Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
live
Human being with feelings

Default no need for Windows x64 to use more RAM!?

I just joined this forum & I want to begin here starting a new thread. (BTW: I think this community rocks!) hehe

I've read some of the threads concerning Windows x64 & 64bit processing. but my starting point is a different one than sound processing in 64 bits. my point is just using 4GB RAM or more.
I had the problem with Windows XP Home & Professional detecting only 2.5GB though 4GB installed!
I then lost 3 days tweaking around with Windows XP x64 and had very bad experience with it. I use M-Audio FW 410, so I had a 2 year old beta-driver for my Audio-Interface. I started using it with REAPER & other music apps: I had to set 1024smp latency & more to ban the crackeling from the signal. so this was no solution either.
I then figured something new (though I'm not totally through testing this one): Windows Server 2003 can handle up to 64GB RAM!

So here two questions:

1) is Reaper capable of using the full amount of RAM installed with Windows Server 2003?
2) does it run on Windows Server 2003?

there seem to be driver issues also (FW 410 driver did not install, but MotU 828 did! Edirol PCR-50 installed fine also).
but one has the chance to use the x68 drivers (if they work), so the latency problem is solved!

I will post here again when I have the time to test a bit more with this issue using more than 2 or 3GB RAM, for i know more & more musicians need more RAM with their accumulating sample libraries...

regards
live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by live View Post
1) is Reaper capable of using the full amount of RAM installed with Windows Server 2003?
2) does it run on Windows Server 2003?
I only have 2 GB of RAM on my system but it seems to be able to access all of that correctly. I've been running Reaper on my Windows XP x64 Edition for over a year without any major problems.

I'm actually using an M-Audio FW1814, and the driver for that is a "beta" that's 2 years old. Works fine for me. If you're having issues with your driver try contacting M-Audio technical support. I've always found them to be helpful.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
live

Default thx

thank you malcolmj for your reply,

you also using win x64 edt. actually saved me time searching at the wrong end!
it seems that not the m-audio beta-driver caused the hick-ups...
i installed win x64 on a test drive again & now everything is working properly. 4GB RAM & a working driver for my m-audio fw-410.
malcolm, you're an angel. without your reply, i wouldn't have tried further to fix this 4GB RAM problem & have brought back the 2GB RAM to the vendor...

thank you so much!!!

ergo: need more than 4GB RAM? use win xp x64 (if drivers are available) or buy apple, when reaper mac-version comes out...

regards
live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
LabbyRoad

Quote:
I've been running Reaper on my Windows XP x64 Edition for over a year without any major problems.

I'm actually using an M-Audio FW1814, and the driver for that is a "beta" that's 2 years old. Works fine for me.
Malcom, I'm trying to get a similar setup to work (FW1814 under Win XP x64) but am getting no sound from my FW1814. It was previously working under XP 32 bit. Did you encounter anything similar?

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. Email me if you have any suggestions.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabbyRoad View Post
Malcom, I'm trying to get a similar setup to work (FW1814 under Win XP x64) but am getting no sound from my FW1814. It was previously working under XP 32 bit. Did you encounter anything similar?
Did you do a clean install of x64, or update from XP?

Which driver are you using? I'm using version 5.10.00.5034.

What motherboard?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
LabbyRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
Did you do a clean install of x64, or update from XP?

Which driver are you using? I'm using version 5.10.00.5034.
Thanks Malcolm,

I'm installing on a Shuttle SD39P2 XPC on a freshly formatted HD (no upgrade), and I'm using the 5.10.00.5034 drivers.

Installation of the drivers goes without a hitch. I can even control the volume sliders in the tray app from the volume knob on the 1814 and when I play audio from any app, I can see the VU meters moving in the tray app. Just no sound and no other indication that anything is wrong.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
malcolmj

Quote:
I can even control the volume sliders in the tray app from the volume knob on the 1814 and when I play audio from any app, I can see the VU meters moving in the tray app. Just no sound and no other indication that anything is wrong.
Sounds like a hardware problem. Have you checked all of the hardware outputs - i.e. is there chance that one pair of outputs has died?

If the hardware checks out fine I would contact M-Audio technical support. They've always been really fast and helpful to me.

FWIW, the only problem I ever encountered was a conflict with the on-board sound chip on my nVidia motherboard - but that is sorted now and they both co-exist peacefully. I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ processor on an N-Vidia SLI Premium motherboard.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
LabbyRoad

Quote:
Sounds like a hardware problem.
I'll test it on another computer running XP. In the meantime I tried switching over to an Edirol FA-101 I had laying around. After successfully installing Roland's Win64 drivers, the result was the same. Device manager shows that it's working properly but no audio on playback.

The motherboard's on-board sound card is disabled in BIOS, BTW.

I sent an email to M-Audio support and they responded by saying that they don't officially support Win XP 64. Also no 64 bit Vista drivers yet.

My overall experience with Win XP 64 is not very positive. Frequent BSODs caused by x64 software and drivers. Maybe my hardware is just not adequately supported.

I'm thinking of trying Windows 2003 Enterprise instead. It supports >4GB RAM but is still 32 bit, so divers should not a big issue.

Last edited by LabbyRoad; 08-19-2007 at 06:55 AM.
LabbyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
malcolmj

Quote:
My overall experience with Win XP 64 is not very positive. Frequent BSODs caused by x64 software and drivers. Maybe my hardware is just not adequately supported.

I'm thinking of trying Windows 2003 Enterprise instead. It supports >4GB RAM but is still 32 bit, so divers should not a big issue.
I think I will end up switching back to standard XP eventually. I spent most of last night using Recovery Console to rescue my system after running into terminal Registry problems - for the third time since installing x64.

Good luck with Windows 2003 Enterprise.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
LabbyRoad

Quote:
Good luck with Windows 2003 Enterprise.
Thanks. I've actually installed it now and unlike XP x64, it's ROCK SOLID. The only problem that I ran into was that M-Audio's drivers refuse to install on Windows Server. I think that this is the last straw for me. I won't be buying any more M-Audio products. Another company ruined after being acquired by Avid.

Fortunately, I also had an Edirol FA-101 sitting around and the XP drivers for that install without a hitch! Latency has actually improved by a couple of ms. I don't know if the difference is Windows Server 2003 or the FA-101.

Malcolm, if you have access to Win 2K3E and you need to address more than 4GB RAM, I can confidently recommend it. The only thing is you'd have to dump your 1814.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
happymonkey

Quote:
Thanks. I've actually installed it now and unlike XP x64, it's ROCK SOLID. The only problem that I ran into was that M-Audio's drivers refuse to install on Windows Server. I think that this is the last straw for me. I won't be buying any more M-Audio products. Another company ruined after being acquired by Avid.

Fortunately, I also had an Edirol FA-101 sitting around and the XP drivers for that install without a hitch! Latency has actually improved by a couple of ms. I don't know if the difference is Windows Server 2003 or the FA-101.

Malcolm, if you have access to Win 2K3E and you need to address more than 4GB RAM, I can confidently recommend it. The only thing is you'd have to dump your 1814.
I was thinking about this and it didn't seem right.... did a quick google search.... found this....

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...1#140006816831

This post by "iobe", the response by "kcisobderf" (3 posts below), and "iobe"'s follow up to that may help you out.

The posted link to the M$ application is dead, but I was able to find what should be the updated version here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

It may not work, but it could....?

Good luck!

hm
happymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #12
LabbyRoad

[QUOTE=happymonkey;102382]It may not work, but it could....?[QUOTE]

Thanks Happy. I'll check it out. My experience using XP drivers under W2K3 and vise versa has been mostly positive. I think that what is happening with M-Audio's driver is that the install package is specifically checking for Windows XP and not finding it and so it aborts the install.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
happymonkey

[QUOTE=LabbyRoad;102396][QUOTE=happymonkey;102382]It may not work, but it could....?
Quote:

Thanks Happy. I'll check it out. My experience using XP drivers under W2K3 and vise versa has been mostly positive. I think that what is happening with M-Audio's driver is that the install package is specifically checking for Windows XP and not finding it and so it aborts the install.
In that case it may work. One of the posts in that thread mentioned a driver compatibility mode so you could be in luck.

hm
Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
malcolmj

Quote:
Hi LabbyRoad,

No chance I'll be dumping the 1814 - it's always worked fine for me. Glad to hear that Windows 2003 is working for you.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
funkster1

[QUOTE=LabbyRoad;102396][QUOTE=happymonkey;102382]It may not work, but it could....?
Quote:
I think that what is happening with M-Audio's driver is that the install package is specifically checking for Windows XP and not finding it and so it aborts the install.
IIRC you can simply unpack the driver files with WinRAR from the M-Audio installer. If that doesn't work, search for a tool called "Uniextract", which does just this, extracting files from installers.
Then you could do a manual install. Right-click the "Unknown Multimedia device" (or whatever it is called in your hardware tab), -> Install/Update drivers -> point the dialog boxes to your unpacked drivers and hopefully it'll see and install them.
The M-Audio panel can be moved manually to the win/System32 folder if it isn't done automatically.
I know that I did it once on my XP box, because I refused to install SP2.

Cheers
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #16
happymonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
...tool called "Uniextract", which does just this, extracting files from installers....

Cheers
Raphael
Wow, great find! I was looking for something to do this a while ago but apparently wasn't searching for the right thing.

Thanks!

hm
Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #17
tprami

Hello,

In XP normally programs are allowed to access mem up to 2GB, pro can see more mem than 2GB, I think up to 4.

You can start XP in /3GB mode for allowing programs to access up to 3GB of ram. It is up to program will it work with extra GB or crash (Depends on how MemoryAllocation/manager is done in program)

Make C:\boot.ini writable and edit it, you can add new line into it so there is always an way back to original if you see any problems.

Look at:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx
http://www.amiravis.com/3GBswitch-instruction.html

-TP-
tprami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
I only have 2 GB of RAM on my system but it seems to be able to access all of that correctly. I've been running Reaper on my Windows XP x64 Edition for over a year without any major problems.

I'm actually using an M-Audio FW1814, and the driver for that is a "beta" that's 2 years old. Works fine for me. If you're having issues with your driver try contacting M-Audio technical support. I've always found them to be helpful.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
what programs plugins do you run? Any compatibility issues?

---

and what about windows server? Do you need seperate drivers for that?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote