Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Marantz
Human being with feelings

Default How to mark a place on an audio file in reaper?

I searched for this and couldn't find an anwser, any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible to mark a place on an audio file and have it stay there even while shifting BPM, or moving the audio around?

Markers just mark the place on a timeline, I want a place on a piece of audio tagged.

Thanks.

Last edited by Marantz; 12-22-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Needed to.
Marantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
planetnine

Item markers: they’d be a great addition to REAPER.

I’ve only been able to mock up tracking take/item markers using project markers and a tracking script. It’s a bit messy, but it shows what we could have. We need to put the feature request in again and lobby the devs on it

An alternative is to mark an item with a project marker and then re-render that item creating a “cue marker” at the project marker point. With the cue point visibility enabled, you’ll then have a permanent index in the item and its new source file. It can’t be moved or deleted though, only re-rendered...

>
Old 12-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
nofish

Or you could (kind of) abuse stretch markers (with rate 1.0) for it. Becomes fiddly though when also using stretch markers for actual stretching.

I suggested to expand stretch markers 'a little' (different layout, maybe possibility to label them) when they were introduced as I think they are quite close already to be useable as actual item marker, but no luck yet, unfortunately.

Last edited by nofish; 12-22-2017 at 05:40 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
hopi

so is it possible to have a lua script that would directly add cue markers to a file?
I ask cuz I know so little about what is or is not possible?
Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
juliansader

I also think it would be nifty if REAPER could edit markers in audio items (at least, if wav or wavpack is the default audio format).

I often have to mark different positions in many different tracks, and project markers are not really up to the task.

REAPER already has the code to read and display cue markers and to write them to wav/wavpack files, so I hope it would be easy to add a few actions to insert and delete markers, and to click-drag them in the arrange view.

AFAIK, scripts cannot edit cue markers, except by editing the source file directly.

Some external editors, such as RX6, can edit markers, and if REAPER's Preferences -> "Set media items offline when application is not active" is checked, the external editors can update the original source file, without having to rename and reload anything.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
kfj452

So does this exist yet? Reaper can see and display the markers saved in the WAV files, and I can create markers in Reaper, but they aren't saved to WAV files unless there's a method I'm missing.
kfj452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfj452 View Post
So does this exist yet? Reaper can see and display the markers saved in the WAV files, and I can create markers in Reaper, but they aren't saved to WAV files unless there's a method I'm missing.
maybe check out the options in project settings / media - i believe "do not include markers..." is the default but you can change it

or the render settings window, whichever is appropriate
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
pnin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfj452 View Post
hello, i was looking for that as well. found it at last... look for "item: set snap offset to cursor" or "item: set snap offset to nearest grid line"

:-)
pnin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
MusoBob

X-Raym has something here Insert a cue point marker at edit cursor position on selected items
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
MusoBob

You might be able to modify this https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=214539#24

and get it to replace the existing item with the rendered one that has the cue points.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
MusoBob

amagalma Write project markers as media cues to selected items' active takes' source

Old 03-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Luster

There is also that take commenter script. Not sure if it is included in ReaPack.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #13
zappaonthekrappa

This is exactly the thing I am looking for... however, I can see the markers when I open in Soundforge, but not the text - any ideas?
zappaonthekrappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
aliteralmind

I would like to add to this request. I want to mark up my media items and have the markers stay attached to the items as I move them around. I want to mark up the items much more often than I want to mark the overall timeline.

I use MP3s, so the WAV plugin is unfortunately not helpful.

Thanks.
aliteralmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #15
X-Raym

This is somehow solved with 6.09 Take Markers (it is take level, wich IMHO is good like this).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #16
Nüwa

It solves markers being tied to items but doesn't really solve adding in markers that are embedded inside the file. For example if I add markers on an audio file in RX i will see said markers in reaper. I was looking for a way to add those same kindof markers inside of reaper and commit them to the file so I can open RX and see the markers I made in reaper.
Nüwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 03:24 PM   #17
jamesp

I think the only way to insert markers into a file is to render to a new file and choose the option to insert markers.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:04 PM   #18
MusoBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nüwa View Post
..I was looking for a way to add those same kindof markers inside of reaper and commit them to the file so I can open RX and see the markers I made in reaper.
ReaTrak-insert-media-cue-to-selected-item-active-take-wav-source-file.zip
ReaTrak-amagalma_Write-project-markers-or-regions-as-media-cues-to-selected-items-active-takes-source-files.zip