Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
ChristopherT
Human being with feelings

Default GROUPING : splits / edits & drawing automation PLEASE :)

# Everything (including splitting) we do on one of any grouped tracks should happen on all of the grouped tracks. #

I've been on Reaper for 18 months full time now, everything is absolutely amazing - except there is one BIG omission in Reaper : Track Grouping.

I'm working on a project with around 500+ tracks, and adjusting volume automation on multiple tracks is so convoluted that I have had to split and adjust volume of the audio files to get around the lack of volume automation track grouping, and get my work done in time, and then do crossfades to cover the edits

I checked out Kenny's recent vid on grouping automation envelopes hoping there was something I was missing - and could not believe the work around that he is doing to achieve what should be so simple.

He has to make automation items on all of the tracks to get around this - and it is just SO slow, cumbersome and not a workflow option for me.
I would never use this method as a work around for not having grouping.

Automation items are great, - but not as a workaround for not having fully featured track grouping.

We cannot draw automation on a track and have it affect the group.
This is a MASSIVE shortcoming !!

I spent 20 years mixing on ProTools, where I can select 50 tracks spread all over the track list, select group and tick : volume automation, or plugin parameters, (and all the rest) draw the automation and it happens to all tracks grouped
The workflow is seriously incomparable, and the time difference is HUGE

In PT I have a group of tracks, draw automation on one tracks volume and instantly all the grouped tracks have been adjusted.

I can split one audio file - and all of the grouped tracks split.

I can fade one item - and all grouped items get a fade.

I can group 100 different tracks that have EQ on them, select plug in automation from the grouping, and automate (draw) one track and instantly all the grouped tracks are automated.
Instant / extremely fast.
Did I mention this an extremely fast workflow?

After 18 months I am realizing that I have wasted a MASSIVE amount of time working around these few track grouping shortcomings.
Item grouping does not solve these problems. (but has it's place)

To attempt my next project like this I will move to Protools (or any of the others) and do all of my volume and plug in automation (mixing) and VERY sadly bypass Reaper.
Yep - it is that bad a workflow I would never consider mixing a large project on Reaper again.
So from now on - create on Reaper / mix on ProTools.
(and I thought I would never mix on PooTools again)

I'm here BEGGING the Cockos crew to get grouping to work on splitting items, fading items, plug in automation, and volume automation.

If I only get one Reaper wish in my life.....

Last edited by ChristopherT; 05-26-2019 at 06:03 PM.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
vdubreeze

This gets brought up fairly regularly. I'm with you. No idea why I'd be happy being able to link the panning of grouped items in reverse and not be able to have grouped tracks function in the way you describe. When I need it I need it, which is more or less at regular intervals in every project.

Most don't seem to agree. I think it's the mere mention of the P program

Maybe a better way to achieve it has been arrived at since the last thread.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
ChristopherT

This basic grouping feature was on ProTools 5 when I first started using it (as the industry pretty much demanded at the time of all pro studios)

A quick search on PT5 tells me:
Initial release‎: ‎January 20, 1989; 30 years ago !!!

So it continually gets asked for...

This keeps coming up for me everyday, every week, every month.
So much lost time and face palming.

I put up with it because I LOVE Reaper, but when I am editing, pre mixing, and final mixing (doing serious automation across multiple tracks):
It becomes amateur hour.
I have to do all of these work arounds/hacks to do a 2 second task.

I'll bet Logic and Cubase allow track grouping for drawing any automation, CC's and editing.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote