Old 07-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
Kognizant-Kog
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Seems to Be Crashing Windows

Hi. I tried emailing support to see if this has been reported, but they didn't answer the question and sent me here. It's is a little frustrating, since it seems to be a bug in the software and not something you would go to the community about first. Only a little frustrating, though. This is just more time consuming than a simple email. But anyway:

Like I said, it seems to be a bug, but I'm posting here as maybe changing some of the settings will lead to a workaround. When I run Reaper, it tends to crash my system at random intervals. This is vanilla Reaper, or will be until I start using VSTs (which may be today). I've added no plug-ins yet. This is a fresh install. My system only crashes when I am running Reaper. I would say maybe there is an issue with my interface driver, but it works fine when not using Reaper.

Error ID: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
System: Windows Professional 64-bit
Reaper Version: v5.980/x64

As far as I'm aware, there are no Reaper error logs to show, since my entire system shuts down.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a workaround? Out of curiosity, if you are experiencing the crashing, was it happening before the latest update?

Thanks, everyone.
Kognizant-Kog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Stella645

If Windows is crashing then check for Windows crash logs.....this may help with analysing them.
https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

You need to give more (some!) details about your system hardware, o/s, interface, driver.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Glennbo

If it all just goes <POOF> and suddenly Windows is rebooting, you are likely having a bluescreen in Windows. Microsoft likes to hide the fact that bluescreens happen by defaulting to a reboot before you can see the message on screen about what blew up.

Anyway, if that's the symptom, it is likely a hardware/driver that is getting derailed, and could be the driver model you are using in REAPER. If you are using WDM for instance, try using ASIO in REAPER's audio setup page.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
brainwreck

I agree that it is very likely that the driver for your interface is causing the crashing. What interface are you running?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Kognizant-Kog

Thanks for the quick replies. Stella, thanks. I will check that out.

Glennbo, yeah, I'm getting the blue screen. The error is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I'm using ASIO. Is there another worth trying? I'm not sure of the best driver model is there.

brainwreck, it is certainly possible that Reaper and the interface driver aren't getting along. I use a Scarlett 2i4 (older gen). I will look and see if there is a driver update. I did that a couple of weeks ago, but who knows if they have released another.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kognizant-Kog View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. Stella, thanks. I will check that out.

Glennbo, yeah, I'm getting the blue screen. The error is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I'm using ASIO. Is there another worth trying? I'm not sure of the best driver model is there.
Try selecting the WDM driver in REAPER and see if it still bluescreens. All the hardware and IRQs will still be the same, but using a different driver model will go down a different path for part of the journey. Also, if you haven't done it yet, update to whatever the newest driver from the manufacturer for your audio device because a bluescreen is almost always indicative of a hardware conflict.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Kognizant-Kog

Glennbo, excellent. Thanks! I actually did install the newest driver about an hour ago. Actually, it may be the same driver. I updated it a few weeks ago, and they don't seem to include dates on their site. I will wait to see if it crashes again, and if it does, I will use WDM.

By the way, WhoCrashed is reporting that it was most likely caused by hal.dll (which seems appropriate if you've ever watched 2001). I did some research, and it says that hal.dll will only crash a machine before windows is fully booted. This hasn't been the case for me. Windows has been fully loaded.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
SonicAxiom

to avoid annoying instant Windows reboots without warning and without giving you the opportunity to save anything or close other open programs, go to Windows Control Panel -> System -> advanced tab -> start and restore -> settings -> and uncheck "automatic restart".

Also, open Reaper program prefs -> Plugins -> Compatibility -> set "VST-bridging" to "in dedicated process per-plugin". Only the faulty plugin instance will crash without crashing the entire Reaper session.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:53 AM   #9
Stella645

Connect the 2i4 to a USB2 port only. USB3 backwards compatibility is questionable with some audio devices.
People have also had some success putting a USB2 hub between USB3 port and interface if you have no USB2 ports.

If you don't use any built in audio disable your realtek or whatever.

And disable USB selective suspend.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote