Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
rhythm_kitchen
Human being with feelings

Default >Big Mouth needs Big Brain & Slipstream AHCI help!

Well my parrot ate my money order. Yeah... you have heard this excuse before. Actually it is true. Cockos must have received it by now. Sorry about that. Took it back thinking it was toast, but they said it was 'ok' to mail out...lots going on in my life, not doing music like I should be, been unable to get Motu MIDI working USB problems with the new AVID Delta combo driver did a few tests with REAPER, like the extracting of my NEVE Desk mixed quantegy gold CD with a misaligned studio label (from the old days as in SD-II and Quadras). REAPER extracted the two mixes perfectly. I have yet to instal http://dbpoweramp.com/

My macs couldn't get it extracted without glitches. I have dual Delta 66s that sync under XP with the older m-audio driver but not the new all-in-one W-7 64 bit driver (with a MIDI driver that in XP turns off Motu MIDI) and of course no MIDI interface on the PCI card or breakout box. So I thought to dual boot with separate primary partitions, the two others are logical for drivers storage, etc... this was suggested to me by a windows guru. But it may be causing more problems then its worth, although I have a brand new Seagate also installed just to test, bios sees both, but XP sp-2 says no HD installed. Then this virus error MBR thing, which I deleted and replaced with a tool symantec recommended still the same error. XP 0x0000007b (0xF78D252, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

ANYWAY! Not selling anything... never was. Just concerned about EMI glitching live recording as it happened to me in 2000 with the first USB and their crappy mbox cable. RE: my first poorly worded post.

I am a songwriter, composer, polyrhythm nut, interest in special tunings, like many here trying to get away from Pro Tools which I have on my Mac and its error messages, lack of VSTi support, REX-2 and CPU usage. But it is on a PPC and best for editing and live recording... A wise longtime REAPER user suggested projects embedded within a project is coming back (then I can finally have 6 against 4 in one application and not hassle locking dual machines). Amen! Also the G-4 is a noisy beast with tiny whining fans!!! So I decided to support the Cockos Team go for the gold! (end of rant)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help Needed Badly!

SLIPSTREAM MATRIX SATA DRIVERS OR F6 using a less than 500 mBs USB thumb drive?

Stats: Asus P5QSE mobo with 4 gig (another 4 uninstalled as of yet). Quad Core Q6600 (2.4 gHz) XP pro 32, W-7 Pro 64 (uninstalled as of yet). I updated to the latest (flash bios tool) bios from ASUS using a Sandisk Cruzer no problem (which supposedly supports USB thumb drives) as floppies. My XP sp-2 disk cannot find the SATA drive when I change bios from IDE emulation to AHCI. I plan to dual boot with W-7 64 and need AHCI for eSata and SATA to record for both XP and W-7.

Is is possible, bios says yes, it tells me it will 'see' the F6 deal as a floppy with a Fat 16 thumb drive under 500 mBs, but I cannot seem to format it right, bios has three settings for sizes: 720K, 1.44M, or Floppy support off). Intel(4) as I have a Quad Core. The bios sees the SATA drives (the OS drive is formatted with four partitions... is this why the 0x000007b error comes up with blue screen? It installs ok in IDE emulation mode but I want full AHCI SATA 2 support.

Should I install W-7 first? However this particular guru told me to install XP first.

ICHI10 from intel is that the SATA raid controller that is listed for this mobo? I have downloaded so many F6 fixes, HP has one. Intel installs a raid PCI controller which may be good a some point for sample library. XP cannot boot once it is installed in IDE emulation mode, and now with a new SATA DVD drive I thought the fix was this. Not! Anyway I am not using IDE on the MOBO for anything at the moment but do have an IDE DVDR drive (CDR).

I do have an LVD Adaptec SCSI card and a 10 gig Cheetah, even older Adaptec SCSI, I could reformat from HFS to NTSF but it is noisy. Naturally I can't find my Seagate formatting CD. I notice XP sp-2 installs all of these SCSI drivers I can't imagine why no AHCI SATA drivers? Everyone seems to call them matrix drivers.

Here's one link I found: http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?...kKR2jKP.CHCg--

Can anyone find the time to post a reply so I can do this (head banging insert here) if I take it to a shop I will not learn myself how to reinstall, I know enough about DAWs to know one always has to reinstall the OS at one time or another.

I do have ISO buster and a working XP sp-3 laptop, and CD rom burner (firewire) attached to it. Should I slipstream the XP Pro SP-2 disk with the Intel matrix controllers? Can anyone point me in the right direction. Or is there a way to use the USB thumb drive as a floppy as the bios says (if it is under 500 mBs, mine is Fat 16 250 mBs) and I just need the correct formatting for it to be recognised as a floppy.

I do have in storage an old IDE floppy drive I'd have to rip out of a compaq buried deep under rubble. My wrists and back aren't what they use to be, any tips would be greatly appreciated. It is packed so tight back there in storage a worm couldn't ****!

"The mind is like a parachute. It only functions when open."
rhythm_kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
JHughes
Banned

Hey RK, so you're still struggling with this are you?

Firstly, I would seriously reconsider whether you need AHCI at all. The benefits of AHCI are few.

Secondly, booting from a USB drive can be weird, it depends on BIOS settings whether it will work. It's a nifty feature, but why make things harder than necessary?

To keep things simple, I would try installing with a slipstreamed disk. You can download one already made, or slipstream the drivers from http://www.driverpacks.net/.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
rhythm_kitchen

Back up I see. Thanks for the tips. Basically it is the ICH10 driver I need and I can get a floppy for 10 bucks. Still have plenty of disks around 1.44Mbs.

USB heard that too, not to use it.

Weird problem cropped up though, Boot Partition magic, Now I have c: drive unformated and the entire 500 (or near) mBs as I; XP is back installed IDE emulation. I am totally confused now, since I have the data partitions unerased so I can backup to USB HD. I might reinstalled Boot Partition and start over with just two partitions. XP was giving an error message about cylinder numbers being to high to boot.

It does make sense to slipstream but I have the floppy connector on the MOBO and might just try the f6flpy96x86.zip or iata96enu(2).exe because on this Asus mobo it doesn't support raid. So I don't want the ICH10(r) just ICH10 but I have 6 ports, I've seen drivers for two ports, four ports, JH's do you think, I will have more reliable storage with AHCI in the long run with both XP and W-7 x64. I've suffered with too much data loss in the past, even on Macintosh.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
JHughes
Banned

Windows 7 is more robust than XP regarding data loss. I don't know what AHCI has to do with data integrity unless you're running RAID, and RAID is rarely worth the trouble. AHCI offers hot swapping, but I would never hot swap a drive anyway if I could help it. AHCI also offers NCQ which theoretically is faster but practically is not.

BTW are you formatting NTFS or FAT32? You should be using NTFS.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
cdavis6406

AHCI is a read write protocol for host controllers(hard drives). It is much faster than IDE,,,,much faster

And btw, USB is HORRIBLE for audio, wether its the os drive or an audio(although i will do it from time to time for a couple of tracks or so). It will flake out a given track count.

Read this and you can install AHCI after XP install. It will work fine and its alot less headache than slip streaming.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

Those are the lab level differences. But what it doesnt show is AHCI really really excells with streaming audio from or to a DAW.
Good luck.

P.S. After installing it on XP my track count in protools went from about 12 with plugs to about 28 before it flaked out. Never tested the gains with reaper but imagine it would be comparable. Mind you this is on an old rig but Its fresh in my memmory.

W7, Vista and OSX already use AHCI so for those users its not necessary. In XP it was only IDE, execept for XP Server pack, this is due to the fact that XP server needs to stream line the read write process on its hard drives. The drivers and software are a module from XP server an work fine.

Best bit of advice HACKINTOSH. I have W7 rig, OSX snow rig. and a OSX on pc platform. The hackintosh is about 30% more powerful at the daw level than an actual Mac Tower Pro we use at our tracking studio......at 1/5 the price point. And smokes an idential hardware set up on w7 and XP.

Last edited by cdavis6406; 01-24-2011 at 05:31 PM.
cdavis6406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
rhythm_kitchen

Sorry for the confusion. Using a USB floppy can cause problems was what I had heard during the F6 business. I may just buy the floppy for 10 bucks with the cable. But thanks for the tip on the registry changes. XP Pro x86 does try to load after I change the bios to SATA but fails. Will repair do this instead...? I'm looking for a simple solution that is stable. Really need a stable working system with Ableton and REAPER if that is possible. Any advise would be appreciated. Keeping for now an older stable vs of Pro Tools on the mac.

Actually what happened after using the chkdsk tool linked on symantec's site after a MBR error (virus warning) but turned out to be no SATA driver... is my partitions got mangled. But I had forgotten I had finally hooked the sata cable to a new unformatted hard drive 'I' which is where XP Pro is currently newly installed via IDE emulation. I would like to change it so I have access to the eSata port and AHCI.

When I said, back up to USB HD -- meaning logical partitions I had created for drivers, REX files, MIDI templates, etc, USB-2, 1394b oxford HD enclosure... these C: drive partitions had not been damaged on the original XP drive, just the XP C: partition was unformatted 'RAW'. XP won't install on it for some reason and the install disk can't format it. Perhaps it is Boot Partition Magic's doing?

I do have an eSata port on my machine but would probably only use it in a pinch, for compatability or if I begin using an i5 laptop (wishful thinking). I have 5 ports open (if not using eSATA) now as I am using a dual layer sata DVD burner.

Is there any difference in these 2 or 4 port sata controllers? This mobo has 6. Also forums have warned on this MOBO to not use the ICHI0(R) raid as it can be problematic just the ICH10 and this is hard to find on Intel's website, lots of error warnings too (PDFs). It is called a matrix driver. RST driver. Is there a 6 port version? It's confusing.

Last edited by rhythm_kitchen; 01-25-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
rhythm_kitchen

Default NTSF

Sorry, my drives are NTSF -- have NSTF 3g on my Tiger PPC. Would love a stable hackintosh in fact, just not sure my bird brain can handle it. She is a lot smarter than me, loves paper and fortunately avoids headphone and mic cables (they look like snakes). BTW- she's a big bird. As in a pitbull guard bird... on top of her cay (she can't manage the G sound but is quite a talker like her dad) free to roam and attack the shoe of her choosing... believe me people run for cover (chairs, tables, sofas).

NTSF 3g is weird. It changes AIFF suffixes as well as .toast image suffixes as this is my first interface with Macintosh and NTSF firewire/USB-2 Hard Drives. I have 4 drives in there now (yet unformatted one dedicated for samples -- NTSF also I pressume? That would be Kontack.

Any tips on which order to install or which is more stable x86 on W-7 64 or x64 on 64 (Reaper and install order would be appreciated.

Only the thumb drives are fat 16 or fat 32, not booting from them. Just my bios is supposed to see them as floppies but it doesn't seem to work (if under 500mBs). However I was able to flash my bios to W-7 64 and XP Pro latest version months ago using a 5 gig sandisk cruzer no problem (asus flash bios tool, not via windows).

Would an ASUS P5QSE run under Sno Leo?

Last edited by rhythm_kitchen; 01-25-2011 at 09:48 AM.