Old 02-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
EMK
Human being with feelings

Default Show EQ curves as in Pro Tools

Is it possible to show EQ curves in the mixer as in Pro Tools and Studio One? Like in the attachment or this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecT6GhhesZA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EQ-Curves-In-Pro-Tools-2018.jpg (59.0 KB, 94 views)
EMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
hopi

don't know of any way to do that currently... it would be a nice feature so you could put it in the FR [feature request] forum but I'd not expect it to be added anytime soon
Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
clepsydrae

There was a recent pre-release that demo'd mini versions of JSFX plugins being shown in the track list (not sure about the mixer though). I don't have a link, but I've been hoping for that to come in an update soon (maybe v6?).

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212412

(scroll through the thread for pics, e.g. here)

I personally never use the mixer, but I could see folks hoping this feature would be implemented there as well.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
EpicSounds

this would be a good version 6 feature that looks cool but no one actually uses.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
this would be a good version 6 feature that looks cool but no one actually uses.
I agree that sometimes features are exciting to people because they lend an air of "mission control" to their DAW without actually contributing much to workflow, but I don't think that's the case here. Seeing EQ/compression/etc at a glance without having to pop open windows is a real time saver.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Pretty sure that's coming down the line. There were some pre's that had a feature to allow embedding the GUI into the track. It will be handy in the mixer I think.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I agree that sometimes features are exciting to people because they lend an air of "mission control" to their DAW without actually contributing much to workflow, but I don't think that's the case here. Seeing EQ/compression/etc at a glance without having to pop open windows is a real time saver.
feeling cynical today I guess

is it only going to work with ReaEQ? Why not this or that plugin? Will this break all themes?

Last year we got gain reduction feedback added to reaper (technically) but I haven't seen anyone doing anything with it yet.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
Judders

Quote:
Fair enough if other people want it, but I don't see how it would save time. I open a plugin if I hear that something needs changing. Seeing what EQ or gain reduction is going on tells me nothing about how appropriate that sounds.

I wouldn't begrudge others from wanting it, of course, but it would be wasted screen real estate for me personally.
Judders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMK View Post
...Pro Tools and Studio One...
Looks like Cubase and Logic have it too?

+1
I caught myself tweaking other plugins, forgetting I was cutting, more than once.

Maybe it doesn't need to be so big, always...
Logic's seems pretty compact.

OP video shows ProTools version is open to third party effects too.

Last edited by FnA; 02-15-2019 at 09:27 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I don't see how it would save time.
It saves time if you want to do the same thing to a bunch of tracks and don't wanna check each one to find out if you missed any (e.g. hi-passing). And it's a much more reliable way to notice certain accidental changes in a busy mix (e.g. switching a preset on a track you weren't actually listening to).

Plus, the way it was being implemented, it's not just a graphic; it can be used just like the plugin in a more compact version. Very handy indeed for quick changes.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #11
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
is it only going to work with ReaEQ? Why not this or that plugin? Will this break all themes?
See the thread I linked above -- apparently it was implemented for "ReaEQ, ReaXComp, ReaComp, ReaSurround, and graphical JSFX". I don't have any knowledge about theme issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I wouldn't begrudge others from wanting it, of course, but it would be wasted screen real estate for me personally.
For me the value is quick reference -- "the cymbals sound a little harsh -- did i already tame the highs on the room mics?" <glance at the track -- yep -- so maybe now I open up FX for the close mic instead, thus saving the clicks of opening the room mics to remember which track was already tamed> "I hear too much compression on the rhythm guitar -- is it the compressor on the close mic track or the compressor on the guitar group track or the compressor on the master track that's hitting too hard?" <just glance at the visible minimalist GUI>, etc. <...and make a tweak, too... I think the embedded GUIs are active GUI, not just readouts...>

IMO, anything that can be done to get closer to a (customized) experience where everything is in front of you and first-order accessible rather than being nested and sub-nested is nice to have -- as an option -- when laying out a mix.

Probably my least favorite thing about mixing in a DAW is all the damn clicking in and out of stuff over and over again. I kinda suspect this is the real reason so many people prefer tactile mixing with outboard gear; maybe it's not so much the knobs and lights as it is the simple accessibility. If our DAWs had 10 giant touch screens and every plugin just open and ready for tweaking it'd be a very different DAW experience...
Old 02-16-2019, 12:32 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Plus, the way it was being implemented, it's not just a graphic; it can be used just like the plugin in a more compact version. Very handy indeed for quick changes.
That's a whole different bucket of crabs. If you can actually change EQ, threshold etc., then that's great functionality.

For context, I used Logic 8 for years and never missed seeing the EQ curve graphic when I switched to REAPER.

Having track control knobs in REAPER, on the other hand, gives visual feedback AND control, which is much more useful to me.

Again though, I'm not trying to dictate what might be useful to others!
Old 02-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #13
Judders

Quote:
IMO, anything that can be done to get closer to a (customized) experience where everything is in front of you and first-order accessible rather than being nested and sub-nested is nice to have -- as an option -- when laying out a mix.
Definitely. That's why I use the MCP to access plugins without having to deal with the fx window menu (and since Kenny put out his "channel strip fx" video I've been using an action to bring up all plugins at once), and why I'm such a big fan of track controls.

But I gave my reasons for not finding EQ curves or GR meters useful (as well as using Logic 8, which had EQ curve graphics on the mixer, I've used Harrison Mixbus too, which has Pro Tools style GR meters... didn't find that helpful in any way either!).

It's just different strokes. I like knobs with minimal visual feedback, because I find that curves, graphs, analysers etc. tend to make me stick more to formulaic and conservative processing: I move stuff so it looks right rather than trusting my ears and just worrying about what sounds right.

Last edited by Judders; 02-16-2019 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
EMK

I agree with a lot that have been said here. As in PT and S1 it should be optional to show and hide these curves. And as foxAsteria says, to be able to change the curves directly from the mixer view might enhance some peoples workflow.

I study music production, and I think such curves would make our assignments more transparent, as we usually only include an image of the mixer and arranging window with the report. For me, it seems that it would add information in communication.

In PT some third party plugins are supported for this, like Fabfilter. I think S1 only has this feature for the stock plugins.
EMK is offline   Reply With Quote