Old 06-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #1
Kaxaze music
Human being with feelings

Default Q. Intel or AMD for reaper?

Hi,
I am building a custom pc for music production and i will be using reaper as my primary daw software and i wanna know if intel cpu would give the best performance or AMD.

Is a daw like reaper mainly depends on clock speeds of a single core or number of core counts or both 50 - 50?

Also should i get a graphics card for performance boost?
Kaxaze music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
airon

Whatever you can afford.

AMD gets you more cores at less power and higher performance at the high end.

Intel is a bit behind, requires stronger cooling due to dramatically higher power demands and cannot go beyond 8 or 10 cores on its consumer platform, whereas AMD can offer 6,8,12 or 16.

Single core performance is closer together at the currently newest platforms, i.e. 11xxx for Intel and Ryzen 5xxx for AMD with an advantage for AMD.

So it depends on your budget and requirements. At the very low end Intel is a good deal with the 11400 and 11600. Mid to high tier AMD wins very clearly with the 5800X and higher.

Take your pick, but forget the 560 Intel chipset platforms. I hear baaaaad things about that one.

Any muppet graphics card will do fine. Some plugins require OpenGL which separate graphics cards can be much better at.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:39 AM   #3
Softsynth

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...m1512279vs4085

Provided you are buying a separate graphics card Intel i5 11600KF is better value and slightly more powerful on average than 5800x.
Also consider with any CPU single core performance is most important with audio processing.

Nevertheless on the whole it's good to see AMD is now serious competition for Intel again.
Then there is Apple's excellent M1 beating both on the low power consumption portable systems. Unfortunately tied to Apple's unappealing closed system, but still evidence of healthy competition they both have to deal with.

Last edited by Softsynth; 06-18-2021 at 12:55 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:41 AM   #4
mplay

Just built a 11400 system and I’m very happy. There are good B560 boards but they aren’t cheap, the YouTube channel hardware unboxed has recently tested a couple. I ended up getting a msi z590-a pro and it’s working great, all core boost is sustained at 4.2 ghz. Also didn’t have any trouble getting my pci RME card running with a startech pcie adapter. I’m not using the onboard graphics, but it could come in handy as graphics cards are still very hard to come by at the moment, something to consider if you buy AMD without onboard graphics.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #5
Doc Brown

Just got done building a 5800x system and it's smoking fast. Everything is virtually instantaneous and without lag. This weekend I'm going to install the interface driver and see how it runs at 64 samples at 48k. I'll report as soon as I can.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:11 AM   #6
Undertowe

Just to throw something else into the conversation, one advantage I got by going with intel was being able to add a thunderbolt card to my computer since the motherboard supported it.
Undertowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:04 AM   #7
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertowe View Post
Just to throw something else into the conversation, one advantage I got by going with intel was being able to add a thunderbolt card to my computer since the motherboard supported it.
On the Macs you have automatic Thunderbolt support, but on Windows PCs you should research a lot before choosing a system for that capability. A important, valid concern.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote