Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
pixpop
Human being with feelings

Default Midi channel strip question

I have a workflow that involves taking midi files that are generated by a comnputer (i.e., not a live player). I then insert these as media items, routed to a number of vsts, mostly samplers. This is a compositional workflow rather than a recording one.

When I audition the result, I then go back to the computer and tweak the algorithm to generate new midi files, re-import them etc. I'm manually adding cc automation to each track in Reaper.

So In the mixer view, I have dozens of these midi tracks, and no audio tracks. Each one has a level meter and a fader that don't do anything. It would be very useful to me if they did do something.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to cause the fader to control some midi value such as velocity or a CC. Not the same for each track, so I would want to be able to select what it does for each one. Similarly, I would like to be able to have the fader display some midi value, instead of audio that's never going to be there.

So, my question: Is there a way to do this? I don't want to hide these tracks, I want to be able to manipulate them as they play. These channel strips have some useable controls, e.g. mute and solo buttons, but I can't see how to make use of the fader and level meter.
pixpop is offline   Reply With Quote