Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
Pashkuli
Banned

Default ! Just an Idea !

So here's the deal:
Lets say that I have a couple of track (ex.: 3 female + 2 male vocal tracks) and I need to insert for each one of them a low-cut EQ.
For saving RAM I could fold them in a Folder Track and load the EQ like an FX. Simple, udeful... But!

But then I need to separately apply some FX (a chorus for a female and maybe a vocoder for the male and so on with the others) to the female and male vocal tracks AFTER the spoken EQ has done its job (to cut the rumbelling low-frequencies).

So here is the idea:
Could we load Folder-Tracks as na FX (in fact similar as multi-out VSTis) so when the spoken low-cut EQ is applied then the Folder-Track to be inserted and send its channels (Folder-Track's tracks) to new tracks so to manage it separately?

Or is any better existing way to do that?

Remember:
1. One low-cut EQ for all desired tracks (one FX-chain for all incoming tracks - one Folder Track with the desired tracks in it)
2. Applyable effects AFTER that ONE low-cut EQ (in fact AFTER the FX-chain) on each newly sent track from the loaded Folder-Track to the new tracks
3. The tracks stay separate as individual signals (just like multi-out VSTis sent tracks)

Is that possible Cockos? Or that question does not exist for you?
Thanks.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-10-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Mercado_Negro

This can be done with some routing and additional tracks. Let's say you got 2 tracks and want to apply the same HP filter to both of them. Insert a 3rd track and send them to it (track 1: 1/2->3/4 and track 2: 1/2->5/6) then insert 2 more tracks and send 3rd track to them (track 3: 3/4->1/2 and track 3: 5/6->1/2). This way your tracks 4 and 5 will be your tracks 1 and 2, respectively, but processed by the filter and you can insert independent FX chains in both. Right now I can't find a better way to achieve this because Reaper's routing is flexible but you'd need more tracks to make it work. Maybe we could have some sort of special feedback routing which would disable main outputs in tracks 1 and 2 so we can send track 2 back to them and be bale to listen to the processed signal.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
bradleyfilms
Human being with feelings

The third step is the stumbling block. You would need a multichannel EQ. Take ReaEQ as an example, it has 2 ins and 2 outs so all you can do is route one group of tracks to one channel and the other group to the second. This has effectively converted a stereo equaliser into 2 mono ones. You can now route 1 channel to another fx chain, and do something different with the other.
Fine, but what about adding a third input? Well this can only be added to pin 1 or pin 2 and will be summed with whatever is there.
Create a multichannel track, add an equaliser and click on where it says 2in 2out and you will see your routing options.
Steve
EDIT it can be done with a js equaliser. Set up a multichannel track. Route each input to 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc. Now route the outputs wherever you want. I keep forgetting how flexible these plugins are.

Last edited by bradleyfilms; 09-10-2009 at 08:26 AM.
bradleyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Mercado_Negro

All ReaPlugs are multichannel so that's a bad example but yes, 3rd step won't happen if your plug-in has 1 stereo out only.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Pashkuli
Banned

Thanks for the reply Mercado
I appreciate it very much but seems I do something wrong 'cause it doesnt work the way I expected
Realy great workaround but... too many tracks and routings.

Could you please check this test project (~625 KB *.rar archive, do not pay attention to my awful vocals please) and tell me what is wrong. I think I set it it up right but you know better. So I expected tracks 4 and 5 to be EQ-ed hardly (as you can see) but nothing of that happens.

Download it here please (*.rar archive): 1-Routng.rar

Thank you in advance!

-------------------------

bradleyfilms,
thanks for your answer too. And yes, I want more tracks as input not only two. So you are telling me that the number of input tracks is limited by the number of FX-multi-channel channels?

Hm... so maybe the Idea of the post is not so insignificant?

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-10-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Pashkuli
Banned

Half the way up.
I checked the multi-inputs/outputs for the ReaEQ 3/4 and 5/6 and it seems to work.

BUT the big problem is that the "outputed" tracks recieve every of the "inputed" tracks (duplicateing signal). That is not expected to be as that.

You can download it here to see: 1-Routng-b.rar

But the tracks is getting more and more if I have 5 or 6 or 7... 12 tracks of audio? And the organization that way is very, very complicated. So what about the idea cause some FX are not multi-outputable: dists, VST modules, etc.?

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Pashkuli
Banned

Sorry for the triple post but I think that when I want some group of Reaper tracks to be routed in a separate track (with some FXs in it) just like multi-out VSTi, there is misunderstanding in the routing:
1. Reaper tracks are by default in audio 1/2 channel
2. Multi-Out VSTis have the ability to separate its signals and only one of them to be trough channel 1/2

Even with the complex routing Mercado describes above there still be presence of that 1/2 channel form each recorded track (with rcorded audio) cause they all have that 1/2 channel initialy by default (that is why it is their Master checkbox!). No reaper track has multi-out capabilities.
In fact they seem to have but all of them start with 1/2 channel and rout it across 3/4, 5/6 etc.

So thats why I suggest a Folder Track to have the same multi-out features as a multi-out VSTi has. It would be great!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Pashkuli
Banned

Up... any suggestions how to make that happen?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
bradleyfilms
Human being with feelings

It doesn't matter how many channels your track has, if your plugin can only manipulate 2 channels at once then 2 is the number you are stuck with. Take your routing file above as a good example, alter track 2's send from 5/6 to 5, and track 3's send from 7/8 to 8. Mute track 1 and add an fx plugin (eg. delay) to track 7. Sounds lovely. Now unmute track 1. Oh dear!
The sort of plugin you need to achieve your goal will read 8ins 8outs when added to track 4. I thought I'd found the answer when a JS plugin reported exactly that. No, sadly it only processed 2 channels, the others were ignored.
If you do find a multi-in multi-out equaliser (or any effect, and preferably free) please tell me.
Steve
Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
Pashkuli
Banned

Yeah, pitty...