Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Seventh
Human being with feelings

Default 2D Theme: ReaLax

The theme contains some elements and colors from the default theme (modified transport bg, envelope colors, item buttons..), and from the RADO Vox theme by Vstyler (MIDI editor note bg colors are perfect, trying to change them just made it worse ). Also the MCP folder indent hack was originally devised by WT.

Screenshots and suggested layouts:

Download here

Notes:

Please enable the action "Mixer: Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children" to get the mixer folder indicators to work. You can find it in the actions list. It's supposed to look like this:

Recommended metering preferences (this way the meter color ranges match: inf to -24 green, -23 to -6 yellow, over -6 red). Also the lower setting is optional to set the fader zero point higher (if you don't need the additional range). Looks better imo.

Here's an optional MIDI note color map to use with this theme. I downloaded it a long time ago from the stash so I'm not sure who made it, but it works well with the 2D look and the color scheme of the MIDI editor.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14081178/Re...e_colormap.png

Please make sure that you're running the latest version of Reaper. Versions older than 4.23 don't support knob stacks which is required for the pan/width knobs.

Mac users might have to change some of the fonts, since the ones I used aren't probably compatible with OSX.

This is a beta version so please report here if you find any bugs or incosistencies, which you probably will.

Known bugs:
  • Toolbar icons are defaulted to classic ones instead of the v4 ones. I'm working on a fix for this, but in the meantime you could change them manually if you wish.

• Some people report missing pan knobs (Might be due to using an older version of Reaper). Also the dual pan knob is skewed.

Updates:

24.9. Cleaned up some PNGs and changed a few colors

24.9. 2: fixed some PNGs, added input fx and envelope state indicators to MCP, and made the track selection indication in TCP more prominent

24.9. 3: Font reafinements and other fine-tuning

25.9. Improved transport compatibility for smaller resolutions, uploaded a MIDI note color map

28.9. Added layouts: Transport with separate repeat button, mcp separator. Made toolbar button depressed state lighter.

1.10. Added layout: extended tcp with volume knob and fx. Added input fx when recarmed to tcp layouts with fx. Fixed some PNGs and alignments.

24.10. Added layout without the mcp folder indents. Also some minor fixes.

14.2. Several changes and improvements.

Last edited by Seventh; 02-13-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
robo

Nice! I really dig the flat abletonishness
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
tls11823

My first impression was that there wasn't enough stuff there. But then I realized that everything was there - it just didn't look cluttered enough for it to be there.

I look forward to logging some time with this. Unless I find something that just doesn't work for me, this may play heavily in my rotation.

Nice job, and thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
My first impression was that there wasn't enough stuff there. But then I realized that everything was there - it just didn't look cluttered enough for it to be there.
Thanks! Precisely what I was going for
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
djspiritcr

nice just a little bit too dark but really good looking ! thnx and don't stop too work on it pls
good job!
djspiritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Reno.thestraws

Love it!

Can i just suggest to add fx in button on mcp and tcp?

Perhaps at the same place that fx but appears onmy when rec armed?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
airon

A fine theme. Very clear and simple. I'm having a good time inding everything.

I'm using the TCP with the fx button, though there's no FX bypass there, so I'll have to use the mixer for that(click on the edges around the FX button for the bypass).

One possible bug I found. Toolbar buttons with text, double-width in particular don't draw well, so a better font selection for those might be in order for your next revision. Which font would I need to change to correct this ?

Below the default theme version of those toolbars(cropped).

Personal priority I always have an eye on for every theme is the automation status. This I cannot find, except in the faders. Not good enough for indicating status at all, so that's one negative for automation work.

Track selection is indicated but one really has to look to find out what tracks are selected. There have been some more successful efforts which you might want to check out for their methods. The MCP is alright for me. Those grey squares around the numbers I can probably use effectively. ReaBorn2 did a much more effective job in this department.

It is however the most clutter-free theme I've used so far. Very easy to get around in, apart from those few small complaints. Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited by airon; 09-23-2012 at 08:00 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Seventh

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Can i just suggest to add fx in button on mcp and tcp?
Perhaps at the same place that fx but appears onmy when rec armed?
I'll add this in the next revision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
One possible bug I found. Toolbar buttons with text, double-width in particular don't draw well, so a better font selection for those might be in order for your next revision. Which font would I need to change to correct this ?
Forgot to add the pink lines will be fixed.

Quote:
Personal priority I always have an eye on for every theme is the automation status. This I cannot find, except in the faders. Not good enough for indicating status at all, so that's one negative for automation work.
I couldn't find room in the MCP for the envelope button, and usually I work with the envelopes in the tcp/arrange, so I kind of neglected that. I'll try to create a layout for that.

Quote:
Track selection is indicated but one really has to look to find out what tracks are selected.
Yeah, it's probably too subtle. I'll improve it in the next update.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
Seventh

Updated the previously mentioned things. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: png mcpenvmodes.png (9.8 KB, 8046 views)
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
hopi

kind of liking it... takes some getting used to for sure

question: how do I turn on loop on the transport... ?
I see the green arrows intidacting it is on but not clear for me how to turn it on and off?

thought:
faders on mcp... ok I'm good with the idea of no fader handle as such... I like that fine... but then why is there the gray bar at the top of the fader [still a handle of sorts, eh?] why not just nothing at all there... so only the division between the upper and lower sreas of the fader indicate it's setting?

I like the 1px white to indicate what is selected... I do that myself [more blatantly] as I find it really helps to see what's what.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Seventh

Another minor update, font fine-tuning and also toned down the tcp selection indicator a bit.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
question: how do I turn on loop on the transport... ?
I see the green arrows intidacting it is on but not clear for me how to turn it on and off?
Well, actually, you can't.

I guess I was assuming that everyone uses a hotkey for that (r). I was going to make a layout for it though, but totally forgot to do that.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
Clapz

Hi ,
I downloaded your theme but my first problem is that it does not show the toolbar icons as it does in your pictures.
Further the transport controls overlap each other.I use a 15" and a 10" .
And one final thing: I hope the pianoroll will get more suitable colors,
but that is personal I think. I do like your theme much, but some things need to be improved : )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture.jpg (35.6 KB, 400 views)
Clapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Well, actually, you can't.

I guess I was assuming that everyone uses a hotkey for that (r). I was going to make a layout for it though, but totally forgot to do that.
ah... hot key...
I for one don't use one... there are so many hot keys to remember, that I have made tons of special icons and toolbars... for me it's much better to go to an icon [and tool tip] and clk it than to deal with a hot key... I mean of course I use them but can only remember just so many you know?

so some little thingy on the transport to toggle loop play on and off is what I'd like to see...

thanks for your good work!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
sightlessness

Great theme man. I really like, and it's got nothing to do with an Imp theme or something like that. It's totally different, yet it inspires to
work with. Thank "god" of variety and different taste.
Very well landed idea dude.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #16
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapz View Post
Hi ,
I downloaded your theme but my first problem is that it does not show the toolbar icons as it does in your pictures.
Further the transport controls overlap each other.I use a 15" and a 10" .
And one final thing: I hope the pianoroll will get more suitable colors,
but that is personal I think. I do like your theme much, but some things need to be improved : )
Hi there. You might want to check "preferences -> theme editor -> current theme" does it have the "Theme uses image resources" set to "ReaLax"?

About the transport, I just uploaded a new version which should work with smaller resolutions.

The MIDI editor is a tough one. I tried several different color schemes but it just didn't work as well as the Vstyler's blue hue. If I find something that works I'll change it, but until then you'll have to customize it yourself if you don't like it.

EDIT: I also uploaded a midi note color map file. check the first post.

Last edited by Seventh; 09-25-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Clapz

Thanks for the update,but your toolbar does still not show up on my computer pentium 4 windows 7 .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realaxxxx.jpg (63.5 KB, 369 views)
Clapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapz View Post
Thanks for the update,but your toolbar does still not show up on my computer pentium 4 windows 7 .
Hmm, yes. I made a portable install with the theme, and the same thing happened. Looks like it won't use the default toolbar icons. I'll try to find where they are located and add them to the theme zip file.

It _should_ use the translucent icons in REAPER\data\toolbar_icons\ automatically, but it doesn't for some reason.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
krahosk

Wow, I like the simplicity - it's elegant because of that. All I'm missing on my part is a volume control in the TCP. At first I thought that the record arm was one.
Also, I really really like the grey tones of the main screen, I would have like to get the same color scheme in the ME instead of RADO VOX colors (same grey scales, instead of some blue

Last edited by krahosk; 09-25-2012 at 02:04 PM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
hopi

Seventh... think you need to change the link in your first post... what you have there is just for you as it is the "manage" the upload link... we, normal users, need just the basic link to the theme on the stash... so if you log out of the stash, you should get that, ...

EDIT this is the link for the rest of us

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1067/ReaLax.ReaperThemeZip

Last edited by hopi; 09-25-2012 at 02:45 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Seventh

Doh! Thanks.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Updated the previously mentioned things. What do you think?
That looks pretty good. The yellow for touch makes the track numbers a little harder to read, but that's about it. An elegant solution. That fixes the problem for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by airon; 09-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
hopi

some suggestins:

you know how you have the lighter 1 px border in the tcp when a track is selected? might be desireable to also have that in the mcp.

also, since this is conceived to use a track inspector mcp, it would be nice to have an mcp layout for the separator that was blank and equal width of the other mcp layouts... you see? so that the inspector shows that blank if you happen to clk on a separtor in the tcp... right?

I'm still kinda liking it... have done a few minor mods to get meters into colors I can stand [but that is just me]

I do like the overall concept of clean and minimal!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
krahosk

I've been using your theme for the past few days, for the same reason others appreciate it: uncluttered, clean, elegant, ease to the eyes. And what a good idea to curve the edges of the toolbar buttons!
Finally, a theme that doesn't emulate a console -- Really appreciated, Seventh!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #25
nyaben

I really like this theme but I must not have it installed correctly somehow. I am missing items at the top left (file open, new project, etc.).
nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #26
Seventh

28.9. Added layouts: Transport with separate repeat button, mcp separator. Made toolbar button depressed state lighter.

Later I'll also add a volume knob layout to the TCP as requested.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #27
pyerbass

I really like this theme
on my opignion the M S IO FX looks a bit too big, they lloks traped into the dark square, too close to the edge especially for fx, maybe it would be more breathy if you make thos letters a bit smaller,

beside that it's a very inovative theme!
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #28
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
I really like this theme
on my opignion the M S IO FX looks a bit too big, they lloks traped into the dark square, too close to the edge especially for fx, maybe it would be more breathy if you make thos letters a bit smaller,

beside that it's a very inovative theme!
The buttons you mentions do look big if you compare with other themes but I see it as part of its unique style and an integral part of its appeal.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #29
Vasilios

An excellent theme. please keep up on it!
Vasilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
nyaben

I love the theme but for some reason the top left portion of the screen isn't right. See image link below.

Thanks for any help in correcting!

Last edited by nyaben; 09-29-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
mako55a

Hi Seventh, just have tried your theme and have to say you've found fantastic solution for rec monitoring and width (2-in-1), very good .
THanks.

Last edited by mako55a; 09-28-2012 at 04:43 PM.
mako55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #32
Kundalinguist

Nice work, Seventh. No shortage of creative ideas here in Reaperville.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
nyaben

Anyone else missing some of the theme elements?

Last edited by nyaben; 09-29-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #34
EpicSounds

nice. the Anti-Imperial.

Down with skeuomorphism.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #35
Lastrite

I really love where this is going. Great job.

I don't know if this was asked before, but would you consider making a horizontal version of your MCP-fader for the TCP? So not a knob but an identical horizontal fader with the same height of the other MCP-elements. And perhaps a Pan/Width element for the TCP? I like to work without the mixer.

I was and still am in love with the simplicity of Tracktion's UI. This theme has the potential to bring me back to those days but with REAPER's stability/usability
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #36
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrite View Post
I really love where this is going. Great job.

I don't know if this was asked before, but would you consider making a horizontal version of your MCP-fader for the TCP? So not a knob but an identical horizontal fader with the same height of the other MCP-elements. And perhaps a Pan/Width element for the TCP? I like to work without the mixer.

I was and still am in love with the simplicity of Tracktion's UI. This theme has the potential to bring me back to those days but with REAPER's stability/usability
Just dock you mixer and then drag it on the left dock... resize docker to see juste ONE track of the mixer

go in the mixer menu and check the option: scroll view when track activated
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #37
henric

Liking it!

I'm missing the pan knobs here, just seeing a black circle.
henric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #38
Lastrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Just dock you mixer and then drag it on the left dock... resize docker to see juste ONE track of the mixer

go in the mixer menu and check the option: scroll view when track activated

Thanks, but that's not what I'm after I already use the MCP as a track inspector like you're suggesting. What I'm after is a horizontally oriented fader- and pan/width-element for every TCP-panel.
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #39
nyaben

Did you intend for tracks within track folders to show like this?

Last edited by nyaben; 09-29-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #40
pyerbass

well, after play on this a bit I have to say: this theme is awesome, you are a real walter wizard! it still need some fuctional fix like the eveloppe steing in the mixer view and the phase in the track view, maybe a few graphic change to have something really sober and well balanced (for instance the in mixer, the io and fx buttons are not in the center, it's bvious when fx are bypassed, there is a larger orange zone on the side), well a few small details that will turn this theme in a perfect thing!
Really really awesome job!!!
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote