Old 10-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Elvisxxl
Human being with feelings

Default Alice (With A Rabbit, Down A Hole)

Just starting out with recording, mixing, mastering etc.... Came back to reaper after trying Studio One. First proper attempt at actually finishing anything!

I'm not a singer but can't find one at the minute with everything that's going on so had to do the vocals myself for now..!

Anyway... Have a listen see what you think.... Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-43592249...-hole-mastered
Elvisxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
asharin

Honestly...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your singing, I wish I could sing half as good Though my voice suits my music I guess, but this song is fantastic, the lyrics, the singing, and the music. Class
asharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Elvisxxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharin View Post
Honestly...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your singing, I wish I could sing half as good Though my voice suits my music I guess, but this song is fantastic, the lyrics, the singing, and the music. Class
Hey thanks my friend! That's great feedback. I had a listen to a few of your tracks and love the arrangements. You've got some great guitar tones and I like the drums too. And yes your voice suits your music perfectly. I'm just not very confident in mine although I am starting to learn how to process it so that it sounds a little better!

Cheers...
Old 10-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
tspring

I will second what asharin wrote. Every aspect of the recording is good. The lyrics are exceptionally catchy. The melody and harmonies are also great. I love the twangy strat guitar sound. You are a bona fide player. I think that your singing is fine, great pitch control, phrasing, expression.

I am not sure why you would wonder about your singing. On the recording, your vocal has unique crispness (not sure that is the right term) to it. Since this is the only thing that I can imagine that you might want to change, i will assume that is what you are thinking of.

It could just be that the crispness is just the way that the recording is eq'ed. But given your level of talent, if you want a slightly different vocal sound, it might be worth your time and money to find a studio that has a big microphone locker and audition a bunch of different mics to see if you get a sound that you like better than what you got on your recording. Personally, I think that it is hard to predict which mic is going to to work well with a specific voice, and price of the mic is not the determinant. My son's study has a fairly good selection of Neumann mics that cost thousands of dollars each, but sometimes, other much cheaper mics end up being the mic that fits the best when the voice being recorded has unique properties.

I really like what you have done here, and will be adding this recording to my play list.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:42 AM   #5
Elvisxxl

Thanks for the feedback tspring!

Due to budget I have very limited equipment options at the minute. I think the biggest problem I have with vocals, apart from a limited range, is my recording environment. At this time it's literally just my living room with no real acoustic treatment. But I'm determined to improve so hopefully something will crop up. My main interest actually is in writing the songs themselves. I've realised that this whole audio recording thing is a very long learning journey and could take years! I have to use midi for the drums and play the guitar and bass parts myself. I'd love to incorporate other midi instruments but that learning journey will have to wait for another time.

Once again thanks for the feedback....
Old 10-30-2020, 05:25 AM   #6
asharin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisxxl View Post
Thanks for the feedback tspring!

Due to budget I have very limited equipment options at the minute. I think the biggest problem I have with vocals, apart from a limited range, is my recording environment. At this time it's literally just my living room with no real acoustic treatment. But I'm determined to improve so hopefully something will crop up. My main interest actually is in writing the songs themselves. I've realised that this whole audio recording thing is a very long learning journey and could take years! I have to use midi for the drums and play the guitar and bass parts myself. I'd love to incorporate other midi instruments but that learning journey will have to wait for another time.

Once again thanks for the feedback....
You can do a lot with limited equipment though, so don't let it hold you back.
My Equipment consists of a PC, a half decent (but cheap) mic, and a midi control;ler keyboard + VSTi/VST's
Old 10-30-2020, 05:51 AM   #7
Elvisxxl

Quote:
You can do a lot with limited equipment though, so don't let it hold you back.
My Equipment consists of a PC, a half decent (but cheap) mic, and a midi control;ler keyboard + VSTi/VST's
That's basically what I have! Admittedly I've got more out of it than I thought I could manage. I run my guitar through a cheap effects processor straight into a focusrite 2i4. I have a Bugera V22 Infinium amplifier and tried to mic it but was impossible as I have 2 kids 3 and 7 and they don't seem to appreciate it when I lock them in the cupboard under the stairs for a few hours

Have tried amp sims and I'm pretty sure I'm not using them correctly because I've heard what other people can get out of them and my sound is no-where near!
Old 10-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
asharin

Quote:
Have tried amp sims and I'm pretty sure I'm not using them correctly because I've heard what other people can get out of them and my sound is no-where near!
Well all my guitars are run through guitar rig 5 (I know...I should upgrade...) and aren't even real guitars, a mix of Ample Sound Metal Apocalypse and Revitar 2 (a free vsti lol)
I think they sound okay, but obviously not a real guitar
Old 10-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
Elvisxxl

Quote:
Well all my guitars are run through guitar rig 5 (I know...I should upgrade...) and aren't even real guitars, a mix of Ample Sound Metal Apocalypse and Revitar 2 (a free vsti lol)
I think they sound okay, but obviously not a real guitar
Haha they sound great. Didn't even realise!
Old 10-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
asharin

Quote:
Haha they sound great. Didn't even realise!
Must be doing it right then Thanks