Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Rec
Human being with feelings

Default Recording video along with audio in Reaper

What would be the easiest way to record a video track in sync with audio track inside Reaper using a USB web cam?
Rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Blechi

What software are you using to record the video?
Blechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Rec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechi View Post
What software are you using to record the video?
I'm using Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 with the software that comes with it. But if I have to use another software application I might consider that.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
GregHolmes

Record the video (and the audio from the built-in camera mic) into the Logitech app, and record your audio through a good audio interface into Reaper.

Stand in front of the camera and record a "clap" (just like you see on movie sets) at the beginning and at the end. With those audio/video reference points, you'll be able to stretch or shrink your Reaper audio to fit the video length.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Rec

Ok, thanks Greg. What I was hoping I could do, was to play e.g. a guitar riff using my normal plugins in reaper, and record the video inside reaper, so I had a reference for what fingering and fret position I was using on a particular riff.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Blechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHolmes View Post
Record the video (and the audio from the built-in camera mic) into the Logitech app, and record your audio through a good audio interface into Reaper.

Stand in front of the camera and record a "clap" (just like you see on movie sets) at the beginning and at the end. With those audio/video reference points, you'll be able to stretch or shrink your Reaper audio to fit the video length.
Since recording video in REAPER is not possible this would be the easiest way to sync audio and video.
When everything is recorded, import the video in REAPER and align the recorded audio to the video's audio track as described by Greg.
Mix and render the recorded audio.
Then import the video and the rendered audio track in your video editor, align the audio track and render the video.
Blechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #7
Rec

Thanks for your help guys. Those a great methods. However I was looking for a quick convenient way to do this, so I think I'll make a request for some basic video recording in Reaper. I know Reaper is not a video app. but I think it would be a great feature to deal with for example the scenario described above.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
TimOBrien

If you want that, do yourself a favor and check out Sony Vegas Studio ($50 or so) Demo on their website and you can buy it on Amazon.com

It's the Reaper of video editors.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
musicbynumbers

I do this too (for not having to write down the notation). just record to a decent phone (n95) or digital camera and then you can reimport the video into reaper if needed and use the video's audio track to sync it up or do it by eye and ear.

Doubt it you will see baseic video recording in reaper but I'd vote for it if you make it into a voting request!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Sound asleep

oooh so that's what those take clappy things for in movies. i always wondered what the heck was the point of those. I always though it was just to get a reference for the take number and stuff like that, but i could never figure out the clap that seemed to be attached to nothing and doing nothing.

you learn something everyday i guess.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Rec

Don't forget many laptops have a little built in camera. It would be nice if you could use this to record e.g. a guitar riff to document the fingering and fret position. We could call this feature Video Notepad.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
leafac

It’s more than 10 years late, but here’s my take on this problem: I built a bridge between REAPER and OBS so that you can start/stop recording in both in sync. The resulting video just shows up in the REAPER timeline, ready to edit.

leafac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #13
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafac View Post
It’s more than 10 years late, but here’s my take on this problem: I built a bridge between REAPER and OBS so that you can start/stop recording in both in sync. The resulting video just shows up in the REAPER timeline, ready to edit.

Seems pretty cool. Funny seeing my old posts in this thread, like when I figured out what the clapper was for lol. It's funny because I was recently thinking of this problem.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #14
serr

ffmpeg records video

Tip: Record the video stream raw for the least CPU hit. (Because encoding on the fly takes CPU time! And you're already doing that with one stream for the broadcast!)

If you are working with live video + live audio, the video will lag behind the audio. If you're streaming for broadcast (eg with OBS), you can put a delay on the broadcast master bus track. That would let you keep a low latency in Reaper if needed for live performance monitoring and/or fx use.

If you don't need to low latency monitor anything live - either because monitoring with a different mixer or not needing to monitor an acoustic setup or whatever it is - there's a crafty workaround to ease up on your CPU. Instead of putting a delay on your broadcast bus to push it ahead to match the video, set your block size high and do the offset that way.

I had my laptop recording 20 tracks of audio and a raw 1080p video stream while mixing the broadcast mix live in Reaper and broadcasting with OBS.

Tip #2:
OBS assumes any audio device is only two channels. (OBS is a bit of a piece of work yet.) If you need to output to audio interface channels other than 1/2, make an aggregate device of your audio interface + Soundflower (or other favorite virtual audio device app). Send the broadcast mix output to Soundflower. Select Soundflower as the audio device in OBS.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
leafac

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
ffmpeg records video
Yes, it does, but I want to share my experience having spent many hours pursuing that venue:

ffmpeg can record video, but it’s slow at it, and it isn’t reliable. At least it wasn’t reliable for me, because I lost footage for no apparent reason. ffmpeg is designed mainly for asynchronous video tasks, like encoding. I recommend people stick with OBS. It’s is much better; it’s designed for recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Tip #2:
OBS assumes any audio device is only two channels. (OBS is a bit of a piece of work yet.) If you need to output to audio interface channels other than 1/2, make an aggregate device of your audio interface + Soundflower (or other favorite virtual audio device app). Send the broadcast mix output to Soundflower. Select Soundflower as the audio device in OBS.
Speaking of “favorite virtual audio device app,” I recommend people use BlackHole instead of SoundFlower. SoundFlower uses older macOS technology (a kernel extension, as opposed to BlackHole, which is a HAL plugin). Also, SoundFlower development has stopped in 2014 (with only documentation updates and repackagings since then).
leafac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
serr

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

When I tried recording the video in high quality with OBS while broadcasting, I got dropouts. Nothing pushing the CPU too far either. Something was wrong. That's what led me to try ffmpeg. Recording with no compression means no CPU hungry encoder.

It's all fun in theory. I think there's a reason people are still using stupidly expensive hardware for video.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote