Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-26-2021, 10:49 PM   #41
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

I am proud to/regret to say that I placed an order for one of these yesterday. We'll see. Maybe, if I even get one. These seem to be the hot shit guitar of the moment, already out of stock at the major retailers and listing on Rebay etc. for stupid markups.

I dunno, I just couldn't ignore it. I do loove my Comanche, but the G&L is a monster, which is what I love about it, buuuut... The pups are too hot, the tonal variation is too wide, there's too much "midrange complexity" IMO (the LP/humbucker rallying point, but those Z-Coils freaking grind in the mids, it seriously needs a parametric EQ for mids to control all that, it would be amazeballs, or even just active rather than passive bass and treble.). It maybe makes every tone there is, by the time you go through every pickup combo and setting, including tones I never want to hear again. Where the Epi seems much more refined. Like, rather than every tone there is, every tone you might want to use. (I admit it, I liked the split coil tones in the demo. Plus that piezo! Instant Boston "acoustic" doubling live.) Like a 700 HP Challenger vs. a 500 HP Cadillac. Or maybe a F1 McLaren vs. an SLR.

Aaanyway. We'll see. I might have to learn how to use a Floyd properly.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:40 AM   #42
Judders

Sweet! Let us know how you like it.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:19 AM   #43
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Sweet! Let us know how you like it.
Thanks! However...

I think there's a pretty good chance I'll never get one, they obviously don't want to make these forever, too much of a game-changer plus the $300 trem has to be f'ing their profit margins, so did I get in under the line? We'll see... however I do solemnly swear that if I don't get this one, I'll never buy a Gibson/Epi again. New. Unless I change my mind. But I'm kinda a stubborn SOB...

And clearly I picked the wrong Epi...

GhostHorse!!!! Look, Skwisgaar Skwigelf himself is handing it to you! Dare you accept the prophecy???
Old 11-07-2021, 07:58 PM   #44
fred garvin

Well whaddya know, got it yesterday. Wow. It's really really nice. Exactly what I was hoping for really, a more versatile refined axe than my G&L. Finish, fit, and quality seem to be outstanding. Came out of the box reasonably set up and in tune. I mean, yah ok I'm sure a Custom Shop guitar is noticably nicer but it's pretty, shiny, smooth, and plays nice. The design and upgrades are spot on. The heel cut is a revelation, with the short scale and bound neck it's now the easiest playing guitar I have. The electronics are fantastic. Coil splitting works great and remains quiet. The piezo works great. Haven't done any fancy dual amping or whatnot, but running it into the main out is very useful, it's like a knob for extra attack and clarity. There's been discussion about why having the piezo live is the default, no mystery to me, it sounds great and I think I'll use it more than not. The one thing I wish it had is a master volume, three volumes makes it hard to control the output the way I like. Outstanding value, comes with a nice case and the piezo/whammy unit is 250$ just by itself.

So yah, nice axe, very happy with it. If you get the chance go for it.

Weird. Won't let me post an inline image. Click the link if you want to see a pic in the case it comes with. There's an inline link right below the offsite link, let me know if you can see it.

https://ibb.co/S022VtF

Last edited by fred garvin; 11-07-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:31 AM   #45
Boogieshoes

Pleased you got it as it clearly hit your GAS pedal Fred.

It does look nice. At my age though I have to resist temptation as I am no good at selling something later and am paying the price.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote