Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #41
Tom Drinkwater
Human being with feelings

yes its a general problem.

I have run reaper on both windows and osx ON THE SAME MACHINE (intel obviously) and it uses miles more cpu on osx just for tracks existing etc.

its also uses way more cpu than logic for a similar setup in osx. yet the cpu use in reaper/windows is about the same as for a simliar setup in logic/osx

reaper is not using osx audio channels in a correct and efficient way, but i have no idea what is involved, however for me , its the only major issue remaining with the osx version of reaper, and that merits it being still in beta.

if this gets fixed I will register reaper immediately, since then i can ditch logic completely!
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #42
Justin
Administrator

Updating the screen in OS X using normal Quartz/CoreGraphics seems to a lot of CPU, this is something I've confirmed with people intimately familiar with OS X.. so our updating of track meters, transport, etc, is probably a lot to blame..

That and gcc seems to suck.. we'll get ICC for OS X soon too, though this will only help Intel macs..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #43
Tom Drinkwater

so if its screen and meter updates causing the cpu use, are other audio apps that use less cpu doing screen updates by a different method and is it practical for reaper to do that too?

BTW I really love the meters in reaper. but not so much that i'm happy for them to use 20% of my cpu power...

Last edited by Tom Drinkwater; 10-17-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #44
Tom Drinkwater

minimising the window makes no difference to the cpu use, if it was screen updates causing the cpu use shouldn't that make a difference?

cpu use is high with no playback or recording and no level on the meters.. so no screen updates required...

FWIW - I'm not a software developer so i have no idea if this is relevant..
Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #45
todd160

i guess it can't be the screen.. cpu is even high when absolutely nothing is going on ( no meters moving etc). it seems like with every track i add cpu goes up at least 1 %.

that's my only problem left with osx reaper, otherwise i would register and start using it as tom already said.
todd160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #46
adouglas

From time to time I load an updated version on that old G4 laptop to see what it'll do.

I haven't tried seeing if it locks the machine up simply because that takes some time, but it still overloads and gives me choppy audio dealing with 8 tracks of playback, very few effects, no automation, nothing else running.

I was really hoping to just use that old machine as a recording tool for band practice, leaving it in the practice room, but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #47
Mjolniir

I test reaper on my iBook G4 (1.2 Ghz, max mem 1.25 gig) every month or so, but truthfully it's never run well. Hell, The newest version of garageband is pretty much TOO much for it. It ran garageband much better with GB 2 on Panther and Tiger, but with 08 on leopard it sucks. Reaper also ran better in Tiger so i am assuming that Leopard itself is consuming too much valuable CPU overhead.
Mjolniir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #48
Tom Drinkwater

reporting of plugin cpu requirements sseems to be wrong..... when i add an instance of verbiage menu meters reports much larger cpu increase than reaper does... will test more and report
Old 11-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #49
junioreq

Yeah, reaper def is a hog of sorts, out of all the Daws, reaper is the hardest on my system.

2Ghz, 1Gb ram
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #50
Tom Drinkwater

yeah the bottom line for me is that a simple session with 4 channels, a comp on each channel, and a master limiter and bussed reverb uses 16% cpu across all 4 cpus on reaper rising to 35% when recording. (as reported by menumeters)

on logic a very similar session (with a better reverb) uses 6-8% when not recording, and hardly rises at all when recording.

128 sample buffer in both cases

if you need to run loads of other stuff at the same time on the same machine then the cpu load matters, reaper is fine for me for normal recording where its the only thing running, but i do lots more complex things than that!

(I'm performing live with live video and streaming it into second life, whilst recording the unprocessed tracks in the DAW, and feeding the processed mix to the sound part of the video stream)

reaper on windows on the same machine uses similar cpu to logic - so its a osx /reaper interface issue.