Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
acintya
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper drag&drop not working anymore?

Why I cant anymore:

1. drag and drop a audio file from explorer in reaper? before i could load any file from desktop or anywhere on the hard disk into Reaper project.

2. I also could drag and drop straight from windows explorer to kontakt (wav files) and everything else.

3. from explorer to sampleomatic........

whats wrong? i dont know which version I had but it does not work anymore. Any hints/help?
acintya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Dstruct

Still working fine here (5.15pre14).

EDIT: Make sure you don't run REAPER as Administrator, see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172018

Last edited by Dstruct; 02-08-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
acintya

yeah that is it.. figured out before.. thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
nofish

I had this (d'n'd from desktop to Reaper not working) when I had running Reaper as admin.

Could this be it on your side ?

edit.
Beaten.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Dstruct

Using Total Commander (in Admin mode) instead of Windows Explorer gives working drag'n'drop with REAPER (in Admin mode). Obviously Windows Explorer can't be set to Admin mode!?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Fabian

Apparently there is some issue with drag'n drop in Windows 10, lots of people are complaining. There is a fix suggested here http://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...tml#post324681 so if you have W10 and experience that d'n'd doesn't work in Reaper (or elsewhere) then this may solve your problem.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
acintya

I though I solved all problems when i decided to not run Reaper in admin mode but now I get other problems, lets say:

(in windows 10, when reaper not running in Admin mode)

if I run in admin mode, Sampletank works with no problems. When Reaper is not in Admin mode, sampletalk will not load my libraries.

but then I have no drag&drop.

also I had problems with Diva.

weird windows 10 --- I was on 7 for a long time, but I bought a new computer and I though - why not try windows 10. It is really beautiful and fast but still has some bugs.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
ivansc

I had exactly the same issues with Sampletank2.5 and the free version of 3. I have just reinstalled 3 and am now wishing I hadn't, if it STILL gives the same damn issues.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
acintya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I had exactly the same issues with Sampletank2.5 and the free version of 3. I have just reinstalled 3 and am now wishing I hadn't, if it STILL gives the same damn issues.
When I run it in Admin mode, everything works. Also Diva.

When I want to d&d from Maschine to Reaper both must run in admin mode but then drag and drop is not function anymore.

@Fabian - thanks, but, my registry values are not the same as this guy described. I have this folder but its not the same data.

here you go guys -- this is why obviously Reaper needs to run in Admin mode (because some plugins write data - and they need those privilegies I guess):

I found this on the Internet:

1.Kill Explorer shell by holding down Shift+Ctrl, right-clicking the Shut down button in the Start Menu, and selecting Exit Explorer
2.Start Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc
3.Elevate Task Manager privileges by going to Processes tab and selecting Show processes from all users
4. Then start up a new instance of the shell by File | Run in Task Manager, typing in explorer, and selecting the Create this task with administrative privileges.

UAC blocks it on startup, hope this helps.

Still - it does not work for me - tryed it. and if it would work I guess that UAC would block it everytime I would restart my PC.

LOL .... microshit again.

Last edited by acintya; 02-09-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkonis View Post
LOL .... microshit again.
Actually I'd think it's rather IK Multimedia's requirement to run DAW in admin mode that's to blame here.

Because this seems to create other problems as well, long thread at KVR

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...p?f=6&t=322874
Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
acintya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Actually I'd think it's rather IK Multimedia's requirement to run DAW in admin mode that's to blame here.

Because this seems to create other problems as well, long thread at KVR

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...p?f=6&t=322874
YEs, but some other vst also cause problems. its not IK-s fault that windows changed their protection system - in windows 7 everything works fine.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
nofish

Well, I'm on Win 8 and that 'run as admin' requirement also annoys me there because exactly of loosing the d'n'd functionality from explorer to Reaper.

But anyways, doesn't solve your issue and as I unfortunately have no solution to offer I'll now stay out of this thread and just watch with interest how it goes.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #13
acintya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Well, I'm on Win 8 and that 'run as admin' requirement also annoys me there because exactly of loosing the d'n'd functionality from explorer to Reaper.

But anyways, doesn't solve your issue and as I unfortunately have no solution to offer I'll now stay out of this thread and just watch with interest how it goes.
Yeah, but if you use a lot of D&D bad things can happen to you. I used to drag and drop a lot of files from different directories on my hard disk-s and two weeks ago I got a trojan/virus which deleted all of my files.
What I meant to say - if you dont do regular backup of projects, you can lose a lot of data if you drag files with d&d from various places like I did. And I lost some data, because I didnt copy all file to project folder. Yes you can restore some files with Recuva and similar programs but it will be a mess.

At least I learned something from this:

1. I will have only one folder for drag&droping.
Why? Because a lot of vst plugins now support d&d from file explorer but when the system collapses they will not recall any data unless the data is in the exact same folder like it was before.

so lets say you use SugarBytes Egoist and you d&d a file from d:\audiosamples\idk.wav thats ok, but i dropped a lot of files around the computer and if you somehow lose files/directories thes plugins dont even show where the file was located so........ recovering projects could take a lot of time. I already lost some data.

2. I will always render files no mather how powerful computer I will have and save all renders in the projects folders. Except the stems from VST-s which would take a lot of disk space. And of course copy all d&d to project folder. I am mad at myself because I was such a fool to not do this before.

3. Never think your computer is invincible
Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Dstruct

Why not using REAPER's Media Explorer for Drag'n'Drop? Or Total Commander in Admin mode (much better than Windows Eplorer anyway).
Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
ivansc

Interesting. I just updated all my IKMM stuff to the most recent version and finally have Sampletank 3 free working reliably NOT in admin mode.
Maybe they finally sorted some stuff out!
Now I have to decide if the included sounds with 3 free justify keeping it on my hard drive....
Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
acintya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Interesting. I just updated all my IKMM stuff to the most recent version and finally have Sampletank 3 free working reliably NOT in admin mode.
Maybe they finally sorted some stuff out!
Now I have to decide if the included sounds with 3 free justify keeping it on my hard drive....
I hope it`s fast like Sampletank 2.x..

I will just stick with running every program in admin mode + use Windows Commander because they will never update Sampletank 2 I guess.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #17
acintya

I found another problem that is really annoying. When opening reaper projects files from Explorer or any other browsing program reaper will not start in ADMIN mode no mather if you have run in admin mode compatibility ON or OFF.

So the only option is to open projects from reaper program. Which I am not used too.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #18
Dstruct

Find reaper.exe in Explorer, rightlick and set the "run as admin" directly for the executable (not just to the shortcut).
Old 02-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #19
acintya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Find reaper.exe in Explorer, rightlick and set the "run as admin" directly for the executable (not just to the shortcut).
I have done this. For both tge 32bit and 64bit verson. IT does not mather it does not work.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #20
Dstruct

Ok, confirmed. I guess this needs a registry hack ...

Or give this one a try: http://ghisler.com
Old 03-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #21
andivax

disable UAC
Old 07-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #22
DeBased

Well as usual there can be different causes for the same problem.

Mine was a weird one - one instance of Reaper hadn't closed down properly (even though it was no longer visible) and I tried to drag'n'drop in a (it turns out) 2nd instance - the one in limbo must have reserved the DnD target, so it didn't work in the visible instance.

Terminating the rogue instance fixed it.
DeBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #23
rncwalker

I do not have any of these problems, maybe it's because I am the administrator.

Go to your profile and change from user to administrator.

I also disabled UAC

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #24
MaXyM

Never instal programs onto a system partition
Never instal programs to program files directory
Apply both for vst/vsti plugins

And you will never experience UAC related issues
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:08 AM   #25
ivansc

Interesting. I had dumped everything IKMM but TRacks and Amplitube 4, both of whuch started ignoring me recently.
After the usual absurd kerfuffle with passwwords & accounts I now have them running again but despite the money I have spent with them over the years I am now within a hairsbreadth of junking the lot.
WHY THE HECK WONT THEY JUST fix ALL THE ISSUES THEIR STUFF HAS, RATHER THAN TELLING US TO RUN OUR SYSTEMS IN A NON-STANDARD CONGIG, JUST FOR THEM?