Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
Miscreant
Human being with feelings

Default Routing challenge: FX Loop via SPDIF to an AxeFX?

Hi everyone,

I posted this q in a thread over at the Fractal forum, but haven't gotten many bites and I'm wondering if someone over in this neck of the woods might be able to help me out.

Here's what I want to do:

1. Bass guitar > Axe FX (via rear input)
2. Axe FX > Comp Block (via grid)
--FX Loop Send--
3. Comp block > DAW track 1 via SPDIF (for monitoring an insert effect)
4. DAW track > Axe FX (via SPDIF)
--FX Loop Return--
5. Axe FX > Effects Blocks (verb, delay, chorus, etc.)
6. Effects Blocks > Output Block
7. Output Block > DAW track 1 via balanced Output 1
8. DAW track > Master Out

So basically I want to compress my bass in the Axe, send it via SPDIF to a track on my DAW to distort it, send it back via SPDIF to the Axe for some love, and then back via analog out to the same track in the DAW and out to my monitors.

Now, I know in the Axe I can use the analog Output 2 as an FX send/return. But I am hoping I can stick with SPDIF, as I already use it to record dry copies of all my tracks.

A poster over at the Fractal forum suggested I use a plugin like ReaInsert to insert the Axe as an effect in the FX chain.

But I'm not sure that works: if I put the Axe as an insert on a track, then I need to specify that insert's I/O. Assume it's SPDIF. If so, then there still remains a question about the track's input channel. If it's the analog out from the Axe, then whatever is in the Axe's grid will feed into the insert, making the insert redundant. If it's the SPDIF out from the Axe, then unless the Axe's grid has an effects loop that runs via SPDIF (rather than the analog FX send/return, which I believe is the only way the Axe lets you run an FX loop), I would be in a situation where I'm using SPDIF both as an input and as the I/O for the effects insert on the track, which I think is just not possible?

So, in short, I think the only way to do this is to create an FX loop where I input into the Axe, it feeds Reaper, it goes back into the Axe, and back to Reaper.

If any routing ninjas can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
sonicowl

Not familiar with Axe, but if you can use fx loop with it, then it will work

Input bass into axe, take signal from axe fx send and feed it into Reaper track as live input.
Then insert your daw fx and after them insert ReaInsert on that track, and send signal out of ReaInsert to axe loop return.
Then take axe output and send it back to ReaInsert return.
Set track record mode to OUTPUT, to record output of ReaInsert to track.

Should work fine.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
Not familiar with Axe, but if you can use fx loop with it, then it will work

Input bass into axe, take signal from axe fx send and feed it into Reaper track as live input.
Then insert your daw fx and after them insert ReaInsert on that track, and send signal out of ReaInsert to axe loop return.
Then take axe output and send it back to ReaInsert return.
Set track record mode to OUTPUT, to record output of ReaInsert to track.

Should work fine.
If I'm following, not sure that will work. For one, Axe's FX loop runs via analog outs, not SPDIF. So it seems that this would be possible only if use my FX send/return on my Axe, plug it into the Fireface, and then in my Axe patch put a FX loop between the compressor and the time-based effects.

In other words, your method works only if I do not use SPDIF?
Old 05-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
sonicowl

As I said, I'm not familiar with Axe. But yes, usually with guitar amps and processors fx loop is unbalanced analog, because you connect analog fx and pedals in there. Spdif is usually just output, so you can use spdif to return back to ReaInsert and record it.
Again, don't know specifics of axe inputs/outputs, you will have to figure out the details. It is helpful to draw your signal path on a piece of paper to visualize it.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
As I said, I'm not familiar with Axe. But yes, usually with guitar amps and processors fx loop is unbalanced analog, because you connect analog fx and pedals in there. Spdif is usually just output, so you can use spdif to return back to ReaInsert and record it.
Again, don't know specifics of axe inputs/outputs, you will have to figure out the details. It is helpful to draw your signal path on a piece of paper to visualize it.
Yep, I hear you. Thanks. I knew that I could 1) use the Fireface as my bass input; 2) create an analog FX loop between the Axe and the Fireface; and then 3) route things accordingly in my DAW.

But I was hoping I could do this all in SPDIF--the Axe allows you to use SPDIF as both a send and a return for reamping. So I was hoping I could co-opt this functionality into an FX loop.

Don't think I can though, since in the Axe the FX loop in the grid is assignable only via the analog Out 2.