Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
ginodi
Human being with feelings

Default Album 4 and getting better

Greetings to all,

My fourth release has been out one month: Locked Doors Open Rooftops. The recording took three months where every spare moment was dedicated to this project. My goal is to keep getting better on the engineering and production side, which does take more time to where I can use it to construct new songs.

On this one I used for the first time reverb and delay buses--something that was suggested on the last time I posted. My vocals improved, and as I said prior, to not judge the output on vocals alone; I am not a singer. I used EZ Drummer for the first time, and a new guitar processor, which I run into the interface (I tried using the USB, yet it was more of a hassle taking more time, and I still have to support a household).

Before giving this a listen (should you choose), I am an obsessed Prog head who is doing this stuff to leave something behind...soon to turn 60... when the time comes to exit. I love the art of songwriting and playing with structures. I am adding the link below...off to work. Thank you in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/user-31628781...-open-rooftops
ginodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
ginodi

Default In my haste...I forgot something.

If any of you find areas where I need further improvement, please do provide suggestions. Case in point is the song, "As Strangers". It was the next to the last song I recorded, and I knew if I didn't add another the next one would have to be over 12 minutes in length just to get over the 30 minute mark. I wrote and recorded that one in three hours, and the vocals are flat and lack dynamics, so learning to use automation well is a good starting point before I go back and record the next one.

I had to write my first post fast before heading out the door...such is life.
Grazie!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
Dream Of Sleeping

I listened to Land of broken toys.

Are you sure you can't get the vocals a little better? Did you spend time really practicing then did you do multiple takes and make a comp of the best ones? Did you use tuning software on the bum notes? If not I would suggest doing those things.I listened to the first and song and the vocals seemed louder than everything, so you could get away with turning them down quite a bit.

Did you use a referece track for the mix? If not then pick a song that's closest to what you want to sound like then keep flicking back and forward from your mix to the reference to see what's better.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
ginodi

Default Yes! This is what I needed to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
I listened to Land of broken toys.

Are you sure you can't get the vocals a little better? Did you spend time really practicing then did you do multiple takes and make a comp of the best ones? Did you use tuning software on the bum notes? If not I would suggest doing those things.I listened to the first and song and the vocals seemed louder than everything, so you could get away with turning them down quite a bit.

Did you use a reference track for the mix? If not then pick a song that's closest to what you want to sound like then keep flicking back and forward from your mix to the reference to see what's better.
Thank you for giving a listen. I could get the vocals better, yet I must admit (rather shamefully) that these are an area I have not given the proper attention at all in part that my vocal talents are lacking...my wife said I would be much better if I practiced.

They were often first takes, and the only time I did a second take was when I messed up a phrase. I did correct several bum notes. I record with a dynamic microphone, and I have to normalize the tracks then try to get them at a reasonable volume. I will be investing in a new one for the next album. Lots of attention will be given to this area. I had two singers that backed out due to commitments elsewhere, and I record at odd times...whenever I can squeeze an hour or two.

I learned of reference tracking right when I was finished with this.

Your thoughts are well-taken, and I am grateful.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
msundh

I always to several takes.
When your'e doing it all alone (sing and record) you don't have the full picture.
It often sound better when you sing then afterwards.
I sing one part(e.g. 1st verse) at a time and doing 5-10 takes, regardless if I think it's good or not.
Then I copy/paste from the takes to the vocal track.
Watch Kenny videos, that's where I learned it.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
ginodi

Thank you! I shall have lots to learn over the summer.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
Dimaension X

I'm with everyone else above. Overall, the musical direction is cool, ... you have some interesting ideas happening. The vocals need work.

I can tell that the lyrics are very personal and mean something to you, so I understand your need to do them yourself, but this is the weakest point of the music. Try layering the vocals with some harmonies, and even unison layers, which will help cover up a bit of "pitchyness". And certainly ReaTune can help you out.

Vocals also require a certain amount of "confidence" too. Any amount of shakiness in your voice will really be audible.

But keep trying, ... keep practicing. Maybe even try some vocal lessons? You'd be surprised how working with a vocal teacher can help improve small areas that you wouldn't even think of yourself.

Keep going. Music is important to all of us here in the forum, and none of us are perfect at it. We all need to get it out in front of our peers, whether it's perfect or not, and that's why we have this great forum. I look forward to hearing more.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
ginodi

Default Thank you for taking the time.

I tell everyone I have hear my work to not judge it on the vocals alone, and I even have moments of cringing myself...oh, why did I do that? The song on my last album, "Wander" is probably my favorite where I worked hard on the piano intro, used a swing beat, BLEW the vocals, modulated from the opening major to a minor in the middle, with a piano intro to a tempo switch, then back to the major and out. That song has two of my best solos. AAGGGHHH! Funny you mentioned the lyrics, for a guy told me if you can't sing well make sure your lyrics are strong.

Back in my working band days so long ago, I wrote everything, sang a new song in rehersals and told the vocalist, "it goes like this, but you can add whatever you want." When on stage, I was the only one who didn't have a microphone. So, yeah. No confidence on that, yet quite confident on the music.

As you can probably tell, I LOVE the piano. I haven't been playing two years yet, but I know tons of scales, and when writing I just try to make it sound good; HOWEVER, I am having problems with mixing the piano to where it can be heard well. It makes my meters jump almost to the red, and I usually try to make sure it goes no higher than -12. While mixing, I turn it up to hear it better...it jumps and dominates. Anyone who can help with this??
Old 02-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
Glennbo

Nice clean mix. I like the waterphone or whatever the metal drum in the intro was.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
ginodi

Grazie, Glennbo! Piano with the sustain pedal on, and I think I sent it through the reverb bus.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
ginodi

Sorry, Glennbo...that was a series of bells and chimes done from a Yamaha DGX 650. Sucks one can't edit posts.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
mschuster

bravo for doing what you're doing! i completely understand your desire to "leave something behind", being 54 myself.

as a few others have mentioned above, your passion can be easily heard in what you're doing... a good chunk of any really great song is the passion the musician(s) put into it. so - you're halfway home! just hang around here for awhile and you're bound to pick up some really great recording/mixing tips.

Good luck!
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
ginodi

Default Mschuster

Grazie! I will keep my ears on you.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:14 AM   #14
TheProbe

Default Nice One!

I was wondering do you play all the instruments yourself?

If you are recording, composing, playing and singing its a lot to do and there is NEVER enough time.
TheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:38 AM   #15
ginodi

Default TheProbe

Yes, all of it is me. Guitars are my main instrument and started messing with piano and keyboard for about two years.