Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Default Linux installer

Please note that REAPER for Linux has gotten an install script and desktop/mime support. It is quite flexible and allows several choices to be made, but to make it easy on the new user I'll make the following recommendations.

Chose I to install, and 1 to install it into /opt. Let it install the desktop support and to create the symlink. This will result in having REAPER installed system wide in /opt/REAPER where an uninstall script will also be created. The desktop support will add reaper to the system's start menu (applications), and mime support so that files will be correctly shown in the file browser. The symlink in /usr/local/bin will allow you to start REAPER from a terminal by typing reaper5.

This can also be achieved directly by running: sudo sh install-reaper.sh --install "/opt" --quiet --integrate-desktop --usr-local-bin-symlink

REAPER's userdata will by default be created in ~/.config/REAPER.

Install your license and optional SWELL theming (reaper-license.rk & libSwell.colortheme) into ~/.config/REAPER. Install SWS and Reapack (reaper_sws64.so reaper_reapack64.so) into ~/.config/REAPER/UserPlugins.

Have fun and please let us know about any eventual issues or thoughts on the installation process.

Note that there is no need to install REAPER and the desktop support, you can safely run REAPER out of whatever directory you unpacked it into.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-18-2018 at 03:40 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
alextone

I've run the script for the full install and can confirm it works here.

UbuntuStudio 18.10 Bionic Beaver.

I'll test the Debian build on the weekend.

Nice job and thanks to all involved.

Alex.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
audiojunkie

What are the best practices for upgrading Reaper versions?

Do we need to uninstall the old version or install over the top of the old version with the new version?

What is the best way (command instructions) for uninstalling cleanly?

Has anyone here tried checkinstall to create custom DEBs?
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
What are the best practices for upgrading Reaper versions?

Do we need to uninstall the old version or install over the top of the old version with the new version?

What is the best way (command instructions) for uninstalling cleanly?

Has anyone here tried checkinstall to create custom DEBs?
You can install over with the new version.

To uninstall you can run the uninstall-reaper.sh that it drops in the installation path...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You can install over with the new version.

To uninstall you can run the uninstall-reaper.sh that it drops in the installation path...
Excellent!! Thank you Justin! So, is Reaper needing to be compiled? What are the general instructions for installing it after downloading and unzipping it?

(I'm a newbie and have never installed Reaper for Linux (although I've got and use the Windows version regularly).

EDIT: I don't know what I was thinking! Jack Winter gave instructions above in this very thread! I completely forgot about that! Duh! I'm dumb!!

By the way Justin, you have the instructions for building/installing the libswell.so in the readme within the installation, but no actual installation instructions within the file. Might it be a good idea to have general installation instructions within the file itself? Then we newbies wouldn't have to search for this thread each time a new version comes out. :-)

Last edited by audiojunkie; 07-23-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Duh! I'm dumb!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Matt Mayfield

Thank you! The MIME types were kind of a hassle before and it's great to see an install script.

Also, on some machines I've been using REAPER as a portable installation, by unpacking the archive then putting an empty file caller "reaper.ini" in the REAPER folder before running the application. (Then you can use git to keep it in sync across machines.)
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
By the way Justin, you have the instructions for building/installing the libswell.so in the readme within the installation, but no actual installation instructions within the file. Might it be a good idea to have general installation instructions within the file itself? Then we newbies wouldn't have to search for this thread each time a new version comes out. :-)
Adding:
Quote:
Installation:

1) You can run REAPER directly from the extracted .tar.xz -- simply navigate to
REAPER/ and run "reaper5".

By default configuration state will be stored in ~/.config/REAPER. If you want
to keep all configuration with the "reaper5" executable, you can create a file
named "reaper.ini" alongside it, which will cause REAPER to use that directory.

2) If you would like to install REAPER to your system (either globally in /opt,
or in ~/opt) and/or integrate with the desktop environment, you can run the
included "install-reaper.sh" script from the terminal. It will offer you
choices on how to proceed. If you choose to install REAPER, the script will
also generate an uninstall script in order to remove it at a later date.

