Old 01-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Hartley Mays
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt Key Ranges

Hello,

I need some advice about how to handle the key ranges for Kontakt instruments. A lot of them, especially the choir/vocal ones, have a fairly narrow key range by default. When I use one of them, I'll frequently see and hear some of the notes being sent fall outside the defined range and not sounding (even though I've split the music into approximate pitch ranges). I understand that you wouldn't want to go far out of it, but the Kontakt manual describes how to expand the default range. Is this something that you do with third party commercial libraries, or do you ensure that the notes sent to the instrument stay within the predefined range? Or am I misunderstanding the manual about being able to do this with any given NKI?

Hartley
Cincinnati, Oh
Hartley Mays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Sinner

I looked (for a grand total of 10 minutes once - my own max attention span for figuring shit out) to try to figure that out in Kontakt and couldn't. But my easy work-a-round, man I just needed one extra higher note, I recorded a couple velocities of a couple half steps near the top of the range and pitch shifted them in Reaper.

I know that may have already occurred to you, but I got mad, grabbed a coffee, cursed a bit before it dawned on me so I put it out there.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Hartley Mays

Sinner,

Thanks, did you do anything with Kontakt when you did this, or just have the notes on your own tracks?

I'm trying to figure out what the general approach should be here; I would think it's a common problem that a particular instrument's key range doesn't exactly match the input you want to use it for.

H
Hartley Mays is online now   Reply With Quote