Old 07-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
oldmanstan
Human being with feelings

Default Default Track Sends?

This question has been brought up before, and I couldn't find an answer - but there's been so many updates to REAPER, both first party, and extensions, that maybe there's new info.

The context: I have a lot of design intensive "Audio Drama" projects coming up. REAPER is perfect for these kinds of projects, as they quickly become hundreds of tracks large.

My issue: about half those tracks need a tiny pinch of "room" reverb.

I would love to have a MIDI knob control "Send Selected Track to Reverb track". Without having to manually open up the routing menu, or doing a routing drag'n'drop while scrolling past 100 tracks.

To start, it's easy to have my default REAPER template open every new project with one or two Fabfilter Pro R Reverb tracks.

The issue: While it's easy to set every new track have a default FX chain, there doesn't seem to be a setting like "Every New Track Has This Specific Default Send"?

It works if I manually duplicate an existing track with the Sends already setup. Though for workflow purposes, I'd obviously rather prefer that CMD+T be the one command that does this automatically.

I can piece this together with a custom action which combines "Insert New Track" with SWS's "SWS/S&M: Paste sends to selected tracks", though that doesn't work if I create a new project.

I'm sure there's a simple, or clever way to do this that I've skimmed over - any thoughts?

Thanks for insight!
oldmanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstan View Post
I'm sure there's a simple, or clever way to do this that I've skimmed over - any thoughts?
Rather than thinking in terms of sending to the reverb track, think in terms of receiving from it.

Put the audio tracks in the project first, then make the reverb track.

Click the "Route" button on the reverb track
Click "Add new receive"
Scroll to the bottom of the track list....

"Add receives from all tracks"

Now remove the ones you don't want.

Easier?
Quote:
Without having to manually open up the routing menu, or doing a routing drag'n'drop while scrolling past 100 tracks.
I would avoid doing a routing drag'n'drop while scrolling past 100 tracks by moving the send track next to the receive track and then doing the drag'n'drop. It's a bit less fiddly.

I can't think of a way to get a new track to send to an FX track by default. However, if you were to save a project template with 100 empty tracks all sending to track 1, that would open up possibilities like copying tracks (including track 1) from the template in one tab, and pasting them into the project in another tab. The routing would be preserved, I think. The advantage would be that you could copy and paste many tracks at once, all with that correct routing.

There would remain the problem of getting audio on to them all, of course.... still, it's another way to look at the problem.

Last edited by Fex; 07-25-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
oldmanstan

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to pop by and helping me brainstorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Put the audio tracks in the project first, then make the reverb track
Ah, this would work brilliantly if I was mixing someone else's work. My issue here is that, as the sound designer, I'm adding new tracks often, and deliberately over a month, while bouncing drafts for directors. I couldn't really work "dry" and save verb for the end.

Quote:
I would avoid doing a routing drag'n'drop while scrolling past 100 tracks by moving the send track next to the receive track and then doing the drag'n'drop
Feels like six-in-one-hand, half-dozen in the other.

Quote:
if you were to save a project template with 100 empty tracks all sending to track 1
This seems to be the closest I can get to a solution, so far. Though it's not quite right? For the sake of organization and experimentation, I'm often adding / deleting tracks in the middle of the stack, which then would fudge things up.

With all of REAPERs customizability, I'm surprised there's not an obvious solution here 🤔.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:41 AM   #4
Fex

Quote:
With all of REAPERs customizability, I'm surprised there's not an obvious solution here 🤔.
I think many of us would be interested in a solution; I suspect that the difficulty is figuring out how to implement it so that it would suit different workflows.... a command to create a track with a send can't be hard to do, but the question is, where would it send to? Any track named Reverb? No good, SWIM wants to send to a delay. Track 1? Not very practical. Prompt for receiving track? Meh.

The best idea I have is, the new track would send to selected tracks (you'd still have to hunt down and select your reverb track). Do you have anything better?

I still don't know if it's possible to implement this, but perhaps it would help if we knew exactly what it was we wanted implemented, IYSWIM.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
oldmanstan

Quote:
it would help if we knew exactly what it was we wanted implemented, IYSWIM.
Ah - good way of putting it.

If boiled down to it's simplest form: Maybe the vocabulary wouldn't be "default send", but instead "automatic receive"?

Because if I had to implement a lil' checkbox setting to do what I'm thinking, it might look like this:

If that was an option, it would be useful for both folks who want it in their default template, or folks who might utilize it on a project by project basis.

I'm not sure I have the noodle to build that lil' photoshop into a real extension, though.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
Fex

Quote:
Because if I had to implement a lil' checkbox setting to do what I'm thinking, it might look like this:

I'd have to stop using Reaper....

Spelling, sir!

I really like the idea, even though I can see it causing major problems in the wrong hands. I, for one, am bound to forget that it's checked, wonder where the noise is coming from, and then realise that I've accidentally sent thirty-three new tracks to a subtle delay over a fortnight....

I still want one, though.

Last edited by Fex; 07-26-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
heda

you can create all kind of scripts to create sends to your favourite tracks. how to determine the tracks? by name? by having a prefix or suffix? or simply save selected track as various presets? you can do all that with Track Inspector script for example.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
oldmanstan

Quote:
Spelling, sir!
Oof I am whole heartedly embarrassed.

Quote:
I, for one, am bound to forget that it's checked
Sure - although that's true for a hundred different parameters & settings in REAPER. If it defaulted to -inf, and only was engaged when dialing your MIDI knob set to "Adjust track send 1 volume" (or with your mouse on the UI, of course) then I couldn't image it causing any trouble?

I've realized that what I'm describing is basically no different than an FX/Aux pot on a mixer, where every channel, while "zeroed out" at first can be dialed in, and is only a quick second away, because the i/o labeled FX is hard patched into your unit of choice.

Quote:
you can do all that with Track Inspector script for example.
Thanks for this, that looks like a neat extension - and while I'm not seeing my specific use case detailed, I do believe you when you say it's there. Although it looks like that package includes a lot of UI changes, which I'm not in the market for.

Last edited by oldmanstan; 07-26-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #9
misterN22

hi i did
or rather, rewrote the script of a certain rgb

it works like this:

when opening a new track
sends to 11 tracks automatically appear on it
you must change the names of the recipient channels in the script instead of "1" "2" "3" to your own values (for example, reverb, delay)
if you are using less than 11 receiver channels, just unnecessary values as they are
it's all in a line
serFXReceiveNames = {"1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10", "11"} --Names of Receive Tracks inside the curly brackets

you also need to save the track template in resources in order to refer to it through the script
I have it 2, you must have your own number

TemplateNumber = "2" --Put the slot number inside the quotes

it works via hotkey which you assign in actions, double click on the panel doesn't work

https://github.com/Minner24/Sends-By...20Template.lua
misterN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #10
misterN22

also i have script which allows you to set up to 11 sends on an already created track

works the same, change the values "1" "2" etc to your own values that you use in your project templates

https://github.com/Minner24/Sends-By...f%20sendssends
misterN22 is offline   Reply With Quote