Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #521
jnif
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
I noticed this too!!! I heard it and thought I was mad but now you confirm it! Hope it's not hard to fix
It looks like there is some timing bug in Reaper when using MIDI plugins in input FX. The problem is not related to Megababy. It happens also with other plugin. For example, I tested it with Kirnu arpeggiator VSTi, and I got the same inaccurate timing in recorded MIDI item.
I tested with both "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring in recorded items" ON and OFF. There was timing problems in both cases.
  1. "Preserve PDC ..." OFF: All notes are early in the recorded MIDI item.
  2. "Preserve PDC ..." ON: The first note is late and other notes seem to be at correct position. Reaper adjusts event timing by shifting "Start in source" in take properties. This can be confusing and could cause other timing problems in later edits if user does not notice the automatic adjustment of "Start in source". For example, in my test the "Start in source" was automatically set to -0:00.007.

For converting Megababy output to MIDI items I would recommend to keep Megababy in normal FX chain (not in input FX), insert an empty MIDI item, and use "Apply track/take FX to items as new take (MIDI output)".
The method shown in Kenny Gioia's video would be handy but it looks like those timing problems have to be fixed in Reaper first to make that method reliable.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #522
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
It looks like there is some timing bug in Reaper when using MIDI plugins in input FX. The problem is not related to Megababy. It happens also with other plugin. For example, I tested it with Kirnu arpeggiator VSTi, and I got the same inaccurate timing in recorded MIDI item.
I tested with both "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring in recorded items" ON and OFF. There was timing problems in both cases.
  1. "Preserve PDC ..." OFF: All notes are early in the recorded MIDI item.
  2. "Preserve PDC ..." ON: The first note is late and other notes seem to be at correct position. Reaper adjusts event timing by shifting "Start in source" in take properties. This can be confusing and could cause other timing problems in later edits if user does not notice the automatic adjustment of "Start in source". For example, in my test the "Start in source" was automatically set to -0:00.007.

For converting Megababy output to MIDI items I would recommend to keep Megababy in normal FX chain (not in input FX), insert an empty MIDI item, and use "Apply track/take FX to items as new take (MIDI output)".
The method shown in Kenny Gioia's video would be handy but it looks like those timing problems have to be fixed in Reaper first to make that method reliable.

jnif
I heard this in normal chain, not input FX - also note that I didn't see any wrong MIDI notes recorded when rendering MIDI from sequencer to items (to edit sequenced material by hand).

I simply hear something is not right with the timing and I cannot prove it. When I render to MIDI item those timing problems disappear. So I presume this has to do something with real-time input/output?

So maybe there's some kind of pathology in REAPER that screws timing of MIDI?

MIDI input FX and MIDI monitoring probably share some kind of code so it's probable this is somehow connected?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #523
TonE

Can megababy be used for setting probabilities for 16 step ranges, no drum programming at all inside megababy, only setting probabilities of incoming notes?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #524
Breeder

Here's a short manual I created for myself while learning Megababy (Nandy's mod which you can get here)

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/35396/Mega...9%20Manual.zip

Last edited by Breeder; 10-15-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #525
Ozman

After adding XLN XO to my drum selection workflow, I really grew a liking to it's sequencer, but it's limited A/B patterns really put me off. So I started back to looking for a drum sequencer. That led me back to Mega Baby. It's been years since I've messed with this one. However, it did not take me long to see what's so special about it. It has so many cool features, sleek, so many patterns and easily switchable. I love this tool!

One request though if possible, something I really liked in XO's sequencer is its swing control. It has a Global Swing slider as well as individual swing options from the 8 pads it has.

Currently, I have no native, non-destructive workflow for using swing on drum midi.
If it would be possible to link mega baby to SWS Groove Tool options instead of a generic swing would be phenomenal! And later, even a step further, allowing single note/pad lanes to have their own toggle-able groove sliders would be Killer, or better yet, Reaper!

Last edited by Ozman; 11-20-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #526
dalim.biswas

Default Megababy and its sampling

Megababy sequencer has excellent function but cockos must add drag n drop sample function to make it more worthwhile and better .It has lots of potential to be the beat drum sampler if they focus more on few things like step sequencer in arrange view and drag n drop function.
dalim.biswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:34 AM   #527
Aikido123

How do I extend the note range of my sequence beyond 32 in Megababy? I'm able to drag the green keys to make fewer but not more.
Aikido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #528
xpander

The note range max. is 32 notes. In Nandy's mod note range can be up to 49 notes.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #529
Aikido123

Thank you Xpander, I was afraid of that.
It's surprising to see such an obvious limitation in a Reaper tool. The 49 note range isn't much better. It wouldn't seem so difficult to extend the range and add a scroll bar to the main sequence window.
I can't use this for drum mapping when the drum kits have hits all over the keyboard range and I don't see how anyone else can either.
Even for instrument sequencing, a range of 32 notes is like a toy piano. I guess it's ok for beeps and boops sounds, but what about a full scale gesture from bottom to top in a string section?
I guess it's back to looking for a 3rd party plugin.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #530
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikido123 View Post
It's surprising to see such an obvious limitation in a Reaper tool...
...<snip>
I think that it is due to some technical/software limitation - arrays in memory within JS language or such...

Quote:
I can't use this for drum mapping when the drum kits have hits all over the keyboard range and I don't see how anyone else can either.
Every row in megababy sequencer has its own note assignment - independent = you can assign notes non-continuously.
So samples spreaded over the full key range is not a problem, unless their total count is not higher than those 32 (resp.49 in modded version)

Hope it helps.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #531
Aikido123

Yes, that does help. Thanks Akademie, I'll check that out.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #532
akademie

Quote:
Yes, that does help. Thanks Akademie, I'll check that out.
you're welcome

To edit the notenumbers: click the note number, hold mouse button and drag it up/down, the same with MIDI channel of the row (the one to the left of the note number), yes rows can have independent notes and MIDI channels.

Tip:
You could also use more than one magababy, e.g. one for main beat dum sounds, second one for percussion rhythm sounds etc. Either patterns of both instances synchronized (so the second switches always according to first) or also independent, so that you can build even more complex rhythms where you can let one pattern of basic groove rolling in first and change patterns of percussion fills in second instance arbitrary...

Well, it's all about posibilities, isn't it?

Last edited by akademie; 04-24-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #533
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Every row in megababy sequencer has its own note assignment - independent = you can assign notes non-continuously.
Good point! I recommend saving a preset with the newly arranged note range, so it's easily available for a later use. Of course saving some patterns made with this arrangement will do the same...

As for the beeps and boops (love that), that's exactly what I use it for usually, as well as drums patterns sometimes. Regular MIDI editor for more intricate stuff. Although, like akademie said, there are possibilities with Megababy too.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #534
Vagelis

Hi and thanks for this amazing sequencer

I have a suggestion regarding chain patterns. It would be great if we could change the row of the chaining patterns , so for example to play 2,3,5,1 instead of 1,2,3,4 etc..
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #535
shakesmyteeth

Default Megababy drum map problem

Can anyone tell me why my drum map will not show in it's entirety in Nandy's Mod version, but will show OK in the standard version ?

I can see that the missing "names" are indented in the standard version.
Could this be something to do with it ?

**********************************SOLVED********** ******************************
I don't think I was using the right coding protocol whilst writing the map & getting angry with the keyboard ! Once I deleted a line and made sure I used "TAB" between note number and note name it works fine.
************************************************** *******************************
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nandy's mod.jpg (56.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg megababy standard.jpg (33.8 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by shakesmyteeth; 05-23-2020 at 07:38 AM.
shakesmyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #536
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakesmyteeth View Post
Can anyone tell me why my drum map will not show in it's entirety in Nandy's Mod version, but will show OK in the standard version ?

I can see that the missing "names" are indented in the standard version.
Could this be something to do with it ?

**********************************SOLVED********** ******************************
I don't think I was using the right coding protocol whilst writing the map & getting angry with the keyboard ! Once I deleted a line and made sure I used "TAB" between note number and note name it works fine.
************************************************** *******************************
Post the drum map file.

EDIT: OK, I replied to your original unedited post. After I sent out the reply your message was refreshed with SOLVED update. Then, all is OK
Old 08-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #537
hits_of_sunshine

I made MIDI item images of 96 patterns.
1 to 96 numeric images in png format.
With a dummy track to hold items like a container, and SWS show/hide tracks action, you can almost use REAPER as pattern sequencer like Orion or FL studio.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/40206/numericImages.zip
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #538
Regisfofo

Thanks a lot for sharing that !

Could you elaborate sws show/hide kind of workflow you've talked about. I don't get it...
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #539
hits_of_sunshine

That's means you can make pattern-selector or stocker thing with a dummy track that has 1-96 items to move / copy to Megababy inserted track. And hide it when you don't need it.
It may not be necessary for everybody. But I like the workflow.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #540
Regisfofo

Ok thanks. Got it now!
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:20 AM   #541
hits_of_sunshine

I want realtime erase function like MPC.
And 'pager' to edit long steps pattern.

So I open the script file, but I have no idea what to do...
Old 10-16-2020, 03:07 AM   #542
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
I want realtime erase function like MPC.
impyC can do this.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:43 AM   #543
hits_of_sunshine

impyC can not.
Because its not officially released.
I searched impyC and it"s totally waste of my time.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #544
TonE

Yes, that is true, technically it can, but as the developer decided it to be removed here again, it seems to be not available anymore. But it might appear in future again or the developer might change his mind again or somebody else might reimplement it.

So technically this is possible and available to few people I guess, those who downloaded it while it was laying around in these forums.

Learned lesson: Get whatever you can get from the forum, you never know when it might disappear again, because of various reasons. This is a good argument for built in functionality I guess, if the Reaper devs will read this in 10 years. Greetings to Tokyo.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #545
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post

I made MIDI item images of 96 patterns.
1 to 96 numeric images in png format.
With a dummy track to hold items like a container, and SWS show/hide tracks action, you can almost use REAPER as pattern sequencer like Orion or FL studio.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/40206/numericImages.zip
If you like patterns you might check hackey trackey as well, which is my favourite. Using tracker style, much more powerful. Swing you can get from SWS Groove templates.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:23 AM   #546
hits_of_sunshine

Thank you for the PM.
I haven't checked Hackey Tracky yet.
It seems a tracker. Is it suitable for realtime recording?
Anyway I'll check it.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #547
TonE

Is there any version of megababy which allows only monophonic lines?
This would be useful for entering monophonic basslines, not drums. If there is already a note on a step, it should be set to the new incoming midi note. Tried here a bit, it seems this functionality is not available yet?

UPDATE: Mouse drag deletion of notes would be also not bad.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #548
Juljan

I am not sure if I am just that stupid but ... is it possible to use scroll up or down to use the rows outside the green area?
Juljan is offline   Reply With Quote