Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 AM   #1
viksan
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper using 180% CPU

I just upgraded to a new computer, a macbook pro (quad core 3.1Ghz), from my old macbook pro from 2011 (quad core 2Ghz). The old one ran 10.13 High Sierra, the new 10.14 Mojave
I thought everything would run more smoothly now, but instead it starts to stutter, and the CPU usage goes through the roof. I get really strange values from the Activity Monitor:

It says it has a "CPU time" of 12 hours when i've been running reaper for 5 minutes.
The "Idle Wake Ups" are att 9000, which seems a bit high.
And "% CPU" jumps to 100% as soon as i start the program, and goes up to 180% when I try to run a not that challenging mix (my old computer managed without a stutter).

Could this be a compatibility issue or is it a setting or hardware issue?

----

edit:
I didn't pay attention to which OS was supported. I guess I have myself to blame, and have to wait for a new release.

Last edited by viksan; 02-11-2019 at 03:21 AM. Reason: To quick to post
viksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Rick Settle

Quote:
Originally Posted by viksan View Post
I just upgraded to a new computer, a macbook pro (quad core 3.1Ghz), from my old macbook pro from 2011 (quad core 2Ghz). The old one ran 10.13 High Sierra, the new 10.14 Mojave
I thought everything would run more smoothly now, but instead it starts to stutter, and the CPU usage goes through the roof. I get really strange values from the Activity Monitor:

It says it has a "CPU time" of 12 hours when i've been running reaper for 5 minutes.
The "Idle Wake Ups" are att 9000, which seems a bit high.
And "% CPU" jumps to 100% as soon as i start the program, and goes up to 180% when I try to run a not that challenging mix (my old computer managed without a stutter).

Could this be a compatibility issue or is it a setting or hardware issue?

----

edit:
I didn't pay attention to which OS was supported. I guess I have myself to blame, and have to wait for a new release.

Saying that you get strange values seems to be an understatement to me. I've never understood how it is possible to get more than %100 of anything.

How can those values be possible?
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
serr

A couple things:

A 4 core machine with hyperthreading will show up to 800% CPU use. It's reported per core.

Not what you want to hear but you may have downgraded Macbook Pros there. Look at the turbo boost speeds for one thing. The newer machines also have poorer cooling so there might be throttling. The Jobs era Macs are still the flagship models. There are a couple of the newer models with insane prices sporting slightly faster CPUs but the thermal issues and the downgrade on the ports and accessories more than offsets that.

OSX 10.14 might be an issue. Not every 3rd party plugin maker or interface driver maker is fully on board yet. Feels pretty beta release status to me so far. There are bugs! So you may want to consider installing OSX 10.13.6. This might cure it and the above dissing on the post-Jobs Macs may be a moot point.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
cyrano

First off, what's your audio interface? And what Macbook Pro exactly? A new one with the T2 processor?

It could be a number of issues.

If you have a T2 security chip, it's connected via an Apple developed USB bridge. That bridge also connects keyboard, camera, internal audio and a number of other things. If this is the problem, you'll have to wait for Apple to maybe fix it. The best lie I heard, was that Apple didn't develop this chip for audio. Could be, as even internal audio shows problems sometimes. But it would be a very major oversight, wouldn't it?

Another possible issue is that a number of daemons that talk to the cloud can misbehave. Some people have reported success by disabling them. But you can't disable all of them and there's not one set of faulty ones. And they're back after a restart. Again, you need to wait for Apple to fix it.

A third problem lies in the set of adapters used to connect. When you've got a Firewire connection, for instance, you go from USB-C to TB3 to TB2 to FW, to end with a FW800 to FW400 cable, possibly. Some third party adapters don't work for audio. Most docks don't work. Only a few gigabit ethernet adapters work with netboot