Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 AM   #1
JonasHAnd
Human being with feelings

Default Mouse modifier Ctrl+Cmd conflicts OS X

Hi!

Does anyone know if I can turn off OS X mouse shortcut for Ctrl+Cmd+Left drag (move window)
I'd like to make a mouse modifier with Ctrl+Cmd Click but it gets overruled by OS X.

Thanks for any input

Last edited by JonasHAnd; 06-24-2019 at 11:37 AM.
JonasHAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHAnd View Post
Hi!

Does anyone know if I can turn off OS X mouse shortcut for Ctrl+Cmd+Left drag (move window)
I'd like to make a mouse modifier with Ctrl+Cmd Click but it gets overruled by OS X.

Thanks for any input
You can uncheck a bunch of shortcuts under:

Apple Menu/System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
JonasHAnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
You can uncheck a bunch of shortcuts under:

Apple Menu/System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts
Thanks for the suggestion, however there are no mouse modifier shortcuts listed there only keyboard shortcuts. So I can disable CMD+right arrow for example but not Ctrl+CMD+Leftclick since it is not listed there.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
o_e

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, however there are no mouse modifier shortcuts listed there only keyboard shortcuts. So I can disable CMD+right arrow for example but not Ctrl+CMD+Leftclick since it is not listed there.
I just checked Ctrl+cmd+Leftclick on the finder, it does the same as Ctrl+click (which does the same as rightclick), I doubt that something like mouse modifiers exist on mac os..

I'am using the Ctrl in Reaper to emulate the rightclick, so I can't reproduce your problem..
Old 06-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
JonasHAnd

Quote:
I just checked Ctrl+cmd+Leftclick on the finder, it does the same as Ctrl+click (which does the same as rightclick), I doubt that something like mouse modifiers exist on mac os..

I'am using the Ctrl in Reaper to emulate the rightclick, so I can't reproduce your problem..
Ok when I do Ctrl+CMD leftclick in Finder, Textedit and in Reaper and other app windows (but not Firefox or Chrome) it means that i can grab and move the window as if I was clicking at the top bar even though I'm in the middle of the window with the mouse cursor. So why do I have this and not you seems we have different settings perhaps?

In firefox and chrome Ctrl+Cmd leftclick = rightclick menu
so in these apps I have the same function as you
Old 06-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
o_e

Quote:
Ok when I do Ctrl+CMD leftclick in Finder, Textedit and in Reaper and other app windows (but not Firefox or Chrome) it means that i can grab and move the window as if I was clicking at the top bar even though I'm in the middle of the window with the mouse cursor. So why do I have this and not you seems we have different settings perhaps?

In firefox and chrome Ctrl+Cmd leftclick = rightclick menu
so in these apps I have the same function as you
Did you also look into the 'Accessibility' System Preferences Pane, do you have anything checked there by chance?

And I'am on Mac OS 10.11.6 aka 'El Captain', maybe you are on a newer OS?

Just checked 'Textedit', same thing as I described above, Ctrl+Cmd+Leftclick gives me a rightclick context menu
Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 AM   #7
JonasHAnd

Quote:
Did you also look into the 'Accessibility' System Preferences Pane, do you have anything checked there by chance?

And I'am on Mac OS 10.11.6 aka 'El Captain', maybe you are on a newer OS?

Just checked 'Textedit', same thing as I described above, Ctrl+Cmd+Leftclick gives me a rightclick context menu
I'm on 10.9.5 mavericks so I'm on an older one actually. No clues in Accessibility either, nothing about mouse shortcuts or anything related.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
JonasHAnd

I found out the problem, I had an old app that I had installed many years ago and forgotten about, that was causing trouble, called "MagicPrefs". I had only partly uninstalled it so it was functioning in some way through a custom preference pane that was not uninstalled. After uninstalling all files associated with MagicPrefs I can now assign a mouse modifier to Ctrl+CMD+LClick in Reaper and the "move window" behaviour is gone.

Thanks o_e for your help! Knowing that you could not reproduce the problem made me suspect it was coming from some kind app extension rather then the Mac preferences.

I hope I can help you back someday!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
JonasHAnd

Ok the problem is back again!

Damn I'm lost again as to what could be causing the problem.

It seems rather erratic, sometimes it works and the mouse modifier action is run in reaper and sometimes the reaper window moves. Sometimes the window doesn't move but the mouse modifier action does not work anyway.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:42 AM   #10
o_e

Quote:
Ok the problem is back again!

Damn I'm lost again as to what could be causing the problem.

It seems rather erratic, sometimes it works and the mouse modifier action is run in reaper and sometimes the reaper window moves. Sometimes the window doesn't move but the mouse modifier action does not work anyway.
Are you absolutly sure you deinstalled the 'MagicPrefs' now completly?
Maybe it is good to make a fresh OS install on an exteral hard drive and then install only Reaper and (double-)check how it behaves..

Don't know if it's worth the effort though? But it seems that you really want to solve this instead of using a workaround like another modifier..?

Edit: First you could make a fresh Reaper portable install to exlude that some Reaper Prefs get corrupted

http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/

Last edited by o_e; 06-25-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
JonasHAnd

Quote:
Are you absolutly sure you deinstalled the 'MagicPrefs' now completly?
Maybe it is good to make a fresh OS install on an exteral hard drive and then install only Reaper and (double-)check how it behaves..

Don't know if it's worth the effort though? But it seems that you really want to solve this instead of using a workaround like another modifier..?

Edit: First you could make a fresh Reaper portable install to exlude that some Reaper Prefs get corrupted

http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/
Thanks, now it works! And it's not erratic anymore, didn't want to post until I was sure that it didn't come back.

What I did was I restarted into safe mode and started reaper from there, there everything worked and then when I restarted into normal mode the problem was gone. I can't make sense of it, reminds me of Windows XP.

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
o_e

Quote:
I can't make sense of it, reminds me of Windows XP.
It does make sense to start into safe mode, I think caches are deleted (and rebuild) which does in your case makes absolutly sense..
Glad you solved it :-)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
JonasHAnd

Quote:
It does make sense to start into safe mode, I think caches are deleted (and rebuild) which does in your case makes absolutly sense..
Glad you solved it :-)
Ok, then that makes sense, thanks for explaining!
Old 04-23-2020, 02:35 AM   #14
JonasHAnd

Just an update if anyone has the same problem and does a search...

Yesterday I had this problem happen again, after some searching I found the culprit was a plugin called Afloat, that enables you to make windows transparent or stay on top of all other windows.

It also adds this ctrl+cmd window drag functionality apparently. So after disabling this plugin in easySIMBL I have no problems anymore.