Old 04-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
excitron
Human being with feelings

Default Rendering WAV stems from MIDI files

Hi folks, I have a question regarding the subject title. Whenever I render audio stems from midi tracks, I notice that I can't render the rendered WAVs to MP3 in CDex. CDex actually does render an MP3 file out, but it's completely blank.

In order to get around this, I have to render MP3 stems out of the new project WAVs in the render box.

So that's a bit of a mystery to me that I would love to get resolved but, really, I do wish Reaper just gave you a format option box when rendering tracks out to stems when you right click on the tracks, audio or midi, in the first place.
excitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
akademie

Hm, and the WAV files aren't also completely blank? Did you listened to them?

To render MIDI to audio it needs to be played either by VST instrument (in the box) or by external synth/keyboard. In first case it is simple as choosing Render... etc. In case of external synths, they need to be first recorded as audio in timeline, be looped back using ReaInsert plugin, and in Render dialog select Online Render instead of Offline.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
excitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hm, and the WAV files aren't also completely blank? Did you listened to them?

To render MIDI to audio it needs to be played either by VST instrument (in the box) or by external synth/keyboard. In first case it is simple as choosing Render... etc. In case of external synths, they need to be first recorded as audio in timeline, be looped back using ReaInsert plugin, and in Render dialog select Online Render instead of Offline.
Yes of course I was using software synths. Rendering the stems out to WAV was no problem. However CDex couldn't convert the Reaper rendered WAVs to MP3, although I could convert them right within Reaper. Other WAV files regularly convert to MP3 in CDex, so I'm curious as too if there's any kind of meta data either missing or added keeping CDex from rendering data out.

As I had mentioned, it would be nice if you could just select all your midi tracks and render them directly to MP3, or any other format you'd prefer, by right-clicking and choosing the render tracks to stems option.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by excitron View Post
<snip>
As I had mentioned, it would be nice if you could just select all your midi tracks and render them directly to MP3, or any other format you'd prefer, by right-clicking and choosing the render tracks to stems option.
It can already be done!

You just need to select format for Render/Freeze in
Project settings... -> Media tab -> Format for Apply FX / Glue / Freeze etc. button
there choose "Custom..." and select your desired format (e.g. MP3 and its parameters)
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
excitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
It can already be done!

You just need to select format for Render/Freeze in
Project settings... -> Media tab -> Format for Apply FX / Glue / Freeze etc. button
there choose "Custom..." and select your desired format (e.g. MP3 and its parameters)
...well, that just makes it the new format standard for rendering out stems. I'd like to just choose right at the right-click, so I can render it as whatever I'd want, WAV, MP3, OGG, etc.