Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
Sogradde
Human being with feelings

Default A way to randomize samples?

So, for my drum tracks I use MIDI tracks and the built in sampler für each part of the drums (IE: Kick, Snare, Cymbals, etc.) however, in order to make it sound more natural, I'd like to have a way to randomly cycle between the available samples, for example "Snare 1", "Snare 2", "Snare 3" and so on. Is there a way to do this with Reaper's built in functions? Right now I'm manually adjusting them, which is quite tedious.
Sogradde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
nofish

Hi and welcome to Reaper forum

With Reaper's built in functions I don't know, but here's a free random sample player called "manic"

http://delamanchavst.wordpress.com/instruments/

(scroll down until the "random sample player" entry)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogradde View Post
So, for my drum tracks I use MIDI tracks and the built in sampler für each part of the drums (IE: Kick, Snare, Cymbals, etc.) however, in order to make it sound more natural, I'd like to have a way to randomly cycle between the available samples, for example "Snare 1", "Snare 2", "Snare 3" and so on. Is there a way to do this with Reaper's built in functions? Right now I'm manually adjusting them, which is quite tedious.
Hi Sogradde, you can also set up your kit parts in Round Robins (RRs). The way it sounds you have separate single samples probably recorded at the same level, is this right?

If so, for RRs you need to set up each instance of RS5K differently. Here's a link to the different settings for different numbers of RRs.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=216

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post

With Reaper's built in functions I don't know, but here's a free random sample player called "manic"

Hi nofish, does that sampler load everything into RAM? That's the biggest problem with RS5K right now.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Sogradde

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post

Hey, thanks. I've tried it out and I can't seem to connect it to my MIDI track. I want it to play a random sample from my pre-selected pool of samples whenever there's a MIDI note but so far it just randomly plays samples to the click. Am I missing some option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
[...]
I've been thinking about that probability thing before aswell, however, how do I prevent 2 or more samples from playing at the same time? ALso, how do I set it up if my Snare for example consists of a mix of two samples? Set up an additional track for every mixed-in sample?

Thanx alot for the help so far, really appreciate it!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogradde View Post
I've been thinking about that probability thing before aswell, however, how do I prevent 2 or more samples from playing at the same time?
If you've got the percentages set up right, RS5K will indeed go through a Round Robin sequence without repeating any of the same samples until the RR is finished. However, it's not in perfect sequence. In other words, if you have 8 RRs, it don't go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. It may go 5, 7, 4, 1, 2, 3, 8, 6. I tested this all out with voice samples counting 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. all the way to 64. I used these sample for testing various aspects of RS5K. Of course I only used 1 through 8 for this test.

Quote:
ALso, how do I set it up if my Snare for example consists of a mix of two samples? Set up an additional track for every mixed-in sample?
I'm not sure exactly what your talking about here. Are you sort of talking about different mic positions of the same drum hit? Can you explain a little better?

I just finished a rather large project programming multi miced samples with RS5K and yes, you have to have a different track for each mic position. However, if you set up the different tracks with the same RR settings, the RRs works out fine.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #6
Sogradde

Quote:
If you've got the percentages set up right, RS5K will indeed go through a Round Robin sequence without repeating any of the same samples until the RR is finished. However, it's not in perfect sequence. In other words, if you have 8 RRs, it don't go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. It may go 5, 7, 4, 1, 2, 3, 8, 6. I tested this all out with voice samples counting 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. all the way to 64. I used these sample for testing various aspects of RS5K. Of course I only used 1 through 8 for this test.
Whelp, it seems to work. That was much easier than expected.

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what your talking about here. Are you sort of talking about different mic positions of the same drum hit? Can you explain a little better?

I just finished a rather large project programming multi miced samples with RS5K and yes, you have to have a different track for each mic position. However, if you set up the different tracks with the same RR settings, the RRs works out fine.
Yes, that's basically what I meant. Thanks a bunch, it works like a charm!