Upgrading old versions of REAPER:

You can always install a new version over the old version, there is no need to
remove the old version first.
Sound good?

Last edited by Justin; 07-25-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Adding:

Sound good?
Sounds great!!! :-)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
sub26nico

I have tested the installer on Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian Stretch,
it works fine. And the desktop integration is welcome,
no needs to make the launcher anymore, thanks for that.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
AudioWonderland

I might be inclined to do Linux/Reaper on my retired DAW hardware. Is there a preferred Distro/desktop for Reaper?
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
Jack Winter

That's a very hard question

You can have a minimal system with just reaper and a window manager, or KDE/GNOME with the kitchensink installed. You can most likely configure any distro to run reasonably well.

I've never used it myself, but from what I understand from other people http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ is probably the best solution to wet your feet with linux. It already set up for low latency audio and has loads of audio programs and plugins thanks to http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

You could install avlinux on an usb stick and boot from that just for testing.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
serr

Anyone care to recommend a Linux distro for someone coming from OSX?

Even more loaded question:
Since Linux is also Unix based... How easy is it to install OSX 3rd party plugins? Or perhaps: Which ones 'just work' (maybe with a small modification)?

I kind of want to just jump in the deep end and have a little shootout between OSX and Linux with Reaper.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
Stringer

Default Installing Jack/Alsa

I managed to install Reaper in Linux Mint 18.3. It looks like it is working, but I am running Pulseaudio and I am having trouble figuring out how to install Jack. (It is a little hard to do a search on "Jack" because the name can mean many things.) I am too new to the command line to be comfortable with all of the stuff that needs to be done, I guess. There is Jack 1 and Jack 2, and they seem to be having a dispute about which one is better. Also, there are numerous packages and addons. It is unclear what is necessary and what is not. It also seems that while it is possible to run Pulseaudio and Jack/Alsa at the same time, there are lots of possible conflicts and it is difficult to set up. I have read lots of messages and watched some truly confusing videos, but so far my conclusion is that I probably should just keep dual booting Win7. Is there an easy way to installing Jack and getting it to work?

Another problem is that I have a Steinberg UR44. I am not sure how to get Linux Mint to recognize it.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Since Linux is also Unix based... How easy is it to install OSX 3rd party plugins? Or perhaps: Which ones 'just work' (maybe with a small modification)?
AFAIK, you can't use OS/X plugins at all.. There is no AU nor OS/X VST support for Linux. But you can use the reaper builtins, and free suites like, http://lsp-plug.in/ & http://www.zamaudio.com/?p=976, or commercial ones like u-he, etc. You can also (with some restrictions) run most/many windows VSTs.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #15
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Anyone care to recommend a Linux distro for someone coming from OSX?

Even more loaded question:

I kind of want to just jump in the deep end and have a little shootout between OSX and Linux with Reaper.
You might put iognulinux in ye-olde search engine,
and check the setup videos. It uses Enlightenment for
the system gui, fast and easy to use, and highly configurable,
and like avlinux, is ready for audio usage without needing
lot's of input from a first-time user.

You can compare the U-he linux and mac ports, probably
the only real head-to-head test, along with PianoteQ

https://u-he.com/products/#synths

There are mac/linux download links for each product
demo, authorized after purchase by adding name/serial #.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 07-27-2018 at 11:28 AM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #16
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I managed to install Reaper in Linux Mint 18.3. It looks like it is working, but I am running Pulseaudio and I am having trouble figuring out how to install Jack. (It is a little hard to do a search on "Jack" because the name can mean many things.) I am too new to the command line to be comfortable with all of the stuff that needs to be done, I guess. There is Jack 1 and Jack 2, and they seem to be having a dispute about which one is better. Also, there are numerous packages and addons. It is unclear what is necessary and what is not. It also seems that while it is possible to run Pulseaudio and Jack/Alsa at the same time, there are lots of possible conflicts and it is difficult to set up. I have read lots of messages and watched some truly confusing videos, but so far my conclusion is that I probably should just keep dual booting Win7. Is there an easy way to installing Jack and getting it to work?

Another problem is that I have a Steinberg UR44. I am not sure how to get Linux Mint to recognize it.
A good tip is to search for jackd. Though there is so much outdated information that it's hard to make heads and tails of it..

Just note, that you don't need JACK you can also use ALSA directly with reaper.

Edit: Just looked at your device documentation, there is a CC mode switch on the back of the device, set that to on to use with Linux. Note that you probably have to switch it off when you boot back into Windows/OS/X

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #17
cyrano

The first question is what interface you'll be using?

PCI stuff works. A lot of Firewire interfaces too, like RME's FF400 & 800. Anything USB that is class compliant should work too.

You could even consider buying an RPi3 for testing, as REAPER runs on Arm now.

Atm, I'm inclined to us AVLinux, as it is Debian based. I was looking at Porteus, but that doesn't boot from a Mac...

Ubuntu Studio seems a good candidate too.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #18
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
A good tip is to search for jackd. Though there is so much outdated information that it's hard to make heads and tails of it..

Just note, that you don't need JACK you can also use ALSA directly with reaper.

Edit: Just looked at your device documentation, there is a CC mode switch on the back of the device, set that to on to use with Linux. Note that you probably have to switch it off when you boot back into Windows/OS/X
I've got it working! ALSA was already installed. Flipping the switch on the back of the UR44 worked too. It doesn't seem to conflict with Pulse Audio. I'm going to miss three plugins: EZdrummer, Midi Guitar, and S-Gear.

Thanks so much!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #19
David Else

Quote:
I've got it working! ALSA was already installed. Flipping the switch on the back of the UR44 worked too. It doesn't seem to conflict with Pulse Audio. I'm going to miss three plugins: EZdrummer, Midi Guitar, and S-Gear.

Thanks so much!
Linux (and Jack Winter) rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the LinVST working plugins compatibility notes:

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst

Quote:
EZDrummer2 (choose Mixer window before quiting if drumkit is playing to avoid possible hang when quiting)
Old 07-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #20
JamesPeters

Quote:
I'm going to miss ... EZdrummer,
Well at least there's DrumGizmo. It has none of the "song creation" feature of EZdrummer but it's capable of doing a lot especially within Reaper.

The drum kits on this site are being made into DrumGizmo kits (by me, I'm almost done):

http://www.tchackpoum.fr/

Using a JS plugin to allow for round-robin functionality (which I found on the Reaper forums), it means very realistic high quality drum kits which work at low CPU cost.

Currently you can use those kits with ReaSamplOmatic5000, but the CPU cost is high.

(edit) I just realized I was talking to you earlier and you had trouble running DrumGizmo. Try it as a native Linux VST plugin from the kxstudio repository. And keep in mind the kits on the DrumGizmo site have WAV files with lots of bleed channels resulting in all the samples being 13-to-16-channel WAV files, so they're not as CPU-efficient as the kits I'm making which use much fewer channels.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #21
Stringer

I installed Drumgizmo from the kxstudio repository, but the same thing happened. It says it is installed, but I can't find it anywhere on the system and hitting "Launch" in the software manager does nothing.

I am afraid I don't have enough Linux chops to figure it out.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #22
JamesPeters

I'll be installing the latest version of Ubuntu Studio (Bionic Beaver) and going from there. Hopefully I won't have any issues.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #23
jiff 41

Quote:
I installed Drumgizmo from the kxstudio repository, but the same thing happened. It says it is installed, but I can't find it anywhere on the system and hitting "Launch" in the software manager does nothing.

I am afraid I don't have enough Linux chops to figure it out.

Hi, From what I remember about Drumgizmo the actual kits are a separate download?,, on the left side of the page look for (Download Drumkits) https://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id=kits & choose your kit.

After you've got them, put them somewhere safe cos you've got to enter the path of the kit in the installer thing?.

Last edited by jiff 41; 12-07-2018 at 11:53 PM.
jiff 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #24
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiff 41 View Post
Hi, From what I remember about Drumgizmo the actual kits are a separate download?,, on the left side of the page look for (Download Drumkits) https://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id=kits & choose your kit.

After you've got them, put them somewhere safe cos you've got to enter the path of the kit in the installer thing?.
Yes, I understand that it needs the kits, but after I install the program, nothing is actually installed. There is totally nothing, so there is nothing to put any paths into. It is the sound of one hand clapping, the nothingness of the abyss.

At one point I tried using "sudo apt-get install drumgizmo" in the terminal following some instructions on a blog site and that resulted in several messages about things being locked and the question "Are you root?" At that point I decided that there was something incompatible in my setup and that I needed to learn more about the command line before I could resolve it. I could figure out how to become root, but I didn't want to do that and issue commands if I didn't really know what I was doing.

Thanks for the help though. It is much appreciated.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #25
JamesPeters

Quote:
At one point I tried using "sudo apt-get install drumgizmo" in the terminal following some instructions on a blog site and that resulted in several messages about things being locked and the question "Are you root?" At that point I decided
...to respond "I am Groot"?

Yeah I think it needs "superuser" to install, or something like that (basically admin privileges). I haven't done this in a while. I'm sure I'll have the same thing happen to me when I install Linux. Anyway just look up what that phrase means and you'll probably get it sorted.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:36 AM   #26
sub26nico

@Stringer : sudo needs to be installed. If it is already installed,
you have to add user to sudo group. What distro ? on Ubuntu/Debian,
as root in a terminal :
Code:
sudo adduser 'youruser' sudo
(replace 'youruser' by the name of the user).
Then deconnect to the session and reconnect.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #27
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
@Stringer : sudo needs to be installed. If it is already installed,
you have to add user to sudo group. What distro ? on Ubuntu/Debian,
as root in a terminal :
Code:
sudo adduser 'youruser' sudo
(replace 'youruser' by the name of the user).
Then deconnect to the session and reconnect.
I am running Linux Mint 18.3. I have used sudo apt get from the terminal for other programs, however. I don't know why it doesn't work for Drumgizmo.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #28
ned

Quote:
I am running Linux Mint 18.3. I have used sudo apt get from the terminal for other programs, however. I don't know why it doesn't work for Drumgizmo.
Is it part of the repository? If so, are dependencies being installed too? Maybe try using synaptic package manager (gui for apt on mint/ubuntu). It may not be as cool as using the terminal, but it's far easier to use for normal desktop users.

Also, not to state the obvious, but adding a non-admin user to the sudo group essentially gives them admin privileges, which can be a security risk (kind of defeats the purpose of having non-admin accounts). Use at your own risk I guess. From the sounds of it though, you're already using an admin account, so you're probably already part of the sudo group.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #29
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Is it part of the repository? If so, are dependencies being installed too? Maybe try using synaptic package manager (gui for apt on mint/ubuntu). It may not be as cool as using the terminal, but it's far easier to use for normal desktop users.

Also, not to state the obvious, but adding a non-admin user to the sudo group essentially gives them admin privileges, which can be a security risk (kind of defeats the purpose of having non-admin accounts). Use at your own risk I guess. From the sounds of it though, you're already using an admin account, so you're probably already part of the sudo group.
Yes, I have an admin account and a non-admin account. I did try installing from the repositories via the software manager and it said it was installed, but hitting "launch" doesn't do anything and the program doesn't appear anywhere that I can find via the menus or with search. It's a mystery.

