Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default 'Snap to' key of Octatonic scale

The octatonic scale is widely used in film music composition (action music, horror/scary music), as I am using it almost daily in my Composing for Film and TV course at Berklee College of Music online.

It would be immensely helpful if Reaper had a [x]Snap to Key with a choice of the three octatonic scales (there are only three). As Reaper now stands, I have to choose not to snap to any key, and then constantly choose the notes for constructing chords from an octatonic scale. How amazing it would be to be able to paint chords based on an octatonic scale, like can be done now for major and minor scales.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #2
Lokasenna

- Download this: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/8075/ZD-Ultimate.reascale
- In the scale menu for the MIDI editor's Key Snap, choose Load (down at the bottom)
- Load the .reascale file you downloaded
- In the 8 Note Scales section, you'll find Whole-Half Diminished and Half-Whole Diminished right at the top.

(Those are the two modes of what's commonly called "The" octatonic scale despite there being a few dozen possible combinations of eight notes)

Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
- Download this: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/8075/ZD-Ultimate.reascale
- In the scale menu for the MIDI editor's Key Snap, choose Load (down at the bottom)
- Load the .reascale file you downloaded
- In the 8 Note Scales section, you'll find Whole-Half Diminished and Half-Whole Diminished right at the top.

(Those are the two modes of what's commonly called "The" octatonic scale despite there being a few dozen possible combinations of eight notes)

SWWWWEEEEEEET! Thank you!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Ozman

Yep, that's the one I use.
It has everything, plus more.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote