Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #41
The Bunker
Human being with feelings

Good to know...

So I am going through all my plugins now assigning them to the desired process type, some interesting thing I came up against was some plugins actually dont use ANY FLS slots. Is this possible? And why would it be this way?
The Bunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #42
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
Good to know...

So I am going through all my plugins now assigning them to the desired process type, some interesting thing I came up against was some plugins actually dont use ANY FLS slots. Is this possible? And why would it be this way?
Plug-ins do not have to use FLS slots. That is just related to the way some of them work (really more which runtime libraries they use and how). Most plug-ins share libraries which use FLS slots, so the problem is not usual. Macrosoft's intention was not limiting anything, it just happened some developers do stupid things...

For the plug-in loading mode I want to repeat: every plug-in will be loaded according to its setting (if set to default, it will use global parameter). Every time it is loaded, independent from how it was loaded the last time. That is not saved into the project.
But plug-ins which are already loaded, in currently opened projects, will not start reloading themselves instantly. You will need to re-load the project.

Note that since all that is about bugs in plug-ins, it can be wise to restart REAPER. Loaded plug-in is free to not unload correctly, corrupt REAPER, etc. I mean if some developer was so stupid to statically link crazy amount of FLS consuming runtimes, he probably does not care at all how his plug-in is unloaded
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #43
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Plug-ins do not have to use FLS slots. That is just related to the way some of them work (really more which runtime libraries they use and how). Most plug-ins share libraries which use FLS slots, so the problem is not usual. Macrosoft's intention was not limiting anything, it just happened some developers do stupid things...

For the plug-in loading mode I want to repeat: every plug-in will be loaded according to its setting (if set to default, it will use global parameter). Every time it is loaded, independent from how it was loaded the last time. That is not saved into the project.
But plug-ins which are already loaded, in currently opened projects, will not start reloading themselves instantly. You will need to re-load the project.

Note that since all that is about bugs in plug-ins, it can be wise to restart REAPER. Loaded plug-in is free to not unload correctly, corrupt REAPER, etc. I mean if some developer was so stupid to statically link crazy amount of FLS consuming runtimes, he probably does not care at all how his plug-in is unloaded
Thanks for all this info, this is great knowledge. All this is been some of the most important stuff I've learned recently about project management, now I can actually make conscious decisions about what plugins to use and take into account the resources at my disposal instead of just piling on more and more plugins blindly until everything just stops working.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #44
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Win7 Home Premium, right after launching REAPER...
ASIO: 112
WASPI: 114
Win10 Pro (1703), Same interface & settings as Win7 PC (identical motherboards)...

115 (ASIO)
117 (WASPI)
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #45
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Good to know. It means, if I find perfect solution for particular plugin while working in one project, it will stay if I switch to another project, incl. already started one

But it seems to be one exception. I just did a test: if global parameter is set to "Native only", it's not possible to change the mode on plugin basis. It means, if I try particular plugin mode to either separate or dedicated process, it will be loaded as native.

However it works otherwise: if it's globally set to bridging, selecting native mode will allow loading the plugin not bridged.
Can you confirm this?
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:07 AM   #46
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
But it seems to be one exception. I just did a test: if global parameter is set to "Native only", it's not possible to change the mode on plugin basis. It means, if I try particular plugin mode to either separate or dedicated process, it will be loaded as native.

However it works otherwise: if it's globally set to bridging, selecting native mode will allow loading the plugin not bridged.
Can you confirm this?
Yup. "Native only (Disable bridging)" overwrites per plug-in setting.

That make sense. "Automatic" + per plug-in setting + browser filtering combinations cover all possible scenarios. Setting "Native only" for a plug-in which can not do this effectively prevents plug-in loading.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #47
The Bunker

Another thing I remembered while going through my plugins was that I used to have my default processing setting on dedicated some time ago. I have now forgotten why I initially had that and why I decided to later change to automatic (possibly not even a conscious decision) but it got me thinking, are there any disadvantages to just having everything as a dedicated process? It seems this way I wouldn’t need to worry about FLS limits and also if a plug-in ever crashes it wouldn’t crash my project either. Thoughts on this?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #48
juliansader

Quote:
are there any disadvantages to just having everything as a dedicated process?
Quoting myself from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I have tested REAPER vs KONTAKT again and, many crashes later, I realized that Run as -> Native is vastly faster than Run as -> Dedicated process, and since Native doesn't hang REAPER as easily, it is actually safer too.

