Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default The following effects were in the project file and are not available. effect configur

I updated my Reaper program. Then proceeded to download a plug, which I placed in my plugin folder. I then went to preferences, VST and somehow clicked the wrong thing/things in "Edit" So I open
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Burnsjethro

Sorry I will start again. I updated my Reaper program. Then proceeded to download a plugin, which I placed in my plugins folder. I then went to preferences, VST and somehow clicked the wrong thing/things in "Edit" So I opened the project to which I want to apply the plugin. As it opened I was told The following effects were in the project file and are not available.
One is my mt power drumkit track. It is not working but I see this message: effect configuration is preserved. Melodyne is missing on the vocals and back-up vocals.
I went back to preferences, plugin and added all the folders with plugins I could find.
I have tried to keep all my plugins in one folder but some of them get installed automatically somewhere else. Others are arranged a bit higgledy-piggedly because I had no idea where the plugins were when I started using Reaper. Anyhow, I started by reloading the mt power drumkit fx. This worked but the sound was nothing like the loop with fills I had originally introduced.
I opened another project and the same thing happened: The following effects were in the project file and are not available. Different things were missing but once again the power drum kit was making no sound but "effect configuration is preserved" was there. I tried clicking on fx again but this time the MT drum kit could not be found. I used the Windows search feature and it showed me some wave files and some other audio files with the MT name but did not point to a folder where the MT might be.

I don't dare open any other projects because any midi effects (drums, piano, organ, ...) might get lost.
Does anybody have any ideas please? I have all the zip files with the plugins. Should I reinstall everything? Can I do anything with this " effect configuration is preserved" feature. I think it is the missing Melodyne that is worrying me the most, as I spent a lot of time fine-tuning vocals and backups.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Burnsjethro

I did a search in the forums to see if anyone had had a similar problem.
And looked all over the Internet before finally giving up and come slinking back to Newbieland with my problem!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
karbomusic

Not sure if this helps but...

Assume you have a project with plugin X in use on some track. For some reason that plugin goes missing or gets uninstalled. You open the project at a later time and you'll see the message you quoted in the FX chain about the effect missing but the configuration is preserved.

So you reinstall the plugin, have reaper rescan VSTs and it finds it just fine, however when you return to the project and that track's FX chain, reaper for whatever reason didn't reassign that saved configuration to the plugin and fix things.

What I have successfully done in the past is to select that plugin in the FX chain, CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard, then immediately CTRL+V to paste a copy of it into that same chain, this should force reaper to link it back up to the working VST then you can delete the failed instance.

I've not tested this fully such as confirming the FX params were all properly restored but it did proverbially work and got me out of a tight spot with an old project where I had deleted the VST because I forget I had used it.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Burnsjethro

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Another thing I have just noticed is a lot of my fx have goine missing!
For instance I had a VST and VST3 version of Melodyne but the VST has disappeared?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
Burnsjethro

It gets worse.
A lot of the plugins that used to be in the "instruments" section are now under Developers, and when I click them they do not open and are not added to my fx chain? Oh, this is awful.