Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 11-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
Johnny Rico
Human being with feelings

Default Annoying black frames, am I doing wrong ?

Hello, I'm still a noob with video editing, there is this annoying thing, when I want to add a picture : black frames at the beginning and the end of the picture when playback...

Is there something I've done wrong ?

Here is a capture of what I do, with the jpg picture inserted on the "flash" track 10, while a mp4 is on the "video" track 9.

thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sans titre_2.jpg (37.0 KB, 196 views)
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Johnny Rico

Is it something happening to everyone ?
Old 12-22-2020, 05:10 AM   #3
drew
Mobile

Not sure if it's the same, but I know if my render range is exactly on the left boundary of the video item, the first frame will be black - which means on social media the preview still is black too. I zoom in and move a fraction to the right to avoid this. I've never been sure if it's "wrong" or if it depends on some configuration aspect or choice of video codec etc.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Is there an (automatic) short fade at the beginning/end of the item? That should only affect it if you’ve got “item fades affect video” preset added, but...
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Fabian

Does it show up in the rendered file?

I get black frames when Reaper changes source when I play back the project, but these black frames do not show up in the rendered video. I've just learnt to live with it. It probably has something to do with Reaper switching input to VLC when playing back. Maybe my CPU is not powerful enough.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Johnny Rico

I'm pretty sure the black frames appear in the rendered file too, but I will make a new one to be sure !
Old 12-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
JamesPeters

Try setting your timeline to "absolute frames" if you haven't done so already, when you're working with video. Reaper will try to "snap" items and their start/end points to whatever you specify. If you have the timeline set to anything other than "absolute frames", and try to align items, you may end up with a missing frame (which will render a black frame in its place). With video, you probably want the specific accuracy of snapping to frames.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:13 AM   #8
Johnny Rico

I tried both of your suggestions and it seems the "rendered fix" from Fabian is the key, at least for me...

Weird, I just checked and some of my latest videos had this problem on rendered files too, but the render I just made right now is perfect...Maybe it's all about cpu, ressources, and project heaviness...
Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
JamesPeters

I forgot to mention something else which I thought about hours later...

If your video and image sources are different sizes/resolutions, when Reaper switches between them (as it resizes them), it can have that effect (you see the video output black for a moment). To resolve this, change all your video and image sources to be the same size/resolution.

(edit) Nope, I'm wrong lol.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 12-24-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Johnny Rico

Interesting, and very relevant. To be sure, you have to resize BEFORE importing on Reaper ?
Old 12-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
JamesPeters

Actually that last thing I said about Reaper need to resize images/video: it doesn't seem to cause this issue. I just tested it. I thought it did before. That was a couple years ago though, I'm using a different OS now, and perhaps some changes were made in Reaper too.

If that issue happens with me again I'll try to figure out what causes it and report back.