Old 05-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Default Resuscitation

My poor little Mac Mini Server (i7 from mid 2011) died when I broke a mysterious piece of wire and connectors whilst upgrading the hard drives.
I have been patiently trying to find a replacement for that IR board/cable for many months until someone finally broke down and admitted that the only things that cable did was turn the green LED on and off with the power button and send & receive signals from "my IR remote controller" which of course I have never owned.

So chuffed to just stick it back together, turn on and it worked first time, just fine.
Now I am on the lookout for a bigger better monitor...
Old 05-20-2021, 05:12 AM   #2
ivansc

Got myself a Hewlett Packard 30" 2560x1600 & it only worked at super low res with my existing Mini Display port to DVD-D.
Grr.

The now obsolete A1306 "new, improved" DVD-D dual link to Mini Display Port which is apparently required to unlock the higher res. is of course obsolete, so I went hunting and found a new boxed one for £48 instead of the much more expensive ones.... cant wait to see it working...

Anyone else been through this hoop-jumping? Bloody Apple!!!
Old 05-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
ivansc

I know I`m just writing to myself, but the adapter arrived today and it is excellent.

What I like the most is that there is a purpose-built option to set your display resolution for scaling, which means the screen size can be altered to suit the software you are using.

Impressed so far...

I am now wondering if the actual Apple 30" Cinema display would offer any significant improvements, bearing in mind that I also got a ton of desk real estate back by connecting both my PC and my Mac to this same monitor, which allows you to switch between no less than three separate inputs to the screen.

Last edited by ivansc; 05-25-2021 at 12:15 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
shanabit

Id stick with the HP monitor myself.

I think buying an Apple display of any kind is like tossing your dough in the trash. The price is ALWAYS inflated and good luck if you have an issue with it. You would be able to replace it for less than the cost of Apple Care and whatever else you get stuck with from Apple.

My journey is ending with Apple here BTW. Power Mac, G4, 2 G5's, current MacPro from 2010
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:00 AM   #5
ivansc

Having checked all the various Apple Cinema displays on ebay it would seem like the only affordable ones are sold minus the crucial power supply, so I am sticking with the HP, like you suggested!