When using Dedicated process, I can barely load 100 instances of KONTAKT or PLAY without REAPER hanging, crashing other otherwise freaking out with flashing windows.

With Native, I can load my entire RAM full of hundreds of KONTAKT instances (online, with instruments loaded in each), without any noticeable lag.

Interestingly, "Buggy plugin compatibility mode" also seems to have an effect. When using Dedicated process, "Buggy plugin compatibility mode" also allows me to load many more instances, although loading is not as fast as when using Native.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #49
The Bunker

Also I am just starting to notice now that some plugins that I assign to the "separate" or "dedicated" mode are still taking up FLS slots. One such offender is Virtual Mix Rack which takes up more than 30 slots and doesn't even unload all of them when you take it off. Anyone know why this might be happening?

EDIT: Just Realised this seems to be the case with VST3s not VST. Do VST3 plugins take up FLS slots no matter what?

Last edited by The Bunker; 01-13-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #50
The Bunker

Anyone know anything in regards to VST3s and FLS slots? Google doesn't bring any info.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #51
ChrisBlue

What interests me and even more interesting why no-one else seems to ask is WHY CAN'T PEOPLE WHO WRITE THESE PROGRAMS EVER TELL YOU WHAT THE ISSUE IS - LIKE ERR " FLS LIMIT REACHED" IS THERE SOME REASON THIS IS NEVER DONE??????!!!!!!
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #52
karbomusic

^It depends on what the exact underlying error the developer receives back from the OS is, sometimes it's specific, sometimes it is accurate but not specific, and sometimes it's just developers not taking the extra time.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #53
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Also I am just starting to notice now that some plugins that I assign to the "separate" or "dedicated" mode are still taking up FLS slots. One such offender is Virtual Mix Rack which takes up more than 30 slots and doesn't even unload all of them when you take it off. Anyone know why this might be happening?

EDIT: Just Realised this seems to be the case with VST3s not VST. Do VST3 plugins take up FLS slots no matter what?
Bridging is not supported for VST3, so that'd be why...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #54
Cranky Emu

Quote:
I have a mixture of VST2 and VST3 plugins loaded majority of which are 64bit with maybe 1 or 2 32bit plugins here and there.
Don't be so rash to toss it aside. I had problems with Reaper crashing every now and then for no apparent reason. It was one of the 32 bit VST's that was causing the problem. Projects without that VST - no problems, solid rock (great Aussie song too!). Those with it would crash Reaper, it took a bit to find due to:

- Sometimes it would crash on project load
- Sometimes run the whole project no issues (this was rare)
- Lucky to get 2 or 3 bars in before crashing

In my case it was a VST called Chorus CH-2, sad because I liked what it could do. Once I removed it from the chains, all was good again.

So start peeling off plugins one-by-one and see if that nets a culprit.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:54 PM   #55
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Is this even possible / useful / planned ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #56
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ok so is that something inherent with VST3s or a limitation of Reaper? And so there is NO WAY to make VST3s run as any process other than native right?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #57
The Bunker

Ok so after some more tweaking I have just discovered this problem (I found someone else with exactly the same problem so I'll just let them explain instead of rewriting the whole thing.):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm...s_a_dedicated/
Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #58
The Bunker

Quote:
Ok so after some more tweaking I have just discovered this problem (I found someone else with exactly the same problem so I'll just let them explain instead of rewriting the whole thing.):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm...s_a_dedicated/
I think I figured it out for anyone else who comes across this. In windows, you have to go to your audio interface's properties and de-select the option to allow applications to take exclusive control of your audio interface.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #59
The Bunker

Quote:
I think I figured it out for anyone else who comes across this. In windows, you have to go to your audio interface's properties and de-select the option to allow applications to take exclusive control of your audio interface.
And strange enough it seemed to work for a little while and now it doesn't again... anyone else come across this kinda behaviour?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #60
The Bunker

Ok so I have been using Reaper now for a little while as per the advice in this thread and have made some of my heavier FLS users to run as separate plugins. But I am just finding Reaper to be very sluggish and unresponsive when using plugins that are run as a separate process, specially when the UI is open or focused. Is this normal?