Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Hoof Hearted
Human being with feelings

Default "Clean Project Directory' Poll- Do you use it regularly? Yes or No

I would like to see an honest poll, and find out how many users in here use "Clean Project Directory" on a regular basis.

Also, you can just say you're clueless as to what I'm asking, and that you have no idea where all of you're files are ending up.

Btw, it's ok if you don't know where it is, I myself just found it today- so don't feel too bad about it.

I would also like any who say they haven't been using it to briefly explain how they get rid of their unwanted files- you know, all of those trimmings and unwanted screeches and howls that you couldn't stand to hear, and that you've been cutting and removing from your projects all along? Do you know where all of those are, or have you been going into your folders and deleting them manually along the way? Other methods?

The reason I ask, is so that you might take the time to educate yourselves and others, and you might just prevent some pretty major headaches- like system crashes and crowded hard drives...

Here are a couple of links with some good info to get you started.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=167760
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=167758

Thank you

Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 10-20-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
richie43

I absolutely use it frequently, probably a few times every day. BUT..... I also ALWAYS have projects organized with their own folders for files (no files shared with other projects), and ALWAYS have what I need either glued or saved in a project so I don't delete necessary files...I learned the hard way a few times and lost some very important files.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Aeolian

Nope ... I tend to use "Save As" to a new folder, with "Copy all files to project folder" checked/switched on.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
Jeffsounds

I use it daily.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Nope ... I tend to use "Save As" to a new folder, with "Copy all files to project folder" checked/switched on.
Is that a Reaper or Windows dialogue you're referring to?

Maybe it's because I have an older version 3.75(ok, you can laugh), but I'm not seeing that particular dialogue offering a check box.

What I do see offering check boxes, when I click to the save as menu, are these three options:

"Create Subdirectory for Project"
"Copy all media into project directory, using:"(then it asks for more info)
"Move all media into project directory"

I'm guessing the option you are referring to is number three, or number two if you want to convert files at the same time?

Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 10-20-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Garrick

I used it now and then but only if I have a clear head to make sure every rpp is accounted for.
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
Is that a Reaper or Windows dialogue you're referring to?

Maybe it's because I have an older version 3.75(ok, you can laugh), but I'm not seeing that particular dialogue offering a check box.

What I do see offering check boxes, when I click to the save as menu, are these three options:

"Create Subdirectory for Project"
"Copy all media into project directory, using:"(then it asks for more info)
"Move all media into project directory"
From what I know it's a windows dialog with built in Reaper options (the ones you quoted).
I use the 'clean directory' option.

-Data
Old 10-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Exactly the same here.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
cereboso

Yes on every project.
cereboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
atza

I use it but you have to be careful with such functionalitues no matter what software it is. A safer way to do the same thing is "save project as" and "copy audio files to project folder". This way it doesn't delete anything and you and up with all project files in a new folder. From there on youn manualy delete "old" project folder. Of course whatever method, it is a must that you try to load project and see if it works correctly be fore you delete anything.
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:48 AM   #11
planetnine

I tend to do it manually using the Project Bay for guidance. If they're copies of big files, they're easy to find and remove, if they're small (individually and in total), I often don't care and they can be ignored.

>
Old 10-21-2015, 03:03 AM   #12
RobertP

For me, every project has it's own folder and I do a clean up about every 4 weeks. I 'save as' sessions using file names, eg, 'Misty Take 6' with the 'copy all files to project directory' then manually get rid off all the old version .RPP files and other files that start with 'Take 5, 4, etc, except the current one. I then do the 'Clean Project Directory'.

But, as an added precaution and a bit ocd perhaps, I get rid of them by cutting them to an external drive. There is a setting somewhere to 'delete' stuff to a place of your choice and I use the external drive.

You only have to then open the project to make sure you have no missing files.
I then delete all this later - saved my bacon a few times.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 AM   #13
Joaquins Void

I use it every time I record something. Almost daily that is.
I.e, I record some guitar, listen back, don't like it, delete and try again. Then when I'm where I want to be I clean out the project dir.

(I don't use the takes system much. I find it gets in the way more than it helps.)
Joaquins Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #14
kevadams

All the time. It's a hangover from the days when storage space was far more precious, but also I'm pretty OCD about tidiness. Files intelligently titled, comps glued and superfluous stuff nuked via Clean Project Directory. I very occasionally find I've got rid of something I'd like to revisit, but hey-ho, do it again or forget it.
I'm more careful if I'm doing a project for someone else, but still keep it clean and lean.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #15
Fergler

Every project, if I'm using .wavs, when I do demo stuff I create .ogg files without abandon!
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
From what I know it's a windows dialog with built in Reaper options (the ones you quoted).
I use the 'clean directory' option.

