Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #41
Pet
Human being with feelings

Hey blumpy,
happy you like it!

I'm actually working on it and am adjusting the MIDI Note colors. I do have these "Separators" prepared and am also working on some track layouts with horizontal meters as well as folder indention in the mixer.

The Colormap is coming soon.
But I'm not sure yet, if I should add the additional layouts to this theme or make a new version called "extended" or so.

My basic idea was to stay as close as possible to the original default theme, with REAPER newcomers in mind. But OTOH, two separators and 2 or 3 more tcp-layouts probably won't overcharge somebody...

Stay tuned!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #42
blumpy

Default Great!

That's great. Thank you for making that. I can see why you'd it an extended version. Please let me know when you post it!

Cheers!
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #43
DomiKamu

Cool theme, I'll test it! thank you very much!

EDIT: now I'm using it, it's better for my old eyes.

Last edited by DomiKamu; 04-06-2017 at 11:40 PM.
DomiKamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #44
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
My favorite theme on REAPER. Thank you!

I'd love to see a track and mixer panel that's just blank.... no controls or meters. Something to separate sections in the arrangement window and mixer.
Me too. I just tried this for the first time, and noticed right away there are no separators. The blank one is as close as you get, and it has the white space for the channel name. Almost but not quite. Any way to get rid of the track name and just have it completely empty and blank?
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #45
Pet

OK, you all convinced me to add the separators...

I wanted to upload the colormap today, but I'll combine the upload with the separators, there are some tiny fixes to do, stay tuned!

Thanks!

@edkilp: meanwhile delete the name and set the color of the track to 51/51/51
Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #46
Pet

Default Update with Colormap and separators

Hello all,
here is an Update with a reworked colormap for the MIDI-Editor, some changes in the track list of the ME and also the requested separators for the arrange view and the mixer.

I wanted to modify the colormap cause I like the gradient I've made for the unselected notes and thought I could do something more like that. It took me quite a while to rebuild the default colormap and to find out how the colors and gradients are chosen before I could start tinkering around with it. And my final conclusion was that it is perfect AS IT IS. Finally it ended up with minor tweaks at the frames of the notes and the saturation of one single note... ...and the unselected notes are a little brighter. You probably will not notice that at all.
But at least my Photoshop and Illustrator skills are a bit better now.

I also fixed some ugly things I overlooked like the 3D-Highlighting in the IO-Routing windows.

The separators can have names, I used a bold font which you can change in the theme editor (it's Font 8).
Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #47
blumpy

Default Awesome!

This is great. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #48
Pet

Default Update

Hello,
I decided to make two versions, that gives me the option to keep the "Default5Dark" as it is and add more layouts to the "Extended" version. So you can choose which one you want to use.
As mentioned already, I can't stop thinking of new Reaper users just wanting a darker theme, but with the same layout.

So the new "Default 5 Dark Extended" Theme has the separators and will have more layouts in the future. I'm working on some tcp-layouts and folder indention in the mixer.

For the track layouts, here's a little teaser :

Last edited by Pet; 04-14-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #49
sostenuto

Was quite hesitant at first as narrow minded and committed to WT or early Default v5 Themes. Seems you have done a great job and had already started using Default v5 Dark.

Thank-you for impressive work and this new 'Extended' Theme !
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #50
ReaperMadness

This Niiice...

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #51
Pet

Thanks guys, I'm pleased!
@Reapermadness, no toolbar glitches anymore?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #52
ReaperMadness

Yes...

But I don't care!

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 04-14-2017 at 06:21 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #53
TDI90

I am really digging this theme; thanks for all the work in developing it.

A quick question, is it possible to have the backgrounds of inserts and sends on the mixer panel to share a darker tint of the track colour?
TDI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #54
Pet

Hi TDI90,
you can do this by modifying the transparency of the grey area in the "mcp_extmixbg.png". But keep the pink lines untouched.

There are some other images you can change for this, like "mcp_fxparm_norm.png", "mcp_fxlist_norm.png" or "mcp_sendlist_norm.png".
For a complete list of the images have a look here: http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/images.php, if you haven't already.

If you need some help to find the images within REAPER, I posted a workaround how to show them in this thread: Change Reaper's Gray Background Color?. That works for the used colors as well as for the images.

HTH
Old 06-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #55
TDI90

Fantastic, thanks for that information.

I shall have a gander at what you pointed out.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #56
TDI90

I am doing something wrong, it seems.

I am no great Photoshopper, but I did what you said to do using two methods;

1) Create a layer from the grey boxes and then change the opacity of that
2) Select the grey boxes and use the Fill function to change it that way.

On both occasions, when I replaced the file, zipped it, renamed it and put it into REAPER; REAPER just defaulted to its most basic theme. So I must be doing something wrong.

I have attached my file.
Attached Images
File Type: png mcp_fxlist_norm.png (195 Bytes, 525 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #57
Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI90 View Post
...REAPER just defaulted to its most basic theme...
Heh heh, I know that trap very well ! This happens when REAPER doesn't find the folder with the images. To check that, open the "*.ReaperTheme" (NOT the *.ReaperThemeZip) in a text editor.
  • Scroll down to the bottom and look for these two lines:
    => ui_img=Default_5_Dark_EXTENDED
    this may differ from yours, BUT this tells REAPER the name of the folder with the images
    => ui_img_path=D:\_Programme\MusikProgs\Reaper 5.0 Pre Daten\ColorThemes\- extended
    THIS tells REAPER, where that folder is on your HD (I just copied it from my system as example)
Cause I don't know how and where you unpacked the theme, I can't be more detailed, but I'm sure you understand. For general informations about this, go to this thread: 2. Common tweaks to a REAPER theme to the "Required knowledge : Unpacking a theme" part.
--------------------------------------------------------
The Photoshop-Thingy
I downloaded your attachement and s.th. is indeed wrong with it, I can see the pink lines in the theme.
  • Personally I do it this way:
    => The very first thing I do in PS is to select the pink lines and cut them out to a new layer. They MUST BE RGB 255/0/255 and ZERO transparency. Move this layer above all other layers.
    => Now you can do with the layers below whatever you want without accidently changing the pink lines.
PS: You have changed the "mcp_extmixbg.png" already, haven't you? Otherwise you won't see the opacity changes in the "mcp_fxlist_norm.png", cause it's almost the same color...
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #58
TDI90

Thanks for the help; I got there in the end!

The next thing I do may be to make the boxes for the inserts and sends a tad darker.
Main objective achieved though!

https://image.ibb.co/dFBesk/Capture.png

Thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #59
Pet

Well done, go ahead!
Thanks for the capture! Just ask again, if necessary.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #60
Juca

Nice work in this theme!
Congrats!!!
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #61
Gass n Klang

nice theme! Standard from now on.
Gass n Klang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #62
blumpy

Default Dark Expanded suggestion......

I'm not sure if this is possible but a mixer that puts the track name at the bottom of the channel and the track number above the pan....Effectively swapping the two. As ridiculous as it sounds I can never find the track names where they are and I never reference by track number.

Does anyone else have this person malfunction?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 11.26.58 AM.png (14.0 KB, 480 views)
Old 06-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #63
madahorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
I'm not sure if this is possible but a mixer that puts the track name at the bottom of the channel and the track number above the pan....Effectively swapping the two. As ridiculous as it sounds I can never find the track names where they are and I never reference by track number.

Does anyone else have this person malfunction?

Oh yes, I need the Track Name in the middle of my screen if possible, not bottom.
madahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #64
Pet

Default Horizontal Meters - Status Report

Hi, first I want to thank the people who find my work valuable enough to post a comment here. That means much to me.

The additional tcp layouts I mentioned a while ago use the flow settings and are user editable as White Tie explaines here: Editing the Default 5 Theme. I wanted to keep that under any circumstances.

To make a long story short, it works like this:

I admit that it doesn't look very spectacular. I modified the flow macro to get the hiding in the vertical axis. Probably total needlessly bloated WALTER . But it works.
There's another layout with the meter sticking under the last control element so that all controls are always visible (WIP).

And I found in Bernstraw's GrayMatter V4 Theme something really cool, which I've shamelessly stolen and adapted to my mod: the "Foldermeter", that shows the meter in supercollapsed folder child tracks. I made this available for ALL layouts, even the default one's. It can be turned on/off for every single layout (global on/off is WIP).

Here it is:

O.K., that's what I wanted to show you, hope you like it...

Peter

PS: @blumpy: Your suggestion for the mixer is on my ToDo-list. As you see ATM I'm focused on the tcp.

Last edited by Pet; 12-25-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:43 AM   #65
blumpy

Nice TCP layout and the group meter will be a welcome addition.
Thank you!
Old 08-27-2017, 04:51 AM   #66
Pet

Default Graphical Updates

Hello,
some graphical things changed/added. I still used the default "Record Arm" buttons in the tcp...

Changelog:
  • "Record Arm" buttons in TrackControlPanel adapted to other record buttons
  • Fixed "Record Arm" button shadow in tcp-small layouts
  • Fader buttons in mixer reworked
Download:
Default 5 Dark from Stash
Default 5 Dark Extended from Stash
Peter

Last edited by Pet; 09-20-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #67
nver

Default dB meter gets stuck on red color after loud signal

Hi there

I am using "Default_5_Dark_Extended" and love this already. Thanks for the great work.

The only odd thing I noticed is the dB meter colors on track and mixer gets stuck on RED color once the meter hits in red signal zone.

Otherwise a great theme. many thanks
nver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #68
geoslake

Thanks a lot for the updates Pet !! Love it.
geoslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #69
lexaproductions

Thanks for this GREAT enhancement to the regular theme. After a full week of work, it has become my main theme. Great balance between upgrading the default theme without having to relearn where is everything.

Nice Job!!!
lexaproductions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:36 AM   #70
Pet

Default Extended Theme Upgrade

Hi,
the "Default 5 Dark Extended" Update is in the stash, with:
  • Horizontal Meters in the TCP
  • Bernstraws "Foldermeter"
In post #64 you can see what it looks like.

Downloads:Thanks to the posters for the encouragement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nver View Post
The only odd thing I noticed is the dB meter colors on track and mixer gets stuck on RED color once the meter hits in red signal zone.
This is intended to point out that something has "oversteered". This behaviour is the same as in the default theme.
And by the way, I'm happy that you find my Theme-mod worthy enough to write your very first post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
...without having to relearn where is everything.
This was my main intention, thanks!

Have fun with it,
Peter
Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 AM   #71
dOhm

Many thanks indeed, I love it !
It's relaxing for my eyes...
Old 12-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #72
FleshIsFlawed

Great modification to the theme, here! Especially loving the extended edition! I'm trying to do some very minor edits to the button order on the "Standard Horizontal Meter" , Essentially I just want to get the record, volume, and pan and routing over to the other side, and maybe to do a few other tweaks, do you have any advice? I tried reading a tutorial, but it was on how to edit the default theme, and didn't do the trick for some reason. Also hoping to switch the meter on "Small Full meter (with value readouts)" to the other side, and reorganize the buttons similarly.

I was going off this tutorial: http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...dit_def_5.html

And I'm pretty sure I followed all the steps properly. Thanks so much if anyone has any advice!
FleshIsFlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #73
Pet

Default Ooops!

Sorry, there was a little Ooopsie in the latest "Default 5 Dark Extended" upload. In my WIP-themes the "Region lane background" color is flaming red to remind me that it is the WIP. I overlooked that.

For direct download with the corrected color: Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshIsFlawed View Post
...Essentially I just want to get the record, volume, and pan and routing over to the other side, and maybe to do a few other tweaks, do you have any advice? I tried reading a tutorial, but it was on how to edit the default theme, and didn't do the trick for some reason. Also hoping to switch the meter on "Small Full meter (with value readouts)" to the other side, and reorganize the buttons similarly.
Hi "FleshIsFlawed" and welcome here!
At first I would recommend to watch a video made by Kenny Gioia: "Editing the Default 5.0 Theme". Same title, but a very detailed video, from the video section on top of the forum pages. I'm sure that will help you to place the buttons where you want them.

Concerning the "Small Full Meter" I don't exactly understand what you mean by "...to the other side". I assume you want to have the meter sticking to the left with the buttons to its right?
This could be done with an additional layout, but not with the user editable sections afaik. But it's a good idea, I will add this. I think it is also necessary to create a horizontal meter for the master track, but I'm a little bit busy with other things atm...so I'll do my best...

Peter
Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #74
FleshIsFlawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
Hi "FleshIsFlawed" and welcome here!
At first I would recommend to watch a video made by Kenny Gioia: "Editing the Default 5.0 Theme". Same title, but a very detailed video, from the video section on top of the forum pages. I'm sure that will help you to place the buttons where you want them.

Concerning the "Small Full Meter" I don't exactly understand what you mean by "...to the other side". I assume you want to have the meter sticking to the left with the buttons to its right?
This could be done with an additional layout, but not with the user editable sections afaik. But it's a good idea, I will add this. I think it is also necessary to create a horizontal meter for the master track, but I'm a little bit busy with other things atm...so I'll do my best...

Peter
Thanks much for the advice, and for considering adding the flipped layout I mentioned! You had it right, I just want the buttons closer to the edge so i don't have to navigate in so far every time I want to touch a knob :P
Happy holidays!
FleshIsFlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #75
Pet

Default Update

Since REAPER v5.62 the colors in the musical notation mode of the MIDI Editor can be changed.
A little late I have now adapted these colors.

Direkt Download:
Default 5 Dark
Default 5 Dark Extended
Have fun!
Peter

Last edited by Pet; 12-19-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #76
sightlessness

My fave theme so far (except the Pro Tools 12.5). This one unfortunately has
more functionality than the mentioned above. Ok, that sounded like a bummer, lol, but really this theme is very good in its inception, your version
is better I think. But I still think PT 12.5 is better look wise (as in
it works better to they eyes, I am not a fan of Pro Tools, but its interface
is stellar I think when working all day on projects).

Ok, what I am trying to say is thank you very much, lol.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #77
Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Ok, what I am trying to say is thank you very much, lol.
You're welcome.

Peter
Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #78
lxm

Can the tracks be colored solid with this theme?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:23 AM   #79
Pet

Hi lxm,
if you are talking about more saturated colours, I would strongly recommend Airon's Colour Swatch tool. The images of the theme are made to show the chosen colours more than in the default theme.

If you are talking about the gradients in the tcp/mcp and the items, you would have to modify the according images.
=>tcp_bg.png/tcp_bgsel.png for TrackControlPanels
=>mcp_bg.png/mcp_bgsel.png for MixerControlPanels
=>item_bg.png/item_bgsel.png for items

HTH,
Peter
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #80
javiramallo

Hi!.

In narrows layouts is not possible to open the folders.
Could this problem be solved in the future?

Thanks!

Last edited by javiramallo; 03-22-2018 at 03:43 PM.
javiramallo is online now   Reply With Quote