Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
undead_vision
Human being with feelings

Default Setting up my M-Audio Fast Track Interface -- PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE!

Hey there, I downloaded the trial version of Reaper yesterday for OSX 10.7.5
I need someone to walk me through setting up my interface. I'm getting no sound out of my guitar in reaper, but I can see the signal on my interface. I have found no solution on YouTube, Google, etc. My interface is an M-Audio Fast Track. I have three links below showing screenshots of my current Reaper Preferences. Please... someone walk me through this. I really want to get started using this program ASAP.

http://postimg.org/image/r4ii9ps2f/
http://postimg.org/image/thyxrttmb/
http://postimg.org/image/5ozcauhlh/

Please shoot me an email at undead_vision@yahoo.com
undead_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
superhawk

Have you installed the latest drivers for the M-Audio?

Why is the master volume all the way off? What are you using for monitors/output?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
undead_vision

It's not giving me an option to turn the master volume all the way up. It seems to be blurred out. I just re-downloaded my M-Audio driver and nothing has changed. Is there any way you can help me through this?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
russpi

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like you have the M-Audio device as the input and the Mac for output. Either set the M-Audio as the output, or click the "Allow use of different input and output devices" box as seen in your screenshot if you want to use your Mac's output.
russpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by russpi View Post
I'm no expert, but it looks to me like you have the M-Audio device as the input and the Mac for output. Either set the M-Audio as the output, or click the "Allow use of different input and output devices" box as seen in your screenshot if you want to use your Mac's output.
Better: Make an aggregate device of both the M-Audio interface and the Mac's built-in output and then select that under Preferences/Audio/Devices.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
undead_vision

http://postimg.org/image/5a7ld2djl/

Can you please be more specific?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
undead_vision

http://postimg.org/image/aqgp22j6p/

Did you mean to make an aggregate device for the interface and the mac's output (speakers) separately? Because if so I've tried that too. I'm not getting any signal or sound of my guitar in Reaper.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
serr

OK, so the issue is not getting any inputs on the M-Audio no matter the interface configuration?

Lets backup...

You can select the M-Audio as your audio device (by looking at your pics).
That means it's connected and talking to the computer (or it would be grayed out or not in the drop down menu at all). So this is a 'yes'.

Next, when you assign a hardware input to a track (right-click or ctrl-click on the record arm button) do you see the M-Audio inputs available to select under Input: Mono or Input: Stereo in that menu? A 'no' here would suggest something wrong with the driver (ie. the units connected but the inputs are not showing up)

And can you select the input? (as in it's not grayed out)

Now go to the M-Audio. Does it have input meters or at least over lights that show you are successfully sending analog signal to it's input? (ie. plug gtr in, strum, see lights)
(We're verifying the analog instrument connection to the unit here.)

Then finally, do you see that signal on the track with that input assigned to it after clicking the record arm button?

Tell me where you get to the first 'no' in that.

Also, 48k sample rate and 512 sample buffer are a fine place to start. Just to make sure everything is on the same page...

Check those boxes next to both sample rate and block size on the Device screen.
Make sure your project sample rate is also set to 48k.

The reason: You can work with multiple sample rates in Reaper with on the fly conversion but if the device is set to one thing and AudioMIDI Setup (taking instruction from the Reaper setting on the Device page) is set to another the audio could be muted.

Once this is up and running, you can make aggregate devices to use multiple devices together. The inputs and outputs of both (all) devices in the aggregate show up together when you do this.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
undead_vision

"Next, when you assign a hardware input to a track (right-click or ctrl-click on the record arm button) do you see the M-Audio inputs available to select under Input: Mono or Input: Stereo in that menu? A 'no' here would suggest something wrong with the driver (ie. the units connected but the inputs are not showing up)"

Thanks for the reply. I don't see an M-Audio imput available.
Is there any possible way that you could either email me or skype me to walk me through resolving this? I get signal in Garageband... so that's strange. I'd just really like to figure this out so I don't have to buy Logic.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
serr

I'm not familiar with the M-Audio unit specifically - other than being aware of the extremely poor reviews it gets in every category from sound quality to stability of operation. So... I'm not stunned that there is a problem.

But my point there is I don't know any tricks or workarounds needed specific to that unit.

1. So there is nothing listed in the input selection menu (record arm button contextual menu) under Input: Mono or Input: Stereo? You right-click the red record arm button, hover the mouse over 'Input: Mono >' and you don't see the inputs listed to the right of that arrow? (One more time - give me a yes or no here.)

2. Sanity check time. Can I assume that when you select your Built-in Input or Built-in Microphone in Reaper (Preferences/Audio/Device) that you see these 2 inputs available on the track input selection menu?

3. Does the M-Audio unit have it's own control panel or do you just use AudioMIDI Setup to run it? If yes, are there controls to enable or disable certain inputs?

4. Otherwise, open AudioMIDI Setup again and select the M-Audio in the left column.
Do you see the M-Audio's inputs or outputs in AudioMIDI Setup?

A 'no' would mean either the installed driver is not up to date for your version of OSX or if not that, then the hardware is actually failing. No other possibility here really. If signs are pointing to hardware, try swapping the firewire cable first.

This about all I can tell you without having the actual unit in front of me. You say you can assign it's inputs to tracks in Garageband but the list of inputs is blank in Reaper. I'm still looking for operator error or some driver mismatch first before suspecting something wrong with Reaper. Garageband has some screwy defaults and restrictions but 2 wrongs making a right would still surprise me a little. Reaper is a pro app. Garageband is a very restricted demo aimed at getting you to buy Logic Audio Hell. (Opinions you know!)

Last edited by serr; 08-20-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
ned

From page five of the fast track manual: http://www.m-audio.ca/images/global/...ck_UG_EN01.pdf

Quote:
When recording with standard DAW applications, the Fast Track USB microphone input is displayed as INPUT 1 and the Guitar/Line input
is displayed as INPUT 2.
Section 1.12.2 of the reaper user guide goes through setting up audio in OS X:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/usergui...rGuide440C.pdf

Maybe some small detail in the manuals that you missed, really hard for others to say who don't have that particular unit.

One thing to try, I know a lot of firewire interfaces need to be connected and powered up before you boot your computer for the drivers to initialize properly. Don't know if USB is the same but it's something to try.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote