Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default (ME and Arrange): How do you all handle this annoying thing ?

I wish there would be some way that when going in Play in Arrange, Media Explorer Preview will stop automatically.

Lemme explain:
I often preview long files in Media Explorer.
While the preview is ongoing, then giving focus to Arrange window and hit Play, the ME preview doesn't stop and i hear a mess, which i'd rather not want.

Having to stop ME Preview first before doing Play in Arrange, so i don't hear the 2 togeher (aka: The Mess): rather cumbersome.

Any thoughts ? Solutions ? Workarounds ?
Old 12-09-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
solger

One workaround you can try is stopping the preview via script.

Try, for instance, this .LUA script and add it to the [Main Section] of the Action List:
Quote:
me = reaper.JS_Window_Find("Media Explorer", true)
reaper.JS_WindowMessage_Send(me, "WM_COMMAND", 1009, 0, 0, 0) -- [Media Explorer] - Preview: Stop
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40044, 0) -- [Main] - Transport: Play/stop
The JS_ functions are part of the js_ReaScriptAPI (available via ReaPack).

----------------

Haven't tried it yet, but I guess it's also possible to just keep this part in a script:
Quote:
reaper.JS_WindowMessage_Send(me, "WM_COMMAND", 1009, 0, 0, 0) -- [Media Explorer] - Preview: Stop
And then using this script as part of a Custom Action.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:27 AM   #3
vanhaze

Fantastic !

The first script doesn't work: it breaks Play/Stop Action in Arrange.
But the second (shorter) script works.

Thank you solger, i am very happy !
Old 12-09-2019, 03:31 AM   #4
solger

Great
Old 12-09-2019, 04:09 AM   #5
Joe90

This is awesome Solger - thank you!

While you're out here solving magic media explorer issues - any chance you could take a look at either of these? -

Stop the list selection from resetting when clicking in blank space in the media explorer? I'm constantly clicking back and forth and losing my place in a long list if I click in the wrong spot. I know I can spot the last selected items name at the bottom of the preview window, but often it's too long and I'll need to stretch the media explorer right out (I have it docked to the right). It's just a pain when it's happening every five minutes.

When double clicking to insert item(s) on a new track, place the new track directly below the currently selected, rather than the always at the bottom of the project - it's a pain in big projects (I'm guessing this is deceptively complicated though, as I'm yet to even find a script for 'move selected track directly below last selected track', I suppose folder hierarchy makes things tricky).

I'm guessing neither of these are particularly simple, but I figured there's no harm in asking. I wouldn't have assumed the vanhaze's request was easily solvable, but you smashed it out in two lines of code
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:45 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Stop the list selection from resetting when clicking in blank space in the media explorer? I'm constantly clicking back and forth and losing my place in a long list if I click in the wrong spot. I know I can spot the last selected items name at the bottom of the preview window, but often it's too long and I'll need to stretch the media explorer right out (I have it docked to the right). It's just a pain when it's happening every five minutes.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's an option/workaround to prevent that behavior.
Quote:
When double clicking to insert item(s) on a new track, place the new track directly below the currently selected, rather than the always at the bottom of the project - it's a pain in big projects (I'm guessing this is deceptively complicated though, as I'm yet to even find a script for 'move selected track directly below last selected track', I suppose folder hierarchy makes things tricky).

One possible workaround to try is something like this LUA script (which inserts a new track under the selected one and inserts the selected media from the Media Explorer there):
Quote:
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40001, 0) -- [Main] - Track: Insert new track

reaper.JS_WindowMessage_Send(me, "WM_COMMAND", 40063, 0, 0, 0) -- [Media Explorer] - Options: Insert media on selected track
reaper.JS_WindowMessage_Send(me, "WM_COMMAND", 1013, 0, 0, 0) -- [Media Explorer] - Browser: Browse selected folder, or insert selected media file
The third code line can be omitted if the Default Action option in the Media Explorer is already set to Insert media on selected tracks:
Quote:

reaper.JS_WindowMessage_Send(me, "WM_COMMAND", 1013, 0, 0, 0) -- [Media Explorer] - Browser: Browse selected folder, or insert selected media file
---------------

Since there are no Mouse Modifiers available for the Media Explorer, intercepting mouse click behaviors can be quite difficult to do without breaking something else (assuming it might be possible somehow) since such things usually require having a 'listener' script constantly running in the background. Not sure though if this might perhaps also be possible with the js_ReaScriptAPI (haven't tried it yet).

Last edited by solger; 12-09-2019 at 05:45 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
Joe90

Thanks Solger! Unfortunately it doesn't create multiple tracks when importing multiple items - any way around that?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Unfortunately it doesn't create multiple tracks when importing multiple items - any way around that?
Here's an adapted version which you can try:
Code:
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

reaper.JS_WindowMessage_Send(me, "WM_COMMAND", 40063, 0, 0, 0) -- [Media Explorer] - Options: Insert media on selected track

reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS2c668396a00b01e9007a830c381539faf677cac5"), 0) -- mordi_Move selected items to new individual tracks.lua
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40005, 0) -- [Main] - Track: Remove tracks

reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Insert selected media files onto separate tracks", 1)
Additional notes:
  • The Move selected items to new individual tracks script by Mordi is available via ReaPack.
  • The script might have a different Action ID (than '_RS2c668396a00b01e9007a830c381539faf677cac5') in your Action List. So you'll problably have to change the ID part in the script accordingly.
  • The current (quickly assembled) script version most likely needs some additional code lines for re-setting the edit cursor position afterwards

Last edited by solger; 12-09-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added undo block to code
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger
The current (quickly assembled) script version most likely needs some additional code lines for re-setting the edit cursor position afterwards
Here's a slightly improved version which stores and recalls the edit cursor position:

Code:
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_XENAKIOS_DOSTORECURPOS"), 0) -- Xenakios/SWS: Store edit cursor position

reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS2c668396a00b01e9007a830c381539faf677cac5"), 0) -- mordi_Move selected items to new individual tracks.lua
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40005, 0) -- [Main] - Track: Remove tracks
reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_XENAKIOS_DORECALLCURPOS"), 0) -- Xenakios/SWS: Recall edit cursor position

reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Insert selected media files onto separate tracks", 1)
Old 12-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Joe90

Solger - Amazing! Thank you. Do you have a means of receiving donations?

One last question and then I'll leave you alone I promise - do you know if there's a quick tweak I can make to the mordi script so that it doesn't prompt me each time I import multiple items? It doesn't make much difference if it's vertical or sequential to me (although I'd generally choose vertical if given the option). I'd mainly prefer it to just act without prompting - I suspect this might be a simple as just removing a few lines of the code, so I thought I'd ask and see.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
solger

Quote:
do you know if there's a quick tweak I can make to the mordi script so that it doesn't prompt me each time I import multiple items? It doesn't make much difference if it's vertical or sequential to me (although I'd generally choose vertical if given the option). I'd mainly prefer it to just act without prompting - I suspect this might be a simple as just removing a few lines of the code, so I thought I'd ask and see.
A quick option for always doing a vertical arrangement automatically is to change line 59
Code:
should_line_up = reaper.ShowMessageBox("Do you want the items to line up vertically?", SCRIPT_TITLE, 3)
to
Code:
should_line_up = 6
-------------------

Another option is to remove lines 59-64 completely:
Code:
should_line_up = reaper.ShowMessageBox("Do you want the items to line up vertically?", SCRIPT_TITLE, 3)

-- Check if "cancel" was pressed
if should_line_up == 2 then
  return
end
And then changing lines 87-90 from this:
Code:
-- Move item to first item's position
  if should_line_up == 6 then
    reaper.SetMediaItemPosition(sel[i].item, sel[1].pos, false)
  end
to this:
Code:
  -- Move item to first item's position
  reaper.SetMediaItemPosition(sel[i].item, sel[1].pos, false)
Old 12-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
solger

Quote:
Amazing! Thank you.
Sure, no problem. That's what the Reaper forum is here for

Quote:
Do you have a means of receiving donations?
No, currently not.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
Joe90

That did the trick. Thanks again solger.