Old 01-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
storminheaven
Human being with feelings

Default Samplers or plugin?

Good Evening, I want to have a go at sampling I've had a quick look what's available and have seen some standalone samplers like volca sample or akai mpx8, my main needs are to build beats like nas ilmatic,the chronic or dj shadow, uncle and some drum and bass, goldie Adam f.. I quite like the idea of having a,physical box to play with, with knows and buttons but for around 80quid/100 dollars would there be a more powerful plugin for the same money that I could buy? As I'm new to sampling I don't want to spend a load of money on something like kontact, until I have got more skill at sampling, as it seems quite confusing at this point, I saw the "tal" plugin that is also a good synthesiser apparently.. Ile probably go with the volca but it would be handy to have sd card as I will be using a,lot of my own samples from a,live drum kit and bass etc so any ideas would be great, thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 05:05 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi. This is not my area of expertise but would a MIDI keyboard (so you have an ability for regular note entry as well) with pads that can trigger samples and knobs that can be assigned to modulate any parameter you want be an alternative worth considering? eg https://www.akaipro.com/mpk-mini-mkii

But as I say I am no expert and I suppose there must be a very good reason why dedicated samplers are still sold. Ease of use I guess? It'll be interesting to hear what real experts think...
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
beingmf

The artists you mentioned all produced the most valuable part of their oeuvre in the 90s/early 2000s ‒ so I guess a hardware sampler would rather get you the sound you're looking for. Except the TAL sampler indeed, but AFAIK it only has 4 slots, right?

Some AKAIs, E-Mu's, the Ensoniq ASR and the Yamaha Motif XS/XF are still relatively cheap. Ah, not to forget the Zoom Sampletrak (which I didn't really gel with tbh).

That said, is it a question about the sound or about the workflow/live-performance usability?
Old 01-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
storminheaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
The artists you mentioned all produced the most valuable part of their oeuvre in the 90s/early 2000s ‒ so I guess a hardware sampler would rather get you the sound you're looking for. Except the TAL sampler indeed, but AFAIK it only has 4 slots, right?

Some AKAIs, E-Mu's, the Ensoniq ASR and the Yamaha Motif XS/XF are still relatively cheap. Ah, not to forget the Zoom Sampletrak (which I didn't really gel with tbh).

That said, is it a question about the sound or about the workflow/live-performance usability?
Yep all 90s, what a great era for innovational music..not looking for live performance like shadow does, just something to create at home, I actually just purchased a volca sample,it will Def help me get started and Learn the basics, would the mpc machines from that period have a real significance on the actual sound quality then? I would of thought they were more lofi than the modern mpc equivalents and the new ones have the added bonus of USB and sd cards etc..the ones dj shadow used are 500quid upwards so I wouldn't be looking at those unless they sounded "better" than a modern unit..thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminheaven View Post
Yep all 90s, what a great era for innovational music..not looking for live performance like shadow does, just something to create at home, I actually just purchased a volca sample,it will Def help me get started and Learn the basics, would the mpc machines from that period have a real significance on the actual sound quality then? I would of thought they were more lofi than the modern mpc equivalents and the new ones have the added bonus of USB and sd cards etc..the ones dj shadow used are 500quid upwards so I wouldn't be looking at those unless they sounded "better" than a modern unit..thanks
I'd say it all comes down to your level of nostalgia, kind of Some say the MPC's (16 bit machines like the 2000 or the mighty 3000) envelopes are snappier than software equivalents or modern hardware, but it shouldn't hold you back (re)creating tracks, especially when you start off.
What actually is "better" or worse, is in the hands of the producer interacting with the machine - but you have to start somewhere. Maybe the Volca is your dream machine? Fingers are crossed!
Old 01-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
storminheaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
I'd say it all comes down to your level of nostalgia, kind of Some say the MPC's (16 bit machines like the 2000 or the mighty 3000) envelopes are snappier than software equivalents or modern hardware, but it shouldn't hold you back (re)creating tracks, especially when you start off.
What actually is "better" or worse, is in the hands of the producer interacting with the machine - but you have to start somewhere. Maybe the Volca is your dream machine? Fingers are crossed!
Ile see how I get on with sampling first, I'm not that nostalgic for those records to spend 500 plus on a 3000. I did actually buy a mpc studio not long ago which is probably suitable for what I need
And only 150quid but sold it as I needed the money.im sure you can do anything on that, that can be done on an old school mpc..Cheers
Old 01-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
themixtape

Windows user? Grab the Poise plugin at www.onesmallclue.com (it's free). Powerful as hell, midi-mappable.

For about $100, you can get an Akai MPD218... and it can reflect what you see in the Poise plugin. Bonus-- those 6 encoders can be midi-mapped to sample start/end points, pitch, etc, for whatever pad cell you last hit (the "active" pad). Very powerful.

There are other options, but as far as cheap cost goes, it's hard to beat Poise, plus a basic midi drum pad controller.

Side note-- love DJ Shadow and all that shit. If you want to do what he did best (on Endtroducing)... Poise is killer. Free, and if you midi-map the pad cells to match your controller, you can do a LOT.

Another option is MPC Beats from Akai. It is also free. You can midi-map stuff custom in that plugin as well. And it's a lot of fun to use (plus, you can download a ton of free drum programs/kits, etc). Totally worth a look.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-29-2021, 09:13 PM   #8
themixtape

If you have an ipad laying around...

The $4 app Koala Sampler is AMAZING. The developer just released Samurai Mode for it (another $3)... you can DJ Shadow the hell out of anything with that app.

Best paired with the $4 app "Audioshare" so you can transfer samples easily from your computer to the ipad, via wi-fi, and drag/drop, do whatever you want.

You can also connect a midi drum pad to it, and midi-map it, instead of hitting the screen.

I'm not a huge mobile music app person, but it is a LOT of fun, and the price... instabuy.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
storminheaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Windows user? Grab the Poise plugin at www.onesmallclue.com (it's free). Powerful as hell, midi-mappable.

For about $100, you can get an Akai MPD218... and it can reflect what you see in the Poise plugin. Bonus-- those 6 encoders can be midi-mapped to sample start/end points, pitch, etc, for whatever pad cell you last hit (the "active" pad). Very powerful.

There are other options, but as far as cheap cost goes, it's hard to beat Poise, plus a basic midi drum pad controller.

Side note-- love DJ Shadow and all that shit. If you want to do what he did best (on Endtroducing)... Poise is killer. Free, and if you midi-map the pad cells to match your controller, you can do a LOT.

Another option is MPC Beats from Akai. It is also free. You can midi-map stuff custom in that plugin as well. And it's a lot of fun to use (plus, you can download a ton of free drum programs/kits, etc). Totally worth a look.

Hope that helps!
I've had a quick play around with the volca sample and finding it quite complicated to be honest, no way as user friendly as some people say and I don't rate the built in sounds particularly..was planning on using my own samples anyway but still, it's cool to make little short loops but I'm not sure if it's very suited to make full length songs without a lot if hassle and having to use a daw anyway so I might sell it and look into those plugins you mentioned, if all the samples are on my pc anyway it seems pointless to import the samples into the volca, which seems a lot of hassle anyway, no sd card so cheers ile check out them plugins, I already have a full size midi keyboard/controller..thanks for the info
Old 02-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
storminheaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
If you have an ipad laying around...

The $4 app Koala Sampler is AMAZING. The developer just released Samurai Mode for it (another $3)... you can DJ Shadow the hell out of anything with that app.

Best paired with the $4 app "Audioshare" so you can transfer samples easily from your computer to the ipad, via wi-fi, and drag/drop, do whatever you want.

You can also connect a midi drum pad to it, and midi-map it, instead of hitting the screen.

I'm not a huge mobile music app person, but it is a LOT of fun, and the price... instabuy.
I do actually I've just got one, Cheers ile have a look
Old 02-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #11
beingmf

Totally forgot: A friend of mine developed the "hypertron" instrument app – but it's iOS only Features are amazing!
Old 03-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #12
Dimaension X

Might I recommend Decent Sampler - a free sample player
https://www.decentsamples.com/produc...ampler-plugin/

and a multitude of instruments available for it at Pianobook, a website for sample developers. They're all free once you sign up for a free membership (Pianobook is founded by Christian Hanson, the co-developer for Spitfire Audio).
www.pianobook.co.uk
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote