Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Burdy323
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with Realtek Drivers and ASIO4all

Hey guys

I have never gotten my sound card output and asio to work for any program, so I just bought an interface to solve my problems. Now I am more mobile so I bought an IRig HD to record while I am away from my Interface. However, the problem is still their with Realtek HD and my ASIO.

Essentially, every other option (waveout, direct, etc.) works just fine, but ASIO does not. I have my output checked on, everything set up, but no output. Even the offline settings say my device is pushing - but still no sound within reaper. I have found no solution anywhere on the net and am truly stumpt. Suggestions?
Burdy323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
trakked

Default same issue

Having the same issue. The asio Driver seems to play only a midi track that i added to the "all through the Night" project as a test. In other words when i use Any other driver i can hear all the tracks and with Asio 4 all i can use only the midi track. I am quite new to reaper so i am posting a screenshot of my preference->audio->devices.

I am running on windows 7 i have a cheap on board soundcard.

I added another image i noticed somethings that did change on the tracks when changing the drivers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg audiodevice.jpg (63.2 KB, 950 views)
File Type: jpg waveout vs asio.jpg (51.1 KB, 804 views)

Last edited by trakked; 03-10-2014 at 06:34 PM.
trakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
zzz

I use my REaltek and ASIO4All and sometimes I get no audio out playback. I usually need to reset the buffer size in ASIO4ALL. You need to click on the device you have set in the Reaper prefs and then adjust the ASIO4ALL buffer aize fir trhat device. I switch between Realtek speakers, my USB I/O headphones and HDMI TV display. Surprisingly, I sometimes lower the buffer size and it starts working. Sometimes I also do nothing but open the prefs and the ASIO4All, close the prefs and it starts working.

HTH
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

The most common reason for REAPER not seeing the outputs is that they're in use by another application using audio (including web browsers and the MSGS Wavetable Synth). But functionality with ASIO4ALL is also depending on the exact audio chip used in your computer, ASIO4ALL settings etc., some chips don't work with ASIO4ALL and the driver version (of your onboard chip) often plays a role too, it often needs some tinkering.

Here's a Google Custom Search page with threads about this:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0024585...put&gsc.page=1

If all fails and you're using Vista and higher, you can also try WASAPI instead.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
zzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
The most common reason for REAPER not seeing the outputs is that they're in use by another application using audio (including web browsers and the MSGS Wavetable Synth).
True, I forgot about that. I do have a problem with Firefox and it steals the audio output from Reaper. :-( I have been meaning to ask if there is some workaround where it can share or switch the audio output (asio4all) with the foremost app having priority? If I switch to Firefox, then the audio out goes there. I go back to Reaper and it gets the audio output back from Firefox?? I currently have to close Firefox (PITA) for Reaper to have the audio back.
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
trakked

ok so i guess its the sound card then In my case anyway. Wasapi sounds like something really evil so no luck there. besides ive tried closing all the other app and still nothing.

The think that still bugs me is that the midi track WILL play on Asio but not the others (mp3 files in this case). would there be any kind of reaon for that to be the case?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
hopi

wasapi is very good... it is just an audio driver like ASIO but only included in Win7 or better.

All these problems go away IF you add a real audio interface.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
msea

I'm using Realtek and asio4all. I set my buffer to 64 but that was for latency. I have the request sample box unchecked (I'm mobile now so can't be precise). No real probs but find that VLC media player and youtube can mute reaper. I think there are threads concerning workarounds. I just close down programs and the web when doing music. But maybe search the forum for techie details...
msea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
trakked

As Hopi said i got myself a tascam us-144mkII (its one of the cheap/basic ones) for about 120$. It all works fine now.

Thanks to all!