Old 11-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
blitze
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine Mk3 as a functional Midi Controller

Hello fellow Maschine users.

For those like myself who have been wanting to use Maschine as a VSTi within Reaper as a Midi Controller but with Maschine software functionality.

Loading up Maschine as a single track VST, load up your Drum Kit for working in Reaper, then use the Maschine "Shift - MIDI" buttons to turn the Mk3 into a Midi Controller. Goto to the VST Software - select the Instrument Group Input Properties - Midi and drop down the menu to Drumkit.
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1605466646

Lastly, to getr the Mk3 Pads to play properly, open up Native Instruments Control Editor - Select your Maschine Mk3 and on the Drums Pad - Pad Page select Pad Page D
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1605466646

Now one can use the selected kit and record Midi with Record - Midi Overdub or which ever other setting you want within Reaper like a normal VST instrument.

To Change kits, just Shift - MIDI back into Mashine Software mode and load up your kit of choice. Once a new kit is selected, then swap back into Midi Mode. All midi data will be recorded onto the one track from the Maschine Controller.

Hope this helps any Maschine Users out there wanting the best of both worlds.

For normal VST instruments, I use Komplete Kontrol with my Nektar T6 which I have set up to cycle through controller pages and rotaries mapped to KK knobs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midi Settings Maschine for Reaper.jpg (60.8 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Pad Page D.jpg (42.1 KB, 363 views)
blitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
BobF

Thanks for posting this!
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
blitze

Yeah - I was watching a recent YT video with some guy doing the same in Pro Tools and he inspired me to try similar setup with Reaper. I am stoked I can now use Maschine as a VST with Midi recording on track with Reapers great recording features.

Being looking over Kenny Gioia's Reaper 6 Videos which are great. Learning a lot.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Or you could use one of my templates and not have to switch back and forth to MIDI mode at all.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194950

Nothin really special about the templates except the Maschine Master Controller one, which took a lot of work to achieve. I made them for others' convenience (even if most are apparently too lazy to even try them).

They mostly just allow you to record track MIDI output from Maschine and also play it back from the track without feedback. Therefore you can always be in normal Maschine mode, with all of its features, or in MIDI mode, or using an external MIDI controller to record into Maschine patterns or Reaper items, or any combination thereof.

Also, you don't need to open Controller editor to get to Pad Page D...it's group 4, you can just hit that button while in MIDI mode.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-16-2020 at 07:30 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Or you could use one of my templates and not have to switch back and forth to MIDI mode at all.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194950

Nothin really special about the templates except the Maschine Master Controller one, which took a lot of work to achieve. I made them for others' convenience (even if most are apparently too lazy to even try them).

They mostly just allow you to record track MIDI output from Maschine and also play it back from the track without feedback. Therefore you can always me in normal Maschine mode, with all of its features.

Also, you don't need to open Controller editor to get to Pad Page D...it's group 4, you can just hit that button while in MIDI mode.
Lazy? Wow. How 'bout unknown?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Lazy? Wow. How 'bout unknown?
Oh, sorry yea I didn't mean that toward you or anyone in particular....

I was just getting annoyed at how I've shared these quite a while ago and spent quite a lot of time on them trying to help folks out, but seems only a few ever dared to try them after years.

I even mention it whenever I see it come up, but Idk, maybe they're just not that helpful after all.

I guess that's kinda impolite of me anyways to butt in here...

Nothing personal!
Old 11-16-2020, 01:13 AM   #7
moss

If you want a bit more than pure MIDI mode, DrivenByMoss4Reaper supports Maschine Mk3 and Mikro Mk3 now.
Video is for Bitwig but features a pretty identical with Reaper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1OhZq6EKmY
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:39 AM   #8
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Oh, sorry yea I didn't mean that toward you or anyone in particular....

I was just getting annoyed at how I've shared these quite a while ago and spent quite a lot of time on them trying to help folks out, but seems only a few ever dared to try them after years.

I even mention it whenever I see it come up, but Idk, maybe they're just not that helpful after all.

I guess that's kinda impolite of me anyways to butt in here...

Nothing personal!
No problem. I understand.

I've had a look thru your linked thread. Looks really good. Marked for future use.

It's a shame there isn't a better way to tag/categorize some of these.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
blitze

Not that the work is unappreciated.

I took a look at the 3 kits on 1 track template and it works well but

with Record Output MIDI, one doesn't get the ability to use Reapers wonderful Record MIDI Overdub / Replace features.

I will though delve into your other templates over time and see what they do as well.

I have much to learn and although Maschine brings with it Scales and Chords and all things nice, Reaper can do the same if not more and I also like playing them in the old fashioned way, with a MIDI keyboard.

Sampling and loop based working is another thing and your method of Maschine / Reaper interaction most likely is the better for that.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitze View Post
with Record Output MIDI, one doesn't get the ability to use Reapers wonderful Record MIDI Overdub / Replace features.
Can you give me an example of that?

With my templates, new takes contain old material plus each overdubs and you can use any MIDI controller to record the notes as well.

Of course you don't have to work the way I tell you, but I've explored most ways possible working with Maschine and Reaper since Mk1.

I don't really do any sample or loop based music. These templates were created for maximum flexibility.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:24 PM   #11
themixtape

Thanks for the great, short tip. On the same wavelength, I went overboard with my MIDI mapping/Reaper/Maschine project... for anyone curious!

Here's the full playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYV...EB8WKSlXEpEdhb

Also, FoxAsteria's templates are pretty nice, too. I've used them. You can truly go nuts with this stuff.