Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #1
odelay
Human being with feelings

Default Track Manager: Keyboard shorcut to hide all tracks but one?

I don't know if this has been implemented or not, but I think it would be useful. I've read the manual Track Manager section, and searched the forum, but found no reference.

I know you can click & drag to activate/deactivate several tracks at once in the Track Manager columns. But let's say one would like to hide ALL tracks except one in the TCP or the MCP. Is there a Keyboard shortcut + mouse click to achieve this and leave just one track visible? If there is one, can any of you guys show me how to do it? And if there isn't one yet, maybe it should be considered by our guys at Cockos.
odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
xpander

You could make a custom action for this. For example something like this:
Custom: Hide unselected tracks

SWS: Save current track selection
SWS: Toggle (invert) track selection
SWS: Hide selected track(s)
SWS: Restore saved track selection
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
odelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
You could make a custom action for this. For example something like this:
Custom: Hide unselected tracks

SWS: Save current track selection
SWS: Toggle (invert) track selection
SWS: Hide selected track(s)
SWS: Restore saved track selection
If I only knew how to do this... - I've just checked the "New action" button, but I don't know how to proceed to create an action to hide all tracks but the selected one in TCP. Any advice?
Old 01-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #4
xpander

Reaper has over 5000 separate actions and over 8000 if you have installed SWS extensions. Yet it can easily happen that user might want to do something specific which is not possible with any single one of them, but can be done with a custom action or a script.

So the ability to make custom actions is a really helpful skill and is not hard to do once you understand the basics of it. Reaper User Guide 6.21c, 15.16 Creating Custom Action Macros, page 284. And Kenny Gioias video, Custom Actions in REAPER.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:46 AM   #5
odelay

Quote:
Reaper has over 5000 separate actions and over 8000 if you have installed SWS extensions. Yet it can easily happen that user might want to do something specific which is not possible with any single one of them, but can be done with a custom action or a script.

So the ability to make custom actions is a really helpful skill and is not hard to do once you understand the basics of it. Reaper User Guide 6.21c, 15.16 Creating Custom Action Macros, page 284. And Kenny Gioias video, Custom Actions in REAPER.
Thank you very much. Is it safe to install SWS extensions? I've heard about them, but I thought I could do with what "standard" Reaper had to offer. If you don't mind, could you give me a few examples of what you usually do with them? - Greetings from Spain. Keep safe and stay healthy.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
xpander

SWS extensions are safe to install and will add useful features and actions to Reaper. I use many of those added actions all the time.

Many users would say it's a must have addition, but that will of course depend on personal needs also. It's not really going to harm your normal Reaper duties, it's just one additional main menu entry which you will only open if you need those features. It will add a considerable amount of new actions to the Actions list, which in theory makes browsing the list harder. But the benefit of all the added actions far outweigh that. There are several thousand of them in there anyway, so users will have to learn some search-fu anyway to navigate in there.

As for your case in this topic, the custom action I suggested for you relies totally on SWS actions, so you simply can't make it like that unless you have installed the extension.

Last edited by xpander; 01-24-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
odelay

Quote:
SWS extensions are safe to install and will add useful features and actions to Reaper. I use many of those added actions all the time.

Many users would say it's a must have addition, but that will of course depend on personal needs also. It's not really going to harm your normal Reaper duties, it's just one additional main menu entry which you will only open if you need those features. It will add a considerable amount of new actions to the Actions list, which in theory makes browsing the list harder. But the benefit of all the added actions far outweigh that. There are several thousand of them in there anyway, so users will have to learn some search-fu anyway to navigate in there.

As for your case in this topic, the custom action I suggested for you relies totally on SWS actions, so you simply can't make it like that unless you have installed the extension.
Got it. Thank you very much!
Old 01-24-2021, 06:24 PM   #8
Philbo King

A quick way:
Type the first 2 letters of the track name in the text window at top of the Track Manager.

If you have a lot of tracks starting with the same word, like "Guit", you can add another partial word, like "le" for lead.