Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #81
amoretam
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Is there a file in ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper/MouseMaps?
it is empty... because I never saved it...I thought that mouse modifiers were part of actions saving
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #82
ned

Apparently not... and you're right, it is unintuitive that they do not get automatically saved with the export configurations tool.

I did a test myself and it looks like you have to export them from the mouse modifiers window to that MouseMaps folder before they show up in the export configurations list... which is really backwards.

Do you remember what your modifiers were? Cause I think that manually recreating them might be your only recourse at this point.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #83
amoretam

Quote:
Apparently not... and you're right, it is unintuitive that they do not get automatically saved with the export configurations tool.

I did a test myself and it looks like you have to export them from the mouse modifiers window to that MouseMaps folder before they show up in the export configurations list... which is really backwards.

Do you remember what your modifiers were? Cause I think that manually recreating them might be your only recourse at this point.
wow....

ok one last question before I totally give up: how can I restore my previous PREFERENCES configurations without corrupting the .ini of 4.402?... you know what I mean??

Even tough 4.402 crashed, I can see a slightly better performance, so I am staying with it... or maybe install 4.502 and erase the .ini...

But i need my preferences and settings as before... that is what I dont understand, ..
Thanks

Last edited by amoretam; 09-23-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #84
ned

You misunderstood. The whole point of doing a clean install was to see if the .ini file or any other configuration was the cause of the crashing. Now that you've eliminated that as a possibility (because 4.402 has crashed as a clean install) you can re-import your configurations without worrying that it will 'corrupt' the configurations in the 4.402 install.

To re-import your configurations you need to go into the action list and search for the import configurations action. It is not in the file menu by default (for some crazy reason). That command will automatically go to the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper/Configurations. If you backed-up the reaper support folder from the 4.5 version then you will need to navigate to that configurations folder to retrieve your old settings.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #85
amoretam

Quote:
You misunderstood. The whole point of doing a clean install was to see if the .ini file or any other configuration was the cause of the crashing. Now that you've eliminated that as a possibility (because 4.402 has crashed as a clean install) you can re-import your configurations without worrying that it will 'corrupt' the configurations in the 4.402 install.

To re-import your configurations you need to go into the action list and search for the import configurations action. It is not in the file menu by default (for some crazy reason). That command will automatically go to the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper/Configurations. If you backed-up the reaper support folder from the 4.5 version then you will need to navigate to that configurations folder to retrieve your old settings.
yeah this I know... I already imported my keymaps and such... what I need is my Preferences settings back..., but without reverting back to the old high cpu usage...
As i said, 4.402 is performing slightly better cpuwise... so I am staying with it... I need my preferences settings (I dont want to have to do it manually cause dont remember ) that is all...

Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #86
ned

Did you import your configurations with this action?

If you want to be safe, before you do this make a backup of the current 4.402 configurations just in case you need to revert back to those (just as a precaution).
Attached Images
File Type: png action_import_config.png (42.9 KB, 439 views)
Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #87
amoretam

Quote:
Did you import your configurations with this action?

If you want to be safe, before you do this make a backup of the current 4.402 configurations just in case you need to revert back to those (just as a precaution).
no, I import configurations with preferences/general/import configuration..... should be the same??

again, how can I import my preferences?? what is the difference between preferences and configurations.... I need my preferences back.... this is so confusing

thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #88
ned

yep, importing form the preference window would also work.

The difference between the config file and preferences is the config file is a backup of all your settings that you saved to the resource folder. Basically a zipped archive of that whole folder. Preferences would just be a file that has all the global preference settings, but this would be included in the config file backup.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #89
amoretam

Quote:
yep, importing form the preference window would also work.

The difference between the config file and preferences is the config file is a backup of all your settings that you saved to the resource folder. Basically a zipped archive of that whole folder. Preferences would just be a file that has all the global preference settings, but this would be included in the config file backup.
....meaning that if I import my configurations, I will have my previous 4.502 Global Preferences back right? ...but that will also import my previous 4.502 .ini to my actual 4.402 Reaper installation??? Right?
Isn't that calling for trouble? because it would bring back the cpu issue again??
Because I understand that you are telling me that config file is more than the preferences settings file.... right??

Sorry , I am just trying to understand all of this nonsense! jeje

Thanks for you time
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #90
ned

I honestly don't know man. It might. It might not. That's why I said to make a config backup from the 4.402 settings to revert back to if applying your old settings has an adverse effect on performance.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #91
serr

Do you have 2 different graphics cards in that machine? And if yes, does the lower power one use CPU time to support it?

I'm not sure if you can even duplicate that setup with a 'hackintosh' (the newer Macs have dual GPU's). But if you can and did, I've seen a couple other threads that seemed to indicate this as a possible issue. The workaround would be to ONLY use the higher power GPU.

I wouldn't see this on my 'ancient' 2009 Macs.

I'm having the reverse of your experience FWIW. I still have some Protools sessions to finish so I'm putting up with trying to finish them through constant crashing. They really did kill Protools! This must be what it's like to run a DAW in Windows!

Reaper on the other hand just works.

re: backups and troubleshooting
Do you use Carbon Copy Cloner (or some other volume cloning app)?
If you make a backup clone of your system, you can experiment with fixes and workarounds worry free. If something goes wrong or gets deleted, restoring from the backup clone takes 3 minutes.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #92
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Do you have 2 different graphics cards in that machine? And if yes, does the lower power one use CPU time to support it?

I'm not sure if you can even duplicate that setup with a 'hackintosh' (the newer Macs have dual GPU's). But if you can and did, I've seen a couple other threads that seemed to indicate this as a possible issue. The workaround would be to ONLY use the higher power GPU.

I wouldn't see this on my 'ancient' 2009 Macs.

I'm having the reverse of your experience FWIW. I still have some Protools sessions to finish so I'm putting up with trying to finish them through constant crashing. They really did kill Protools! This must be what it's like to run a DAW in Windows!

Reaper on the other hand just works.

re: backups and troubleshooting
Do you use Carbon Copy Cloner (or some other volume cloning app)?
If you make a backup clone of your system, you can experiment with fixes and workarounds worry free. If something goes wrong or gets deleted, restoring from the backup clone takes 3 minutes.
no man, I use sandy Bridge cpu i5.... cpu graphics

thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #93
ned

Amoretam, were you able to get your preferences sorted out?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #94
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
no man, I use sandy Bridge cpu i5.... cpu graphics

thanks
I don't understand your answer. I was talking about the graphics processor (GPU) setup. Not the CPU.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #95
amoretam

Quote:
I don't understand your answer. I was talking about the graphics processor (GPU) setup. Not the CPU.
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz is a Cpu with integrated graphics...that is what I use,, I dont use any external GPU...

thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #96
amoretam

so nobody here knows how to read crash logs and stuff, How come I never received any reply with the crash log I posted before....
How come is this happening to me...Reaper crashes for nothing.... It is the only problem in my world and my computer,... Why, .... after two years learning this program and loving in it.... I cannot work without it!!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #97
ned

Did you try googling any of the error codes from the report? It probably won't give you any specific solution to your particular problem but it may give you an idea of what's happening.

Try looking this up and see what google spits out...
Code:
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000004478a020
Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #98
serr

Quote:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz is a Cpu with integrated graphics...that is what I use,, I dont use any external GPU...

thanks
OK. Maybe that's the problem. Like I said, I've seen a few threads mentioning CPU spikes and the performance issues you mention that appeared to be caused by using the integrated graphics (the lower power/lower res option on the mac). The fix was using the high res GPU at all times.

This doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with your system either. Maybe Reaper has an issue with integrated graphics or some related bug (if that's not too strong a term)?

I have a session up with 60 tracks and 84 fx at the moment. 24 bit 96k. A few heavy-ish plugins in the mix. When playing, Reaper performance meter says 2.7% total CPU use. Activity Monitor says 4.5% total user CPU use.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #99
amoretam

Quote:
OK. Maybe that's the problem. Like I said, I've seen a few threads mentioning CPU spikes and the performance issues you mention that appeared to be caused by using the integrated graphics (the lower power/lower res option on the mac). The fix was using the high res GPU at all times.

This doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with your system either. Maybe Reaper has an issue with integrated graphics or some related bug (if that's not too strong a term)?

I have a session up with 60 tracks and 84 fx at the moment. 24 bit 96k. A few heavy-ish plugins in the mix. When playing, Reaper performance meter says 2.7% total CPU use. Activity Monitor says 4.5% total user CPU use.
that is crazy, I envy you....
high resolution GPU, ....you talking about an external card??

I tough that sandy bridge was high resolution...
How Am i going to test this... ?? buying a card? no way.

this is sandy bridge:

""New built-in Intel HD Graphics delivers discrete 3D graphics performance without the needed cost and power of a discrete graphics card, and features Intel Clear Video Technology than enhances video playback, image quality, and color fidelity for a premium visual experience. What’s more, add another dimension to what you see on your PC with Intel InTRU 3D technology which supports stereoscopic 3D Blu-ray playback in full 1080p resolution over HDMI 1.4. ""

Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #100
serr

Quote:
I tough that sandy bridge was high resolution...
How Am i going to test this... ?? buying a card? no way.
It wouldn't be a question of the resolution. The issue would be the integrated graphics.

To test this you would obviously need a card but I don't think you'd need to purchase something new and expensive for testing purposes.

Maybe integrated graphics is not suitable for DAW work?
Or maybe it should be but Reaper isn't up to speed yet for the newer hardware choices?

All I can tell you is I've read a few comments in other threads to suggest this. My only point in posting my session example is to illustrate that Reaper on an Apple Mac right out of the box works without issue (ie. there is no across the board bug in Reaper).

Maybe someone with a newer Mac can switch between graphics modes and post the results?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #101
amoretam

This is to let people know that I definetely quit using Reaper in OSX,,, I moved to Windows...
Using the same machine....

Unfortunately... I cannot quit Reaper... So I preferred leaving OSX behind, .. hopefully for the better..

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #102
ned

Can't blame you after all the problems you've been having. If I had been in your shoes I probably would've switched a while back. Hope things workout better for you under windows. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #103
serr

Quote:
This is to let people know that I definetely quit using Reaper in OSX,,, I moved to Windows...
Using the same machine....

Unfortunately... I cannot quit Reaper... So I preferred leaving OSX behind, .. hopefully for the better..

Thanks a lot for your help
The idea of a 'hackintosh' seems great until this scenario comes up...

Hope you can get some work done in Windows until you can get this sorted out. Good luck
Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #104
amoretam

Quote:
The idea of a 'hackintosh' seems great until this scenario comes up...

Hope you can get some work done in Windows until you can get this sorted out. Good luck
I dont think I am going to investigate more, I am tired of troubleshooting.... no more headaches ...
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #105
amoretam

Default this cannot be happening

It was all good, but all of a sudden there is lots of clicks and pops and noise and slow playback... the mixing project will not play normally... Now I am stuck again!!!...
There is no overloading in performance meter...
I wish I could just finish this 2 mixes I already started in Reaper, So I could forget about Reaper ForEver and Ever... no more Reaper for me, No MORE!!

now I have to open a thread in the Windows side

Shit!!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #106
ned

Wow, that sucks... guess you can eliminate the operating systems as the cause.

My final guess is going to be bad ram (or clocking/voltage bios setup issue with the ram). Maybe look for a ram testing application to verify the integrity of the chips. Here's a little blog entry by another hackintosh user who discovered os x is pretty picky about ram and ram settings... http://esem.name/gmarinov/audio/blog...note-on-memory

But yeah, if your on windows now there will be others on the forum far more knowledgeable in such matters than I am. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #107
serr

Quote:
It was all good, but all of a sudden there is lots of clicks and pops and noise and slow playback... the mixing project will not play normally... Now I am stuck again!!!...
There is no overloading in performance meter...
I wish I could just finish this 2 mixes I already started in Reaper, So I could forget about Reaper ForEver and Ever... no more Reaper for me, No MORE!!

now I have to open a thread in the Windows side

Shit!!
Saw that coming...
Adding the insanity of Windows to your world is only going to bring more problems I would think. But there was certainly logic in trying!

First, stem your mixes out to Protools and get your mixes finished so you can settle down.

If your Protools system still works flawlessly as always, then continue beating up on this forum. Maybe it's a situation where Reaper doesn't support certain kinds of newer hardware configurations (like possibly the integrated GPU you have) but it really should.