Old 11-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
lunker
Human being with feelings

Default Anybody Using Audiomodern's Riffer ?

Is anybody here using Audiomodern's Riffer?

https://audiomodern.com/shop/plugins/riffer/

I was thinking of buying Plugin Boutique's Scaler, and noticed that they also offer a bundle with Scaler and Riffer.

I'm not sure I need Riffer, given that I'll be getting Scaler, and I already have MidiMadness3. But if enough people here say Riffer is worth it, then perhaps I'll go for the bundle.

And of course I'll wait until next week or two to see if the price goes down for the holidays.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
ChristopherT

Riffer is great!
The output is often much more musical than any other generative sequencer I have used.
There is an IOS version as well
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
lunker

Thanks!

PS -- Totally off topic, but that cute little girl hanging on to the guitar in my way-outdated avatar image was just named 1st chair flute in her middle school all-region concert band (6th - 8th grades), and just today won her school spelling bee for the 3rd year! Amazing how the time flies -- it seems like just yesterday she was still that tiny little child fascinated with helping me strum my guitar.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Eddy

use it all the time - as ChristopherT says - very musical.
As a bonus it is great to put on a track when trying out synths / designing sounds etc as the generator for notes into the synth. Just for that reason alone I would recommend it
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #5
ChristopherT

Oh - I forgot to say how great Scaler is - it has been absolutely a winner for my writing.
Again - other chord/scale programs seem cumbersome to incorporate into any workflow, but Scaler has a great workflow and integration with its midi options / expand chord ideas and scales. (as I am not a good enough keys player)
Check the online vids.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Michael AD

I have Scaler - totally worthwhile program.

I tried out both Midi Madness and Riffer and thought Midi Madness was MUCH better than Riffer. I suggest you try the demo before you purchase Riffer.

Also, I presume you have tried MIDI Ex Machina - MIDI generator script for REAPER by RobU23?

If not, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqtbqD_ji0

(And yeah... time flies with the kids!)
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
lunker

Thanks!

Yeah, I can already tell I will like Scaler!

I am happy with MidiMadness and Ex Machina, so I'm wondering if Riffer will add anything really new. I downloaded the demo last night, but won't get a chance to play with it for a week or so due to vacation travel.

Depending on how I like the Riffer demo, I'll decide whether to get the bundle or just get Scaler by itself. Maybe by the time I get back, there will be a holiday sale too, which is always nice!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Jorgen

I would love to have something similar but with chords - a chord riffer that imports midi files and then work its magic. Something like EZkeys. I really like EZkeys, but the voicing is a bit whacky sometimes. What I want is a tool for arranging music, not creating music/melodies. I see that you could do something similar with that midi script for Reaper if you wanted to, e.g. take that kick pattern and stack notes on it, then play it with some keys... the question is if it's groovy or just random.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I would love to have something similar but with chords - a chord riffer that imports midi files and then work its magic. Something like EZkeys. I really like EZkeys, but the voicing is a bit whacky sometimes. What I want is a tool for arranging music, not creating music/melodies. I see that you could do something similar with that midi script for Reaper if you wanted to, e.g. take that kick pattern and stack notes on it, then play it with some keys... the question is if it's groovy or just random.
run riffer through Obelisk
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:21 AM   #10
lunker

UPDATE

I ended up getting Scaler (which I now love), but passing on Riffer. Riffer didn't seem to provide anything other than what MIDI Madness and Ex Machina already do so well for me.

Last Friday I saw a sale on WA Productions InstaChord/InstaScale bundle, and got it for less then $10. InstaChord doesn't seem to do chord generation better than Scaler or Cthulhu. But I'm really loving InstaScale.

I especially like taking the output of MIDI Madness into InstaScale, and generating a melodic riff that way. It took most of the weekend to wrap my head around how to configure both MIDI Madness and InstaScale to work well together, but once I figured it out, I get some really cool scale-based melodies.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
X. O. Apodo

From the info online Midi Madness seems to me the one I should try.
Riffer also looks great. Expensive, but at -50% it would be an instant buy!

But I have a question.
Once I play single midi notes and record them can any of these midi chord apps analyze the the midi notes, not in real-time and offer several variations replacing the notes for chords?

Last edited by X. O. Apodo; 12-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.
X. O. Apodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #12
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by X. O. Apodo View Post
But I have a question.
Once I play single midi notes and record them can any of these midi chord apps analyze the the midi notes, not in real-time and offer several variations replacing the notes for chords?
Scaler has a DETECT function, but I have to confess that I have never played with that feature. I believe it will suggest chords/scales that pertain to the midi data. You can get a demo of Scaler to check it out.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #13
lunker

Yes, sounds like you want Scaler's "Detect" function.

It's so simple, even I can explain it after only having used Scaler for a few days:

1) Turn on the "Detect" feature
2) Play some MIDI notes into Scaler
3) Scaler will suggest some scales and keys that fit what you played. The more notes you play, the narrower the selection.
4) Select the scale/key you want to try, and Scaler will then present the chords that are available in that scale/key.
5) Scaler has many different chord options (# notes, inversions, substitutions, guitar/piano voicing, etc.) that will give you a wide range of chords to choose from.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Yes, sounds like you want Scaler's "Detect" function.

It's so simple, even I can explain it after only having used Scaler for a few days:

1) Turn on the "Detect" feature
2) Play some MIDI notes into Scaler
3) Scaler will suggest some scales and keys that fit what you played. The more notes you play, the narrower the selection.
4) Select the scale/key you want to try, and Scaler will then present the chords that are available in that scale/key.
5) Scaler has many different chord options (# notes, inversions, substitutions, guitar/piano voicing, etc.) that will give you a wide range of chords to choose from.
But I am wondering if after detecting the midi notes one is presented with a few chord variations and can then be played into your VST instrument.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #15
lunker

You can manually play the chords that Scaler suggests into a VST, if that's what you mean. That way you can see what they sound like, and decide which one you actually want to use.

I suggest you try the demo version, and see if it does what you want.