Old 11-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings
 
RDBOIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: It changes
Posts: 1,314
Default New song - Live recording : Is this good enough?

`Greetings

It has been a while since I have produced a song. I've been mostly working on writing lyrics, but I decided to record something.

HERE IS THE SONG: https://soundcloud.com/consciousgroo...e-live-version

I hesitated to do this, because the last time I recorded a "live version' the critique was bad, very very bad...

Let me give you the context: I have a small home studio with a very small budget. I need to work very hard In-The-Box to produce a song that will sound meaningful. I enjoy doing this, but once in a while I wish I could simplify the process and record a LIVE song with a SINGLE TAKE.

I have 20+ songs that need to be recorded. I need to simplify the process.

I present to you, for your critique (plz be honest), the most simplified recording possible, a live single take of a song.

How bad is this recording?

How much work is needed?

What do you recommend (keep it simple plz)?

Thank you

Last edited by RDBOIS; 11-22-2019 at 08:22 PM.
RDBOIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 8,203
Default

No critic, just a question (as the sound and the mix IMHO is very OK):

Why not use a Mic for the Guitar and one for voice, to be able to control volume and sound after recording ?

In fact on top of this, I am a friend of providing different virtual rooms for each sound source to get a more "analytic" listening experience. But this of course is my personal taste.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-09-2019 at 06:03 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
Jorgen
Human being with feelings
 
Jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 5,203
Default

A good recording to my ears, nice sound and balance between voice and guitar (this is how I do it myself, one single mic and off you go).

But you should practice the piece a bit more. The sounds are there, but not the performance, imo.

The song is good.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
prom
Human being with feelings
 
prom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 240
Default

Performance? ^Jorgen is probably right there,I can add nothing to that.

You time travelling man? I think yes.
Troubadour, bard, folk singer vibe is quite real here and this soul bared,pared-down style is right.You are mining shiny things from strata.
Digging dirt,nurturing organic life and finally trading for coin or produce can have some unexpected side fx/benefits it seems.
Continue with notebook until the studio that cares to correctly understand the talent opens it's door(hopefully it will also be using Reaper).
Bravo!
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings
 
RDBOIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: It changes
Posts: 1,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Performance? ^Jorgen is probably right there,I can add nothing to that.

You time travelling man? I think yes.
Troubadour, bard, folk singer vibe is quite real here and this soul bared,pared-down style is right.You are mining shiny things from strata.
Digging dirt,nurturing organic life and finally trading for coin or produce can have some unexpected side fx/benefits it seems.
Continue with notebook until the studio that cares to correctly understand the talent opens it's door(hopefully it will also be using Reaper).
Bravo!
What a great artistic comment!

I think I understand what you are saying. I will not stop my bard like endeavor, and will never stop mining information from the cosmic giggle until I die. This is why I started "Conscious Grooves" in the first place...

Can I effectively record what I channel remains to be seen, or heard...? All I know for now is that less is more, but less need to be enough.
RDBOIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Stinger
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 23
Default

I think the composition is excellent - the melody is catchy, and the good lyrics reflect an interesting view on life.

The guitar playing is 100% campfire-ready, but the singing.....maybe 80%. Most of it is right-on, but you try to reach some highs and lows that aren't right for you. When I run into that dilemma (often), I just change those parts of the melody that I can't handle. After all, it's your song - you can change whatever you want, and in the end, nobody knows but you (and us here on this page, but we won't tell).
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
(this is how I do it myself, one single mic and off you go).
.
Same here (well it's a stereo mic but placement wise, it's a single source).

@RDBOIS

Thanks for sharing, sounds good and you are certainly progressing, keep at it.
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,686
Default

I think this sounds great RDBOIS, I think it's the best I've heard you do.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings
 
RDBOIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: It changes
Posts: 1,314
Default

Thank you everyone for taking the time to listen.

I was expecting some criticism since I didn't really practice playing the song so much prior to the recording (i.e. I must of played it 3-4 times...).

Bulk rely to all you wonderful souls:

- Yes it would sound better with two microphones. I will set up better next time.

- Yes I need to practice more. While the highs and lows may be a challenge for me, as a song writer I have come to create challenging melodies, that reflect not my capacity, but what my 'inner ear/soul' is hearing. I'm trying to create vocal lines that have lots of dynamics. I know I can sing these ups and downs, I just need to practice more.

- I'm a bit surprised that some think this is one of my best so far. Haaaa, just goes to show that perhaps I'm on to something: All my friends love my songs when I play them "live", but they sound sterile when I 'click track record' and over produce them...

Either way, my goal is to simplify the process so I can record more songs. Like I said, I can't afford to over work a 'in the box' production. So, my next step is to figure out how to better record a semi (pseudo) live session.

I find it fascinating how purposefully letting in 'a few errors' in the process can generate a 'relatively good (better for some) product'?! Is this because humans long for more 'being' (e.g. truth, feeling, authentic experience), in a world that is becoming more and more artificial? Hmmm... It can also be something for the older crowd, because we have memories of song produced with 'less technology'?

I could be wrong, but for now less is more.
RDBOIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #10
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
- Yes I need to practice more. While the highs and lows may be a challenge for me, as a song writer I have come to create challenging melodies, that reflect not my capacity, but what my 'inner ear/soul' is hearing. I'm trying to create vocal lines that have lots of dynamics. I know I can sing these ups and downs, I just need to practice more.
Are you singing from your diaphragm RDBOIS? That's the key and learning to use your diaphragm can be easy, but also be very difficult. There is a little test you can do that will not only show you where your diaphragm is, but also give you and idea of some of the results once you learn where it is and how to use it.

To do this, extend your fingers straight out on one of your hands, then fold them in so they are about 90% with your hand. Now place the tips of your fingers directly in the middle of your stomach. Then while singing a straight "OOOOH", smoothly push you fingers in and out, several times on your stomach. Do it at different speeds to get the idea of how your vibrato should work. You do need to push in quite a ways to get the right effect.

Once you've developed your diaphragm muscles, you should be able to sing "OOOOH" quite loudly with a match directly in front of you mouth and not blow it out.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings
 
RDBOIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: It changes
Posts: 1,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Are you singing from your diaphragm RDBOIS? That's the key and learning to use your diaphragm can be easy, but also be very difficult. There is a little test you can do that will not only show you where your diaphragm is, but also give you and idea of some of the results once you learn where it is and how to use it.

To do this, extend your fingers straight out on one of your hands, then fold them in so they are about 90% with your hand. Now place the tips of your fingers directly in the middle of your stomach. Then while singing a straight "OOOOH", smoothly push you fingers in and out, several times on your stomach. Do it at different speeds to get the idea of how your vibrato should work. You do need to push in quite a ways to get the right effect.

Once you've developed your diaphragm muscles, you should be able to sing "OOOOH" quite loudly with a match directly in front of you mouth and not blow it out.
Thank you for the tip. I will try this :-)

I have been working on my singing from the diaphragm for a few years. But, I do need to work more on my technique.

It is crazy: I need to learn how to:

- write an original and interesting song, including the music and lyrics
- sing the lyric melody perfectly (including diaphragm techniques)
- play the instruments in time (not as easy as it seems)
- know how to add effects and mix the tracks
- master the mix so it fits inside the rest of the market
- etc...

All the while, I need to not 'not kill the creative process'.

One thing at a time; Tod I will try your technique. Thank you for sharing. Perhaps I will become a better, not so purposefully perfect artist. I need the errors in my craft !!! hehehe
RDBOIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.