One of the things about Mint as a distro is that it is very easy to install and use without ever opening a terminal. That is good, in a way, because it is easy to use. It's bad, in that one can use Linux for a long time without ever having to really learn how it really works. I suppose that is true of Windows and OSX too. Anyway, I know just enough about command line stuff to be dangerous to my system.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #30
ned

So the binary isn't in /usr/bin/? If there is a binary for the application you could try launching it from the terminal. The terminal will give some debug info if there are problems (that suggestion just came form another user here to a query of mine in a different thread...thanks again cfillion)

Quote:
Anyway, I know just enough about command line stuff to be dangerous to my system.
Yep, been there, probably still there tbh, but it's relatively easy to get up and running again if you truly mess your system up. #linux #blamed
Old 07-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #31
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
So the binary isn't in /usr/bin/? If there is a binary for the application you could try launching it from the terminal. The terminal will give some debug info if there are problems (that suggestion just came form another user here to a query of mine in a different thread...thanks again cfillion)

Yep, been there, probably still there tbh, but it's relatively easy to get up and running again if you truly mess your system up. #linux #blamed
Yes, it IS in usr/bin!

If I type drumgizmo in the terminal and hit return it says "Missing input engine."
Old 07-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #32
sub26nico

Jack is started ?
Old 07-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #33
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
Jack is started ?
I'm not using Jack, just ALSA. Does Drumgizmo require Jack? Reaper doesn't.

This would explain much.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #34
ned

Quote:
Missing input engine
Not familiar with drumgizmo so not sure what that refers to. Maybe the manpage has info on it. If there is a man page available you can access it in the terminal:
Code:
man drumgizmo
Then you can search the manpage by pressing the forward slash (/) and then your search term ('input engine' in this case) and hit enter. If there are multiple results you can use the 'n' key to jump to the next entry. Scroll the document using arrow keys or the page up/down, home/end keys.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #35
marcoose777

Default AUR packaging blunder

Hi Jack, firstly many thanks for making this great DAW available on linux. I have a question for you, currently Arch linux, and it's subsidiaries, has a reaper package available in the user repos' (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/reaper/#news). The current PKGBUILD as I've pointed out to the maintainer is grabbing the bundle from the wrong location i.e. landoleet.org. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that file repository is a development portal, not for redistribution. The AUR package should be linking to reaper.fm to redistribute in a repository. If I'm correct could you be a good fellow, and give the maintainer a polite nudge in the correct direction.
Many thanks again for the excellent job of reaper for linux, as a beta it's much better than some 'mature' release software I've come across

Ciao
marcoose777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #36
EnkelMagnus

I get an "illegal instruction" on line 396 of the ./install-reaper.sh.

(./install-reaper.sh: rad 396: 8977 Otillåten instruktion (minnesutskrift skapad) $srcpath/reaper)

I run Arch 64 on an old AMD Athlon X2 (is that the issue?).

I ran a previous version before (don't remember which, i compiled LibSwell myself,i remember that) and that one worked just fine.

Any ideas?
EnkelMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #37
Glennbo

Quote:
I'm going to miss three plugins: EZdrummer, Midi Guitar, and S-Gear.

Thanks so much!
I've got EZ-Drummer working in the Linux version of REAPER. I had to use "Airwave" in WINE to host it, but it even authorized through Toontrack's authentication servers. Also got a few other plugs working. Looking forward to the day that there is a native VST/VSTi bridge of some sort in REAPER for Linux.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #38
Garrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I've got EZ-Drummer working in the Linux version of REAPER. I had to use "Airwave" in WINE to host it, but it even authorized through Toontrack's authentication servers. Also got a few other plugs working. Looking forward to the day that there is a native VST/VSTi bridge of some sort in REAPER for Linux.

Same for me with ezidrummer2 except with LinVst.
Authorised through the product manager
Interestingly it doesn't seem to be able to do updates.
No matter, it works great guns
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #39
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Same for me with ezidrummer2 except with LinVst.
Authorised through the product manager
Interestingly it doesn't seem to be able to do updates.
No matter, it works great guns
Are you able to drag-n-drop midi clips with LinVst? That's the one thing I can't do using Airwave, but being a drummer I only use the midi clips as scratch metronome beats until I record the drums, playing them myself.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #40
Garrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Are you able to drag-n-drop midi clips with LinVst? That's the one thing I can't do using Airwave, but being a drummer I only use the midi clips as scratch metronome beats until I record the drums, playing them myself.
Sorry not sure, but will try in the morning, 5pm here
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote