Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-15-2020, 06:15 AM   #10481
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrose View Post
Yes... Is there a better way of doing things?
Give this a try.

i) Set the CSI Edit Mode window to "Show Params when FX inserted"
ii) Insert FX on track.
iii) Click in console window and select and copy all text (the param data that has just bee output)
iv) Paste into an empty PLAIN text document.
v) Save into CSI/Zones/ZoneRawFXFiles
vi)Open attached Excel sheet (you'll need to enable macros) and click on the "Open Raw FX" button at the top.
vii) Locate the text file you saved in step (v) and click ok.
viii) You should see a list of FX parameters appear on the LHS and also in pop up lists when you click on a "Rotary" or "Push" cell.
ix)Select from pop up lists to populate Rotary and Push Cells. Notice how the selected parameter disappears from the list.
Note also the parameter name is auto entered in the cell below push. This is probably too long/indecipherable. Click on the cell and type in a better name (this is the alias)- don't double click. An FX menu name alias can be entered in the cell below the 'real' plugin name.
x) When you're done, click the "Create Zone" button. The completed Zone is output to CSI/Zones/ZoneFXFiles. Move the .zon file to your C4 Zone folder to use.
xi) At the moment, only a default acceleration is entered for Rotaries and a simple toggle for Pushes. Anything more elaborate has to be done by manually editing the .zon file as usual.

There's other stuff, but see if you can get this working, I'm on Mac, not sure if it still works on Windows since I tweaked it (it used to)

Last edited by MixMonkey; 11-05-2020 at 09:59 AM.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #10482
kevrose

Received my LED displays for the C4 this afternoon and have just installed them. All my Mackie controllers now have LEDs and they rock!

>>> https://i.imgur.com/NHV3Iir.jpg
kevrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #10483
MixMonkey

Quote:
Received my LED displays for the C4 this afternoon and have just installed them. All my Mackie controllers now have LEDs and they rock!
Great stuff! Was any drilling required?
Old 10-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #10484
kevrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Great stuff! Was any drilling required?
Had to drill out the underside of the standoffs. Drill slipped once but managed to just avoid some pcb traces 😬
Old 10-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #10485
MixMonkey

Quote:
Had to drill out the underside of the standoffs. Drill slipped once but managed to just avoid some pcb traces 😬
Well done! Bit nerve-racking that bit.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #10486
kevrose

Quote:
Give this a try.

ii) Insert FX on track.
iii) Click in console window and select and copy all text (the param data that has just bee output)
vi)Open attached Excel sheet (you'll need to enable macros) and click on the "Open Raw FX" button at the top.
viii) You should see a list of FX parameters appear on the LHS and also in pop up lists when you click on a "Rotary" or "Push" cell.
ix)Select from pop up lists to populate Rotary and Push Cells. Notice how the selected parameter disappears from the list.
Note also the parameter name is auto entered in the cell below push. This is probably too long/indecipherable. Click on the cell and type in a better name (this is the alias)- don't double click. An FX menu name alias can be entered in the cell below the 'real' plugin name.
x) When you're done, click the "Create Zone" button. The completed Zone is output to CSI/Zones/ZoneFXFiles. Move the .zon file to your C4 Zone folder to use.
xi) At the moment, only a default acceleration is entered for Rotaries and a simple toggle for Pushes. Anything more elaborate has to be done by manually editing the .zon file as usual.

There's other stuff, but see if you can get this working, I'm on Mac, not sure if it still works on Windows since I tweaked it (it used to)
I'm on a Mac too, so will give this a go soon. Thanks for all your help with this, it's been invaluable
Old 10-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #10487
MixMonkey

Quote:
I'm on a Mac too, so will give this a go soon. Thanks for all your help with this, it's been invaluable
Ah, good You'll be fine then.

If you've mapped a few plugins the hard way, this should bring a smile to your face
Old 10-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #10488
poetnprophet

Quote:

>>> https://i.imgur.com/NHV3Iir.jpg
wow that all looks great! i have the same gen C4 and the angle of the pic to those, yes that's a nice look. plus, the congruency of the MCU's is really nice, great setup!
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #10489
kevrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
wow that all looks great! i have the same gen C4 and the angle of the pic to those, yes that's a nice look. plus, the congruency of the MCU's is really nice, great setup!
Thanks! It's all coming together now because of CSI and getting the decent displays. Thanks for the Youtube videos, been really helpful; you and MixMonkey have got me this far!
Old 10-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #10490
MixMonkey

@poetnprophet- I've tweaked the C4 configurator to use the new format RawFX file.

At the moment you have to cut'n'paste from the output window, but when the new version comes along it will output a raw file directly.

Could you give it a try on Windows and see if it still works ok?
Old 10-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #10491
MixMonkey

Quote:
Thanks! It's all coming together now because of CSI and getting the decent displays. Thanks for the Youtube videos, been really helpful; you and MixMonkey have got me this far!
Sorry, forgot one important instruction for the Configurator, you need to put your Mac user account name in the "Username" box. It sets up the save and load paths.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #10492
ivan_ef

Hi there
Please advice how to assign two actions like Move items left and Move items right (40119, 40120) to one encoder?
ivan_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #10493
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_ef View Post
Hi there
Please advice how to assign two actions like Move items left and Move items right (40119, 40120) to one encoder?
You would need to change the encoder definition in the .mst file (which obviously would affect all uses of that encoder)

Similar to the JogWheel re-assign:
Code:
Widget JogWheelRotaryCW
	Press b0 3c 01
WidgetEnd

Widget JogWheelRotaryCCW
	Press b0 3c 41
WidgetEnd
The single, original, definition has been split into 2, one for CW, another for CCW.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:47 AM   #10494
ivan_ef

Quote:
You would need to change the encoder definition in the .mst file (which obviously would affect all uses of that encoder)
thanks. I was thinking same way. but it removes advantages of encoder acceleration function and possibility to use this encoder as encoder in different zones. Am I right?
Old 10-16-2020, 01:55 AM   #10495
MixMonkey

Quote:
thanks. I was thinking same way. but it removes advantages of encoder acceleration function and possibility to use this encoder as encoder in different zones. Am I right?
Yes, that’s correct. Maybe use a couple of buttons?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:12 AM   #10496
ivan_ef

Quote:
Yes, that’s correct. Maybe use a couple of buttons?
I would like to map few encoders to move items different ways. I'm using x-touch compact and it doesn't has much buttons but enough encoders.

Could you point me to some manuals for surface and zone comands? cuz info on github is looking outdated.

By the way, I finally figure out how to make it work with almost all feedback functions in HUI-mode.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #10497
poetnprophet

Quote:
@poetnprophet- I've tweaked the C4 configurator to use the new format RawFX file.

At the moment you have to cut'n'paste from the output window, but when the new version comes along it will output a raw file directly.

Could you give it a try on Windows and see if it still works ok?
absolutely! where do I get it?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #10498
kevrose

I've searched this thread but I can't seem to find an answer. I'm mapping the UAD Helios plugin. Most of it is working, but there is one knob which boosts and attenuates (presumably to a negative value?).

I can't turn the encoder below 0. Here's the relevant part:

DisplayUpperC5 FXParamNameDisplay 6 "Bass"
DisplayLowerC5 FXParamValueDisplay 6
RotaryC5 FXParam 6 [ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.10 0.20 0.30 0.40 0.50 0.60 0.70 0.80 0.90 1.0 ]
Toggle+RotaryPushC5 NoAction
/

Any ideas how to solve this?

One more anomaly with this plugin. The following doesn't display any changes on the C4 when I turn the encoder (although they are seen in the plugin GUI):

DisplayUpperC6 FXParamNameDisplay 7 "BsGain"
DisplayLowerC6 FXParamValueDisplay 7
RotaryC6 FXParam 7 [ (0.001,0.005,0.025,0.05,0.1) ]
Toggle+RotaryPushC6 NoAction
/

As ever, any help gratefully received. I'm sure once I know how to do these I can continue ploughing on...
Old 10-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #10499
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
absolutely! where do I get it?
Attached to the post at the top of this page
Old 10-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #10500
siniarch

Quote:
Give this a try.

ii) Insert FX on track.

I just read this kind of quickly, but if I understand it correctly. Does this method output all the plugin parameters so that you can copy and paste them into a text file. Then you open this in excel and it creates your plugin zone file for you? That would be awesome.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #10501
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
I just read this kind of quickly, but if I understand it correctly. Does this method output all the plugin parameters so that you can copy and paste them into a text file.
Yes, but only because CSI doesn't currently output that file itself.

Quote:
Then you open this in excel and it creates your plugin zone file for you? That would be awesome.
You open the text file in the Excel sheet and choose the parameters to assign to pushes and rotaries. When you're done, it exports a completed .zon file. Note: this is for the Mackie C4 only.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #10502
siniarch

Quote:
Yes, but only because CSI doesn't currently output that file itself.

You open the text file in the Excel sheet and choose the parameters to assign to pushes and rotaries. When you're done, it exports a completed .zon file. Note: this is for the Mackie C4 only.
That seems pretty awesome. I wonder if it can be altered to be able to be used for other controllers?
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #10503
ivan_ef

Does CSI outputs continiously only button state feedback? Looks like feedback is sending to faders only at change.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #10504
pwallin

Does anyone working with CSI user manual? I have tried to get my X-Touch working but even some help I always have big things that keep me going back to Klinke-stuff.

Last time I got something fixed using other members mst/zone -files, but now my banking buttons does not work and I can only control first 8 channels. That is just an example of problems I seem to have.

Or does anyone already have a well working mst/zone -files for X-Touch?
Basically all I need is:
1.Transport controls and Markers.
2.Being able to click channel on Reaper so that X-Touch switches banks automatically if necessary to get to a target track (like it does with Reapers default MCU control).
3. Being able to occasionally switch between faders and encoders for adjusting ReaEQ.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #10505
ivan_ef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post

Look for CSI X-Touch Compact.zip at https://stash.reaper.fm

made for MCU mode, but working Pretty good. Values can be remaped but it gives the idea how should it work.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #10506
MixMonkey

Quote:
I've searched this thread but I can't seem to find an answer. I'm mapping the UAD Helios plugin. Most of it is working, but there is one knob which boosts and attenuates (presumably to a negative value?).

I can't turn the encoder below 0. Here's the relevant part:

RotaryC5 FXParam 6 [ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.10 0.20 0.30 0.40 0.50 0.60 0.70 0.80 0.90 1.0 ]
/

Any ideas how to solve this?
I don't have UAD, but try these values instead:

Code:
RotaryC5 FXParam 6 [ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.11 0.22 0.33 0.44 0.55 0.66 0.77 0.88 1.0 ]

Quote:
One more anomaly with this plugin. The following doesn't display any changes on the C4 when I turn the encoder (although they are seen in the plugin GUI):

DisplayUpperC6 FXParamNameDisplay 7 "BsGain"
DisplayLowerC6 FXParamValueDisplay 7
RotaryC6 FXParam 7 [ (0.001,0.005,0.025,0.05,0.1) ]
Toggle+RotaryPushC6 NoAction
/
Are values being returned to CSI from the plugin to be displayed? (tick "Show output to surfaces" in the edit mode window and turn the control on the screen)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #10507
pwallin

Quote:
Look for CSI X-Touch Compact.zip at https://stash.reaper.fm

made for MCU mode, but working Pretty good. Values can be remaped but it gives the idea how should it work.
So Compact files would work with my bigger X-Touch? Ok, I try it.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #10508
MixMonkey

Quote:
Does anyone working with CSI user manual? I have tried to get my X-Touch working but even some help I always have big things that keep me going back to Klinke-stuff.

Last time I got something fixed using other members mst/zone -files, but now my banking buttons does not work and I can only control first 8 channels. That is just an example of problems I seem to have.

Basically all I need is:
1.Transport controls and Markers.
2.Being able to click channel on Reaper so that X-Touch switches banks automatically if necessary to get to a target track (like it does with Reapers default MCU control).
3. Being able to occasionally switch between faders and encoders for adjusting ReaEQ.
Zip up your .mst and .zon files and post them. The files Ivan referenced are derived from my original XTouch files and have no display definitions (no displays on the Compact), so your displays won't work.

If you post your files we can sort out what's going wrong.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #10509
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
That seems pretty awesome. I wonder if it can be altered to be able to be used for other controllers?
Yep, it can, but i'm disinclined to get get into major re-writes until Geoff releases the new CSI version.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #10510
pwallin

Quote:
Zip up your .mst and .zon files and post them. The files Ivan referenced are derived from my original XTouch files and have no display definitions (no displays on the Compact), so your displays won't work.

If you post your files we can sort out what's going wrong.
I try to do it by myself for learning purposes. I managed to get my basic banking work few minutes ago. Oddly it lost connection after that, but works now. I try to get other things work too. If not I ask help again.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #10511
kevrose

Quote:
I don't have UAD, but try these values instead:

Code:
RotaryC5 FXParam 6 [ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.11 0.22 0.33 0.44 0.55 0.66 0.77 0.88 1.0 ]
How do you do it?! That works perfectly! Not sure I understand why your way allows (seemingly) negative values but I'm going to add it to my shortcut list of settings...

Quote:
IAre values being returned to CSI from the plugin to be displayed? (tick "Show output to surfaces" in the edit mode window and turn the control on the screen)
Strange - it all works fine now... I wonder if fixing the C5 parameter above has allowed it to work?

I'm going to strike while the iron is hot - a few (more) queries:

As you're using a very similar setup, how do you map a Select button equivalent for the master channel to control master FX on the C4?

I was reading the Wiki the other night about VCA splil, but is there a theoretical way of using one XT to permanently control VCA volumes, rather than spreading them across the 'whole' surface?

Am I right in thinking the Jog wheel can't Jog/Shuttle? Is that on the agenda?

Thanks again. I'm going to try your Excel spreadsheet out tomorrow. Sounds like it could be a great timesaver
Old 10-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #10512
kevrose

Quote:
No, that's correct. It means that when you push RotaryD to select the FXSlot, the appropriate FX opens in the FXChain window. Note that there's no space before the | after _S&M_SHOWFXCHAIN.

See if you can get the plugin window to open with Reaper "_S&M_TOGLFLOATFX|" I'm not sure if the FXChain window opening is dependent on Reaper prefs being set correctly.
Quote:
I've been through the Plugins settings but I still can't get this to work. Is there something else I should be looking for?
Quote:
Post your XTouch.zon file and we'll see if we can figure it out
Forgot about this. Here you go (it's for C4):
Attached Files
File Type: zip C4.zon.zip (1.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #10513
MixMonkey

Quote:
How do you do it?! That works perfectly! Not sure I understand why your way allows (seemingly) negative values but I'm going to add it to my shortcut list of settings...
Looking at the plugin on the UAD website, that control seems to have 10 discrete steps, which makes (10-1) "gaps" between steps. 1/9 = 0.11, so the steps are: 0.0 0.11 0.22 0.33 0.44 0.55 0.66 0.77 0.88 1.0. Simples There are no "negative" values, they just position "0" somewhere in the middle...

Here's a useful table I made:
Code:
16	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.07 0.13 0.20 0.27 0.33 0.40 0.47 0.53 0.60 0.67 0.73 0.80 0.87 0.93 1.0 ]
15	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.07 0.14 0.21 0.29 0.36 0.43 0.50 0.57 0.64 0.71 0.79 0.86 0.93 1.0 ]
14	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.80 0.15 0.23 0.31 0.38 0.46 0.54 0.62 0.69 0.77 0.85 0.92 1.0 ]
13	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.05 0.13 0.21 0.30 0.38 0.46 0.55 0.63 0.71 0.80 0.88 1.0 ]
12	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.09 0.18 0.27 0.36 0.45 0.55 0.64 0.73 0.82 0.91 1.0 ]
11	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.10 0.20 0.30 0.40 0.50 0.60 0.70 0.80 0.90 1.0 ]
10	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.11 0.22 0.33 0.44 0.55 0.66 0.77 0.88 1.0 ]
9	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.12 0.25 0.37 0.50 0.62 0.75 0.87 1.0 ]
8	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.14 0.29 0.43 0.57 0.71 0.86 1.0 ]
7	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.17 0.33 0.50 0.67 0.83 1.0 ]
6	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.20 0.40 0.60 0.80 1.0 ]
5	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.25 0.50 0.75 1.0 ]
4	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.34 0.67 1.0 ]
3	[ (4,4,3,2,1) 0.0 0.50 1.0 ]
It's worth pointing out that this only works when the plugin manufacturer divides the range into equal steps, that isn't always the case.

Also, try a straightforward encoder implementation first (like you have for the other parameter) and see if that works to your satisfaction before you get into steps, which can be a PITA to get right sometimes.

When the values are wrong the control usually gets "stuck" or behaves weirdly. Steps on pushes are a lot more forgiving (and will cycle round and round, which can be desirable)

Quote:
Strange - it all works fine now... I wonder if fixing the C5 parameter above has allowed it to work?
Maybe. When there are badly defined values or syntax, weird, unpredictable stuff happens.
Quote:
I'm going to strike while the iron is hot - a few (more) queries:

As you're using a very similar setup, how do you map a Select button equivalent for the master channel to control master FX on the C4?
Don't know that one I tend to use the "sub-master" approach. Maybe you could try this in your master track zone. Touching the master fader selects the channel?

Code:
TrackTouch+MasterFader     TrackUniqueSelect
Quote:
I was reading the Wiki the other night about VCA splil, but is there a theoretical way of using one XT to permanently control VCA volumes, rather than spreading them across the 'whole' surface?
I don't think so, Geoff might know though.

Quote:
Am I right in thinking the Jog wheel can't Jog/Shuttle? Is that on the agenda?
It can. You need to re-define the Jogwheel widget in the .mst as a pair of presses, one for CW, the other for CCW:
Code:
Widget JogWheelRotaryCW
	Press b0 3c 01
WidgetEnd

Widget JogWheelRotaryCCW
	Press b0 3c 41
WidgetEnd
Then you can assign the two widgets to whatever navigation Actions you like. I like:
Code:
    JogWheelRotaryCW              Reaper "40647"        //Move cursor right to grid division
    JogWheelRotaryCCW             Reaper "40646"        //Move cursor left to grid division
I have the grid size on the number keys on the keyboard, so it's easy to change how big the jumps are. There are quite a few alternatives though Scrubbing options in the Reaper prefs.
Quote:
Thanks again. I'm going to try your Excel spreadsheet out tomorrow. Sounds like it could be a great timesaver
Let me know how you get on. Any questions, ask away.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 10-16-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #10514
MixMonkey

Quote:
I try to do it by myself for learning purposes. I managed to get my basic banking work few minutes ago. Oddly it lost connection after that, but works now. I try to get other things work too. If not I ask help again.
Good for you! Help is here if you need it.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #10515
MixMonkey

Quote:
Forgot about this. Here you go (it's for C4):
This looks fine to me (it's identical to mine) You've got the SWS extensions installed, yes?

My prefs look like this (not sure this has anything to do with it)
Old 10-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #10516
ivan_ef

Does CSI outputs continiously only button state feedback? Looks like feedback is sending to faders only at change.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #10517
MixMonkey

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #10518
ivan_ef

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
CSI is sending some feedback midi commands to midi controller continuously.

Looks like feedback commands for faders and encoders only sent, when corresponding parameter is changed in reaper.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #10519
MixMonkey

Quote:
CSI is sending some feedback midi commands to midi controller continuously.
During playback or when stopped?

Quote:
Looks like feedback commands for faders and encoders only sent, when corresponding parameter is changed in reaper.
This is correct. You should also see feedback when a control is moved on the surface.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #10520
ivan_ef

Quote:
During playback or when stopped?
When stopped. CSI transmits solo, mute, rec, and track select parameters to surface each second.

Quote:
This is correct. You should also see feedback when a control is moved on the surface.
Yes, but why not to transmit feedback parameters for faders continuously? It helpfull when changing midi layers on surface.

faders will not come to correct position after "track parameter" in reaper was changed, because surface was in other midi layer at this time.
I hope I expained clearly..