Old 04-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
DanTheMan
Human being with feelings

Default video and Reaper

I normally do 3 takes of different instruments and would like to record video of all 3 takes, sync'ing them all in Reaper with audio. What is the best hardware/ software solution for this that wont cost a fortune?
Old 04-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
vitalker

Here you go.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=248527
Use OBS studio to record videos "directly" into Reaper. What kind of hardware are you asking about?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
DanTheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Here you go.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=248527
Use OBS studio to record videos "directly" into Reaper. What kind of hardware are you asking about?
Hardware? I figured there would need to be some kind of video switch gear and something that would bus 3 cameras.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:40 AM   #4
zeekat

Just filming every take and manually syncing video clips to your Reaper mixdown should take next to no time in any multi-track video editor (probably in Reaper too). Unless I'm missing something.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:26 AM   #5
bjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
Hardware? I figured there would need to be some kind of video switch gear and something that would bus 3 cameras.
ATEM Mini from Blackmagic Design should be able to handle this; it's probably the cheapest good option. But you don't need it unless you're doing this live (i.e., streaming). Recording video on three separate cameras and syncing in post, doing multicam editing, is something every NLE can do (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve, etc.); Reaper might even be able to do multicam but i've never looked into Reaper's video abilities as I use an NLE for my video work.

Syncing by waveform works well in most cases; I've never needed to use a timecode generator.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

You want 3 different cameras at once? OBS can do that, though it only records 1 video file at a time, so unless you’re going to do live switching (OBS can do that too, but aren’t you playing an instrument while this is happening), you’d maybe set it up so the different cameras are tiled on the screen somehow and then crop into them in the editing phase. This of course requires cameras that work as either USB or IP webcams.

The way I’ve done it though is just to record each video to its own device (iPhone, dedicated video camera, Kindle Fire, GoPro...) and sync them together manually. This is kind of annoying even when all of the clocks agree on how long a second is and kind of ugly when they don’t and they almost always don’t, but it works and doesn’t force your computer to try to ingest a bunch of video AND audio at the same time. When I’m recording in Reaper, I want my computer doing nothing but Reaper.

But you definitely can do all the editing in Reaper. I did a “live” video a while back with three cameras shooting each of four band members (who were all me of course) in front of a green screen and did all of the editing and compositing in Reaper. It takes a bit of getting used to, but now that I’ve got my head around it a bit better, it works better for me than any other video editor I’ve used. Reaper was originally modeled after Sony Vegas after all.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
DanTheMan

my specific need is to make 3 videos for piano drums and bass tracks of the same session, no live streaming. Its mostly to add another dimension to practice and reviewing but also to post a completed video online as the music warrants.