Old 12-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
cjunekim
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI routing in Reaper

Hello

I want to run two reaper instances at the same time. I can do that. The issue is that it is not possible to share a midi device among applications.

One way to overcome this is using a virtual midi loopback device like loopmidi or loopbe. However, you still need a routing mechanism even with the virtual midi devices.

I can use some options like transmidifier or midi-ox, but if reaper has a built-in fuctionality to routing midi signals, I'd rather use it.

I know that there is MIDI hardware output for each individual track. But can I route all the midi signals from a reaper instance to a different midi device system-wide? I mean a master reaper instance duplicates and routes its midi signals to a virtual midi device, which is used by a slave reaper instance.
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I can use some options like transmidifier or midi-ox, but if reaper has a built-in fuctionality to routing midi signals, I'd rather use it..
Have you tried reawired reaper<>reaper? and feedback in routings?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
I want to run two reaper instances at the same time.
Why you want this?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
cjunekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Have you tried reawired reaper<>reaper? and feedback in routings?
Hi. Thank you for the suggestion. Thanks to your suggestion, I tried Rewire for the first time. It was nice (with some significant latency added) but it was per track base and not what I was looking for.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
cjunekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Why you want this?
Thank you for asking this.

What I want to do with two repear instances is:

I have to record a live performance. On one reaper instance, multi-track recording with some fxes on the tracks are going on. On the other reaper instance, I'd like to play some musics and some sound effects occasionally, which is also passed to the first reaper instance for recording via rearoute or jackaudio.

It is possible to do this in a single reaper instance but there is only a single play cursor and it's moving constantly due to recording. Hence, it is cumbersome to play some music and sound effects(sometimes with looping) as the recording is going on -- I have to copy and paste a music item that I want to play on a near future timeline as quickly as possible.

Maybe it'd be better to use some loop-player vst-plugin in a single reaper instance instead? Do you recommend this approach? If so, any recommended plugins?

In the mean while I realized my route could be somewhat unconvenient. I initially thought the midi signal from my controller would go to a reaper instance window with the active focus. But it was not. The midi signal goes to all the reaper instances and I could not find an option to change this behavior.

That means, if I turn a knob in my controller in order to change the track volume, it is delivered to two virtual midi ports and they are in turn delivered to two different reaper instances at the same time. So I have to set different midi assignments between two reaper instances, and otherwise the track volume in each reaper instance would move together. Maybe I could think of two reaper instances as a single big reaper instance and assign different knobs to different tracks in two reapers.

Last edited by cjunekim; 12-17-2017 at 06:55 PM.