Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Default Your favorite action for the control surface

So I was thinking today and realized that my Arturia minilab has 16 encoders and 16 pads and 8 banks of that goodness, yet I use only two banks.

Further so I have 8+9 faders and ports on my other keyboard and 16 banks of that goodness yet I use only one.

All that together yields infinite possibilities.

Sooo what are your favorite control surface actions and how do you do 'things' your way with the surface.

List below for possible inspiration to assign more actions to my encoders and knobs.

PS. no perverted meanings to knobs and 'things'
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
Snap

Nothing killer here. I use a Mackie MCU and a Behringer BCR2K. The MCU just does its job while the 2K takes the VST control. It's set to work on focussed/highlighted window only, so just works for a single plugin at a time. Assign your encoders and enjoy.

I don't use banks, Just need one and I'm fine this way. But this opened my eyes. I'll get one of those for sure, but they are not cheap for what they are, just a squared keyboard! For the moment I plan to try to get some extra performance fromthe BCR2K for some extra keys/shortcuts using different banks. Don't know if I would manage to get it work, I'm a midi layman, but I guess it should work.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
planetnine

No, they're not cheap, I think they're priced for EPOS use, but you'll never look back once you've got one.

I'm looking at adding a Faderport to my set-up for the automation control. I'll map the transport keys to it, which will free-up some buttons on my Contour Shuttle for cursor jumps or zooms. I think I'm done for a while then...

>
Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
No, they're not cheap, I think they're priced for EPOS use, but you'll never look back once you've got one.

I'm looking at adding a Faderport to my set-up for the automation control. I'll map the transport keys to it, which will free-up some buttons on my Contour Shuttle for cursor jumps or zooms. I think I'm done for a while then...

>
please please please, I've been trying to think of an automation control assignment but I'm not sure how i'd go about doing that

EDIT: may be buying a mechanical keyboard and rehousing it might be better?

Last edited by Vendetta V; 11-07-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Snap

Quote:
Pretty sure about that. I'll get one sooner or later.

Quote:
I'm looking at adding a Faderport to my set-up for the automation control. I'll map the transport keys to it, which will free-up some buttons on my Contour Shuttle for cursor jumps or zooms. I think I'm done for a while then..
The MCU does those jobs here. I use the markers and regions buttons plus the Rew and FFwd modes for cursor jumps and just the mouse for zooming, but would be fine to have some additional buttons to change zooming modes.

Last edited by Snap; 11-08-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Snap

Quote:
I'm looking at adding a Faderport to my set-up for the automation control
Quote:
I've been trying to think of an automation control assignment but I'm not sure how i'd go about doing that
That would be great. I'm all ears!

Atomation is the process I hate most when I have to face it. Any help to make it smoother and less annoying would be a bless.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Atomation is the process I hate most when I have to face it. Any help to make it smoother and less annoying would be a bless.

I always construct it via mouse-clicks. That's how I've always done automation outside PT. I'm just looking for a more organic way of mixing.

I know that for me, mixing is always more fun and immediate if I get a multitrack recorder and a console set up, and I'm trying to tap into that.

I would be happier with 24 or more faders on a control surface, but I don't want to spend that if I don't know if it will be a productivity boost or a large paperweight once I've lived with it. I'm hoping the former, but I'd like to start with something cheaper and small enough that I can push out of the way if needs be.

If it becomes useful, I know it will change my workflow quite significantly -small steps...

>
Old 11-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Vendetta V

I feel you ^

I just had to automate two songs, each having 2-5 tracks of vocals (2-4 part harmonies) and a lot of instruments needing automation..

fiewwwfff
Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
technogremlin

Quote:
I would be happier with 24 or more faders on a control surface, but I don't want to spend that if I don't know if it will be a productivity boost or a large paperweight once I've lived with it.
I have to say that I can't imagine mixing without my US-2400. Specifically now that I have setup mixer-strip mode it's pure bliss
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I have to say that I can't imagine mixing without my US-2400. Specifically now that I have setup mixer-strip mode it's pure bliss

Yeah, go on, rubbit in, you git!

>
Old 11-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
technogremlin

Quote:
Yeah, go on, rubbit in, you git!

But that keyboard thing of yours is pretty daft as well.. I still have a separate numeric pad that I'm trying to convert to some preset-key thing with AutoIt... not much luck with that so far.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post

But that keyboard thing of yours is pretty daft as well.. I still have a separate numeric pad that I'm trying to convert to some preset-key thing with AutoIt... not much luck with that so far.

In the very early days of learning REAPER I would get quite frustrated because I coudn't do what I wanted when I thought of it. I would lose my workflow thread while searching for the key to press or the location in a project; finding the controls lagged way behind my thought processes.

What I was missing was a set of actions on keys suited to my workflow, of course, what any new user to any DAW faces while they thrash out familiarity. What I never quite got was the right buttons instantly under my fingertips as I needed them. I tried crib-sheets blu-tacked to the sides of my monitors, I tried floating toolbars. I just used too many functions and kept forgetting the key combinations.

I didn't really feel I'd arrived until I got that X-Keys and the Shuttle with its own set of keys to use as a transport.

The guy I bought the X-Keys from has gone in a different direction, using quite large floating toolbar arrays with dedicated small touchscreens at the side of his main VDUs, but he's quite a heavyweight REAPER user with a workstation console like the bridge of a Klingon Battle Cruiser

>