-Data
Use create subdirectory + move or copy when saving a project that has not been saved yet, use clean directory once it has a home. If we use clean project directory before giving it a formal home, the default non-saved media directory in reaper will get completely emptied. If following the method I listed in the other thread(s) that isn't a problem but I prefer to clean that directory out once a year manually. Yes, once a year is all that is required because my super fancy hot shot snazzy method works that good.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-21-2015 at 05:55 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #17
mdmiller

With hard drive space no longer at a premium, I only clean if there were a lot of edits or a bunch of unused takes that were saved. I clean every backup though.
mdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #18
msore

Thanks for bringing up this topic, so I can learn how to use the feature.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #19
xpander

I use the Clean current project directory action regularly. Depending on situation, I might start Reaper without saving the new project first, so something may get recorded into the common Reaper Media folder. But as soon as I get the feel something is worth saving, I save as a new project and continue from there. After that point I could already totally empty the common Reaper Media folder, I will not go back there looking for anything. However, I may just as well leave few odd pieces laying around for a while. I'll just use the Clean project directory next time I start goofing around, or delete with a file manager whenever passing by the common media folder. I don't leave anything worth going back to into there, but I'm not really concerned when and with what that clean up happens.

With the saved projects it may take longer to decide what to keep, sometimes even up to the final mix. But the project folders will not get too cluttered anyway since I try to avoid procrastination at every step. If there are two or three extra takes hanging around on some track, or a few muted/hidden tracks with extra stuff in there, I can manage with that. The rest will get saved elsewhere or cleaned up with the Clean project directory action.

One difference to the common media folder cleaning is that I tend to avoid deleting stuff in project directories with any external file managers. Not even while I have the habit to name my media items as soon as possible and could in theory tell by their names what should be in there. That's because I once managed to mess some file moves and deleted all the keeper media files, wrecking the project.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
One difference to the common media folder cleaning is that I tend to avoid deleting stuff in project directories with any external file managers.
A quick tip I suggest to others is that I create a subfolder in the default media folder named "Trash". During the year I'll move all the files into that folder. What this means that if anytime during that year I happen to open some project and there just happens by some rarity to be a file that project needs that somehow ended up in that folder, Reaper will complain, then I will point it to that Trash folder. Very rare, if ever but for those worried that is an additional protection.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #21
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
A quick tip I suggest to others is that I create a subfolder in the default media folder named "Trash". During the year I'll move all the files into that folder.
Yep, a good tip that is. I have a few specific project folders where some of the odd pieces go but I'm pretty merciless with seemingly unnecessary files. They'll get deleted and the recycle bin might only save a mistake if I notice it right away, since I keep emptying that also regularly. If there are only a few dozen items in the recycle bin, I will go through all of them first. But sometimes it might be hundreds or thousands of items, they will all go. One lost project in 8 years is not a big deal for me and I've changed my habits a bit since, so it works for me.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
Mr. Data

Quote:
Use create subdirectory + move or copy when saving a project that has not been saved yet, use clean directory once it has a home.
Yes, that's how I do it, but I suspect when moving or copying to a dedicated project directory, only the used files are copied, not all of the files. Am I wrong (or maybe even wrong )?

Quote:
If we use clean project directory before giving it a formal home, the default non-saved media directory in reaper will get completely emptied.
And this can be really hazardous!!

Quote:
If following the method I listed in the other thread(s) that isn't a problem but I prefer to clean that directory out once a year manually. Yes, once a year is all that is required because my super fancy hot shot snazzy method works that good.
It must be a reeeeeaaaall!!! big project
I'd like to use super fancy hot shot snazzy methods as well, but I'm too old for rollercoasters.

PS: In fact I'm not, to be honest, but if I ever will be, the centrifugal force will hopefully do its work, so be aware standing alongside a rollercoaster; It might not be delightful! .

-Data
Old 10-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #23
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
Thanks for bringing up this topic, so I can learn how to use the feature.
Thanks for speaking up on behalf of ALL un-knowing noobs. I'm a little disappointed more of them haven't responded with "I have no clue what it is or what it does, Or How I'm getting rid of my files", but then again, you know how those fledgling noobs are- we usually only squawk when we want something, or we've had a crash

Also- we probably usually don't make a habit of hopping into threads, where we're not even sure if what's being discussed should affect our habits or systems - good eye mate

Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 10-24-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Just being clear that I myself am an ignorant noob- meaning no offense to others alike :)
Old 10-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #24
HugoRibeiroDotCom

I use it a lot!
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #25
morgon

I use 'Clean Project Directory' if and when I get to around version #30 of a project usually, or when I backup to disk bc I don't want gigs of bs on the backup -it can make them less reliable when they're at around maxxed out capacity I've found.

So I load the latest version, work on it awhile to refamiliarize with it while trying to recall if there's anything from previous versions I meant to fly in, if not then I'll clean the project directory from that open project [all versions being in the same project folder] making sure the Recycle Bin option is enabled. I don't empty the recycle bin unless its been quite a while since stuff has been sent there, never lost any bs I didn't wanna throw away using this method, before I'd lost stuff to the "crammed backup" method.

Can someone tell me if its possible to salvage files from a corrupt DVD when the issue is most likely that it reached capacity during the save process, it shows as having over 4 gigs of data on it but wont load, theres only 2 projects on there, thanks.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Yes, that's how I do it, but I suspect when moving or copying to a dedicated project directory, only the used files are copied, not all of the files. Am I wrong (or maybe even wrong )?
That's correct. I see the err in my wording.. I meant that once it has a home I use clean project directory moving forward, not just after the move but later after I've been recording and deleting items again etc.

Quote:
And this can be really hazardous!!
The potential is there but my being methodical about the save as + move thing, there theoretically should be nothing there than can't be deleted. In my usage it is nothing more than a temp directory. There could always be the new project I started then closed without saving but I have a subdirectory as a safety net which is the one I clean out ever year'ish. Very low maintenance don't have to think about it much.

Quote:
It must be a reeeeeaaaall!!! big project
LOL. I'm speaking of the default directory there, and those left behind unused wav files that we can safely delete because save as + move only moved the stuff we were using.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #27
PitchSlap

Never used it. I'm kind of afraid too. My projects can easily have 50 revisions and would rather eat the hard drive space than risk something go missing.

Now if they could finally do something about the terrible backups situation...
Old 10-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #28
bazsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Never used it. I'm kind of afraid too. My projects can easily have 50 revisions and would rather eat the hard drive space than risk something go missing.

isnt having that many revisions a little counter productive.

Or are these personal projects where you dont have a limited amount of time, though still spending that amount of time to me can make things works.

being ablet o go back though a fair amount is very usefull
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #29
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I have no issues with the Reaper backups....One of us is missing something.....
Old 10-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #30
vdubreeze

Yup. A few times a day. I generate a lot of new files while editing and rather than have twice the amount of actual files to continually backup I don't keep much redundant audio. For 300 megs it doesn't matter but on a 4 gig project it does. Naturally the original files all still exist should they ever be needed, just not in the Reaper project. The main way to streamline and keep neat is saving as a new project with an amended title in its own folder and I do that at the end of the day. But, yes, count me in the crowd that does it.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:03 AM   #31
Twangothan

Yep, especially after a few sessions doing multiple takes. I crop down to one take that I like, or maybe a few which I leave in the project, then I assume anything not on the screen is garbage and remove the lot. I have loads of spare disk space but I can never findindividual little takes if I haven't named them properly some time after they were tracked so I just clean out the lot.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:35 AM   #32
Remco Z

I use "clean project directory" on a daily basis. Couldn't live without it anymore
Remco Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:50 AM   #33
Arran

I clean the project folder from time to time but I use this (bottom of page): http://jsplugins.supermaailma.net
I can have multiple versions of the project using different files and as long as the .rpp files are all in the same folder I don't have to worry about any accidental deletions.
Windows and Wavs only.
Arran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #34
TechDAWg

Yes, I use it mainly after I've done multiple takes and created the final track or item from those takes. My project folder always contains the audio recordings belonging to it.
TechDAWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #35
alex1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I absolutely use it frequently, probably a few times every day. BUT..... I also ALWAYS have projects organized with their own folders for files (no files shared with other projects), and ALWAYS have what I need either glued or saved in a project so I don't delete necessary files...I learned the hard way a few times and lost some very important files.
This is pretty much what I do.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote