Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
serr
Human being with feelings

Default 3D audio formats: Atmos, Aura, DTS-X - Any examples to lure me in?

I'm interested.

I mean, the only thing better than more channels is even more channels!

I want to be positive about this. I need some kind of example to lure me in though.

I need to find some title to filch somewhere that has all the discrete channels available. (So... need to get setup with the decoder codec.)
Not just something with some polite wiggles and warbles and ambience either. (Hmmm... Wonder what the Flaming Lips guys are up to these days.)
Then it has to be alluring enough to make me hang speakers from the ceiling and all that to hear the full mix in 3D from 60 some speakers. (I'd be soloing sets of channels on a 5.1 array initially.)
The encoder and decoder codecs have to be reasonably available. I don't just expect freeware (but would appreciate it!) but if this is another $12,000 software suite thing... you know where to shove that.
I'd need to be taken in enough to want to mix in the format. (I'll be easiest to sell on this one. I already think that sounds like fun in fact!)
I'd be nice to know that maybe 5 or 6 people might ever hear any mix I make in the full format.
Right now maybe dozens of people have heard some of my surround mixes. And that's OK. I have dozens of clients. Maybe 4 or 5 of them have actually ever requested surround mixes to begin with. Pretty small time here!

I've heard comments like Atmos will only be making a reduced version available to consumers. Don't like the sound of that! (My knee jerk reaction when someone dangles something in front of me and then says "No, only I get this one! YOU can have this lesser version.")

My blunt concern is seeing this advertised with "Atmos" as a buzzword with shitbar fake speakers in Worst Purchase.
Yeah... Market this to people that can't even listen to stereo properly (because of the shitbar).
Makes me think this whole format will devolve into a movie soundtrack format and only have the occasional audio mix. And that with just a lot of ambient wiggles.

With that rant out of the way...
What software is available that has the encoder and decoder codecs? (For any of the 3 formats.)
Any recommendations for a mix that will lure me in? (Something wild. See above rant.)

Just to be clear, all the stuff where things scale down for lesser speaker arrays (even just basic 5.1) is all well and good! However, for a demo for myself, I kind of need to start with a full 60 something channel mix that's fully discrete and be able to decode it to discrete wav files.

Thanks!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote