeners to lose interest in the song before they get to the best part of the song. I would suggest no more than 30 seconds of repetition at the start of the song is needed to establish the feel that the "Hosannas" give to the start.I really like the percussion that comes in at about 1:30 and continues through the song.

Then toward the end of the song, the lead singer's voice is so heavily auto-tuned that odd artifacts are being introduced. To my ear, they are distracting and interfere with being able to appreciate what the singer is doing. I think that you can adjust/reduce the auto-tuning to eliminate the artifacts. In some problematic areas, you might need to do manual correction, which is tedious but can reduce the artifacts.

One simple way to address martinfingers point concerning reverb is to back off a bit on the reverb applied to each track (assuming that it is not natural room reverb), and to add a small amount to the master track. This has worked for me.

This recording needs just a little work to be really good.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
LOSANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Hi Losano. Very attractive music indeed. I have one thought which I am struggling to pin down. It's almost to my ears that the choir (especially in the first section) are occupying a separate acoustic/sonic space to the rest of the instrumentation. This may not be an issue at all as I am not very familiar with this genre and it may indeed be the sound you want.

I might also be under the influence of this video where Mike Senior talks about adding artificial reverb to a vocal to match it to the rest of the band recorded sort-of separately. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnbI4FPognw&t=143s

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
LOSANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
Hi Losano. Your recordings continue to improve. This one is one of your best for sure. I have two suggestions for you to consider. First, think about cutting out some of the repetitions of the "Hosannas" in the first part of the performance. They repeat almost exactly for nearly a minute and a half. This will cause many listeners to lose interest in the song before they get to the best part of the song. I would suggest no more than 30 seconds of repetition at the start of the song is needed to establish the feel that the "Hosannas" give to the start.I really like the percussion that comes in at about 1:30 and continues through the song.

Then toward the end of the song, the lead singer's voice is so heavily auto-tuned that odd artifacts are being introduced. To my ear, they are distracting and interfere with being able to appreciate what the singer is doing. I think that you can adjust/reduce the auto-tuning to eliminate the artifacts. In some problematic areas, you might need to do manual correction, which is tedious but can reduce the artifacts.

One simple way to address martinfingers point concerning reverb is to back off a bit on the reverb applied to each track (assuming that it is not natural room reverb), and to add a small amount to the master track. This has worked for me.

This recording needs just a little work to be really good.

T
You are really helpful, the tips you gave me will help a lot. As far as the percussion is concerned, I have made each one of them with my Korg 88.

Last edited by LOSANO; 03-05-2020 at 04:17 PM.
LOSANO is offline   Reply With Quote