Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #41
serr
Human being with feelings

Sure.
For the above, I'd do the clean install and then just manually copy my data back from the newer system. It only takes 20 minutes or so.

You could try the migration assistant but if it doesn't work you'll be starting over with the install.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #42
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
It only takes 20 minutes or so.
Are you sure? What about all app configs? I guess only copying back the homedir and apps is not sufficient, right?

So I would try the migration assistant first.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #43
misterbunko

Default New Mac user learns lesson

Yeah, I didnt do time machine, DID upgrade to El Capitan. Now my Tascam 144 MkII isn't working anymore. Hoping for a workaround but I'm not holding my breath.
misterbunko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #44
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Are you sure? What about all app configs? I guess only copying back the homedir and apps is not sufficient, right?

So I would try the migration assistant first.
Sorry, I was thinking more of the basic user install and not the extended audio app install with that comment.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #45
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbunko View Post
Yeah, I didnt do time machine, DID upgrade to El Capitan. Now my Tascam 144 MkII isn't working anymore. Hoping for a workaround but I'm not holding my breath.
Quote from Tascam:

Quote:
Compatibility with Mac OS X “El Capitan”
02.10.15 - We would like to inform our customers that compatibility with Mac OS X “El Capitan” has not yet been confirmed for Tascam products. Some of our products may not operate properly under this new operating system. Further information will follow as soon as each verification with the official release of Mac OS X “El Capitan” is completed.
Please check this website regularly to find out which products are compatible with Mac OS X “El Capitan” or which products have updates available.
Latest available driver for the US-144 MKII seems to be from december 2014. That's v3.0 for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Is that the one you have installed?

If so, you'll have to hope Tascam will make a newer driver.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #46
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
That's v3.0 for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Is that the one you have installed?

If so, you'll have to hope Tascam will make a newer driver.
That's at least the one, that runs perfectly fine with my US-122 MkII on 10.10.5 ... as far as I remember, it's the same driver for both interfaces.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #47
goldec

I was wondering if there are any news concerning the UI drawing bug in reaper running under el capitan?

It happens when moving mouse over the TCP window during play and record. Doing so, the framerate will drop drastically but there are no audio glitches.
I made a gif to demonstrate aswell. Didn't turn out too good but you should get the point.

https://i.imgur.com/kqdhoGQ.gifv

Has been an issue for all iterations of both reaper 5.x and OSX 10.11.x.

Using a macbook pro retina but it happens with external monitors aswell so it is not a matter of the increased resolution. In any case, everything is still working fine under yosemite no matter the resolution.
goldec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #48
klong

I reverted back to Yosemite after frequent hard O.S. crashes running Reaper 5.04 in El Capitan. Don't recommended ugprading yet for Reaper users !
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #49
patbond

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
I reverted back to Yosemite after frequent hard O.S. crashes running Reaper 5.04 in El Capitan. Don't recommended ugprading yet for Reaper users !
yea i'm about to revert too

i get kernel panics every time i use any of my waves plugins, which was really unfortunate to find out after i had already recorded an hour and a half's worth of demos

the stock reaper plugs work fine tho
patbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 AM   #50
sonnie

Damn slow Avid and Steinberg added OSX 10.11 support recently resp. a few weeks ago. Cockos. WTF?!
sonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #51
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Damn slow Avid and Steinberg added OSX 10.11 support recently resp. a few weeks ago. Cockos. WTF?!
Steinberg's bigger interfaces still aren't compatible with El Capital. They're working on it.

Reaper is compatible with El Capital, except for some graphical glitches and maybe some slowness here and there. Some 3rd party plugins aren't yet.

And I won't get into the state of drivers of Avid and ex-Avid (M-audio) hardware. It seems most users of older M-audio gear will simply need to buy new gear as nobody is updating anything.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #52
EpicSounds

Quote:

And I won't get into the state of drivers of Avid and ex-Avid (M-audio) hardware. It seems most users of older M-audio gear will simply need to buy new gear as nobody is updating anything.
yeah that's where I'm at. Anything that I consider an uprgrade from my current system will have lots of overlap with my monitor controller, no lightpipe ports or other complications. Plus I don't really want to spend $1k+ for an interface.

Sometimes doing nothing is the best choice. Not updating to 10.11 can save a lot of stress.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:56 AM   #53
sonnie

Quote:
Steinberg's bigger interfaces still aren't compatible with El Capital. They're working on it.
Since Cockos doesn't develop interfaces I didn't mind it while arguing with Avid and Steinberg. It was all about the Software.
sonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #54
vocalnick

Just upgraded to El Capitan on a 2012 MBP Retina 15"

I can report some playhead framerate sluggishness compared to Yosemite, but other than that it all seems OK.

I pretty much exclusively use VST plugins thought, so a lot of the AU and AUi stuff thankfully passed me by
Old 11-20-2015, 04:00 AM   #55
RSG

Just upgraded to El Capitan and currently my collection of (mainly) unsupported usb and firewire gear is still working (although it did take a while for the Oxygen8 to stop working when I upgraded to Yosemite, so I am keeping my fingers crossed).
Old 11-22-2015, 02:35 AM   #56
tootoobee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalnick View Post
I pretty much exclusively use VST plugins thought, so a lot of the AU and AUi stuff thankfully passed me by
That's interesting, I had problems with the AU stuff also in previous versions, Reaper did not find all of them. I never had this problem with VSTs.
tootoobee is offline   Reply With Quote