Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
Drakendor
Human being with feelings

Default Constant stutter with Kontakt 6 Player (6 or more instances)

Original thread posted yesterday, because new accounts cannot post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm..._stutter_with/

Hey guys!

I've recently acquired a bundle of .nki instruments to use with Kontakt, and I started noticing, in more complex projects, that it takes very little for Kontakt to start stuttering my Reaper.

The test case I did was:
- One track with one instance of Kontakt and 1 single instrument (not multi) loaded
- Duplicate tracks until problems start happening (I also tried with different instruments per track, but it's the same)

It takes about 6-7 instances of Kontakt with 1 pretty simple instrument, no MIDI items, idle (not playing at all). Basically a completely new project with just this.

What starts happening is that, while most of the workflow stays "normal", the MIDI editor has the exact same stutter as the VST in the embedded version - they both start stuttering every second! (in the VST it's most noticeable when you drag the window around)

The more instances I have of Kontakt, the more noticeable the stutter becomes, but it is exactly each second that the freezes occur (and last about 0.3-0.7 seconds)

I've seen tons and tons of posts mentioning Reaper and Kontakt but none that referred to this particular problem, from what I've encountered.

I appreciate all your help, I wouldn't want to switch DAWs right now

------- UPDATE -------

I actually forgot to test this, but having 6 instruments in a single Kontakt instance has the exact same effect, so it's definitely not a multi/single instance issue

Last edited by Drakendor; 03-01-2021 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Update on the issue
Drakendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
ivansc

Hi & welcome to the forums.
Have you checked out the free user guide and/or the free video tutorials at reaper.fm?

It sounds like you don`t have your computer & audio/MIDI interface set up to the optimum settings & this is causing cpu overloads.
First thing to check is by downloading resplendence.com`s excellent free latency checker & running it.
It will let you know whether or not your computer is capable of doing multitrack audio & MIDI recordings & will outline any issues it finds for you.

Once you have sorted that out, first make sure that if your audio/MIDI interface comes with ASIO drivers, you are using them & have set the ASIO buffer at around 512 to start with. This will lengthen the latency of your system but IF it does away with the problem, you can then progressively lower the buffer until it starts playing up again, then just back off a little.

My own machine will happily run all day at 64 buffer when recording, but I have an excellent interface & a pretty decent i7 cpu with 61gb of ram.

That said, the initial chapter in the user manual and Kenny Gioia`s early videos are very helpful on helping you optimise your computer.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
Drakendor

Hi Ivan, thanks for the reply and the welcome

I forgot to mention one thing... the stutter is not on the audio, it's on moving the kontakt player vst window and editing midi notes while no audio is happening whatsoever.

After I found out how to REALLY perform a clean install on Reaper, I'm glad to say that this no longer happens. Must've been some setting that I checked when I was customizing my preferences in-depth... without knowing what I'm doing heheh

-----
For anyone who's looking here for answers:
Performing a clean install on Kontakt:
-Besides removing it from Windows, it's good to check that there aren't registry entries still attached to it, so NI actually has a tool for this
https://support.native-instruments.c...ssues-Windows-

Performing a clean install on Reaper:
-Besides removing it from Windows, you need to delete everything in C:/Users/<Your User>/AppData/Roaming/REAPER
-For a safety check, run this utility provided by Microsoft. It helps see if there's still issues with uninstalling a program
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-e9f927e1eb4d
Drakendor is offline   Reply With Quote