Old 01-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
jtayl711
Human being with feelings

Default OSC Implementation Blues

So I feel like I've learned quite a bit about getting the functionality I want out of Reaper in the past year thanks to this fine community but I'm really feeling dumb when it comes to this. I'm trying to implement a simple TouchOSC interface and I can't get it to work and I can't quite figure out why.

I have 16 tracks. 8 tracks representing instrument inputs and 8 representing headphone submixes. Each of the 8 "input" tracks have 8 sends on them to each of the 8 headphone submixes.

In TouchOSC I'm trying to simply implement an 8-gang MultiFader that controls the sends of track 1 (and once I get that working I'll duplicate for the other 7 tracks). I've read through the Default ReaperOSC file, looked at examples of other peoples configurations (ReaFingers for one), tried implementing the CSI plugin, etc. and cannot get this to work. The frustrating thing is, I can get it to work if I build it one fader at a time, but that's not really what I want.

In TouchOSC the multifaders send the fader number at the end of the message, so I've modified the configuration file to read:

"TRACK_SEND_VOLUME n/track/@/send/@/volume n/track/@/send/volume/@"

and in TouchOSC the OSC message associated with the multifader is:

"/track/1/send/volume"

but this doesn't seem to work. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

I still don't quite fully understand the syntax of OSC. Does the name of the multifader matter? If so, in what context? Where do I need to tell Reaper the name of the multifader? If it does matter, how does a single fader work regardless of what it's name is in TouchOSC?

When I monitor the OSC stream using the "Listen" feature in Reaper, the name of the fader never appears, but I feel like I've read that it does matter.

It's easy for me to monitor when Reaper is receiving, but how do I monitor what Reaper is sending? That would certainly help troubleshoot a lot.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated. OSC seems like it could be very powerful and I'd really like to fully understand it.
jtayl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:22 AM   #2
jtayl711

Ok I think I've answered my own question. I was in fact formatting the OSC message from TouchOSC incorrectly. It had to be ""TRACK_RECV_VOLUME n/track/@/recv/volume/@
jtayl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
pljones

OSC is just strings of text. Reaper has some pattern matching rules (those "@" signs) that let it get values out of strings you send and tell it where to plug values into strings it sends. There's no "OSC syntax" as such. The syntax is purely down to what Reaper does - as you know, the "Pattern config" "Default" relates to a file called "Default.ReaperOSC" which you've seen.

"TRACK_SEND_VOLUME" would be some Reaper-defined action. That's followed by the pattern you're telling Reaper to match against strings received. The last entry tells Reaper the pattern to use to format strings it sends out.

So "n/track/@/send/@/volume" for the second string says there's going to be a string like "/track/@/send/@/volume" with a numeric parameter, when you receive it, grab the track number after "track/", the send number after "send/" and set the volume to the numeric value received.

Reaper also sends OSC messages whenever an entry in the select ReaperOSC tells it to. So here it would send whenever any track send volume was adjusted, formatting the string according to the pattern given.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote